HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:21 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
"whinging" and moaning about what others may have to say on the subject is even less useful.
This is an interesting self-referential comment!
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:27 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
well... technically i wasnt really whining about what others may have to say on the subject. more like whining about somebody who was whining about what others may have to say on the subject. admittedly even less useful though. lol!
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:40 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
ok, then what is your guess as to why hk dropped a couple? i have seen more than one person shelve his 9x because it was too hard to use. er9x didnt help. and comments were specifically made about "too many dag nab switchy/knobby thingies". in fact i have a backup unit now as a result of that phenomenon.

voice? lets leave that to skynet... err... i mean... ersky. this is a $50 radio.
When I bought my 9X I knew there were tons of switches. I actually liked it more for lots of switches than cheap. Because more switches equals more possibilities!

Actually, if someone is dumb enough to not handle lots of switches I seriouly doubt they can handle 3D spatial control!
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:45 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molond View Post
Actually, if someone is dumb enough to not handle lots of switches I seriouly doubt they can handle 3D spatial control!
you are calling 90% of the rc hobbyists out there dumb. maybe uneducated in exotic high end radio featrures but i suspect not actually stupid.

personally id like to see a hex keypad installed on mine so i could compile and debug code w/o resorting to lugging around a pc. but, like you, im a minority and not the hk target audience. on the other hand as far as the extra switches and pots ive found little use for them. specially the ones that have nothing to do with planes or cant be assigned channels.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:53 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
you are calling 90% of the rc hobbyists out there dumb. maybe uneducated in exotic high end radio featrures but i suspect not actually stupid.

personally id like to see a hex keypad installed on mine so i could compile and debug code w/o resorting to lugging around a pc. but, like you, im a minority and not the hk target audience.
I did not say you had to use the switches. There are only four necessary swiches on the 9X, throttle cut and the three dual rates. Those are on every greater than 6 channel RX I know. If you give up you RX because of those and step down to one with one dual rate and a flap because 4+ is too hard, I'm sorry but you are dumb.

(They then jump into their car with over 25 switches, that's just hypocritical )
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:02 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molond View Post
If you give up you RX because of those and step down to one with one dual rate and a flap because 4+ is too hard, I'm sorry but you are dumb.
well i know the guys who can live w/o those bells and whistles and dont consider them dumb. certainly more competent in certain areas than you or me. its a matter of choice. flying mostly 2ch and 3ch planes myself i can appreciate a minimalist philosophy. for me ergonomic issues like size and weight are very important so ive adopted the v911 tx as my favorite. i did install er9x capability in it for other reasons. of course one can always ignore extra controls but cant use them if they are not there so thats another point of view.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:24 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
i suspect youve never actually owned a ccpm radio like the esky et106b. if so you would probably realize plane functions were an afterthought. many of the "errors" were actually a result of plane features hastily tacked on at the last minute. the 9x was misused (plane) and abused (lipo) from the start. were it not for 2nd party firmwares which made it more useful for planes i suspect the 9x would have been a flash-in-the-pan novelty and disappeared from the face of the earth.

of course you guys are entitled to your own theories.
Actually, now it makes sense. I would not expect someone who uses an ET106B to understand. I have in fact had an ET106B, as well as several 9X's, as well as many, many, many other radios, and nearly every one was CCPM capable. I was flying helis when CCPM was still mechanical, on the heli.

I think you have it backwards again. I think its more likely they tacked on the CCPM heli functions as an after thought.

Do you, or have you even owned a 9X, or any other "computer" radio for that matter?
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Last edited by KKUSA; Dec 14, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:55 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
Do you, or have you even owned a 9X, or any other "computer" radio for that matter?
in addition to my two turnigy 9x radios i just mentioned in the previous post there are well over a dozen 9x clones with er9x installed sitting around on the workbench in front of me:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1631369

amazing how some just jump to the end of a thread and start making noise w/o bothering to read even a couple posts back. seems specially common friday nights. i guess some of us like to start the weekend partying a bit early.

btw you might like to read the labels on your esky controls (if you actually have one) and compare with the turnigy. see any similarity? maybe not. try again early next week.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:04 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
well i know the guys who can live w/o those bells and whistles and dont consider them dumb. certainly more competent in certain areas than you or me. its a matter of choice. flying mostly 2ch and 3ch planes myself i can appreciate a minimalist philosophy. for me ergonomic issues like size and weight are very important so ive adopted the v911 tx as my favorite. i did install er9x capability in it for other reasons. of course one can always ignore extra controls but cant use them if they are not there so thats another point of view.
No, your original argument was that more switches was harder and people gave it up because it was hard.

Now they are being minimalist and find the switches easy and useful but just don't want them.

First rule of internet (and political) arguments is to not change your opion cause there is always a log somewhere.

Also, the 'minimalists' knew about the 7 switches and 3 knobs before they bought the TX, it was in the picture and I am sure it is in the product description.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:13 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
not changing my "opion" so much as looking at both sides of the issue. and your statement that minimalists find more switches easy and useful yet dont want them is looking a little cloudy sooooo... this is fun but getting really ot, im gonna hit the road (sober). fringe is starting soon and ill just make it.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:18 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
your statement that minimalists find more switches easy and useful yet dont want them is looking a little cloudy sooooo.....
That is the core difference between a minimalist and a 'dumb' person, the minimalist can use the function but just does not want too.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:45 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
btw you might like to read the labels on your esky controls (if you actually have one) and compare with the turnigy. see any similarity? maybe not. try again early next week.
I said I HAD one. It came with a RTF heli I sold off a long time ago. I have no idea what the labeling on it was, and I have no idea why you are comparing the two, or why it matters.

Why do you keep bringing up the Esky radio?

Maybe you should read few posts back and realize we are comparing the 9X with the 9XR , not either of those two with a basic Esky radio.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:45 PM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
in addition to my two turnigy 9x radios i just mentioned in the previous post there are well over a dozen 9x clones with er9x installed sitting around on the workbench in front of me:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1631369

amazing how some just jump to the end of a thread and start making noise w/o bothering to read even a couple posts back. seems specially common friday nights. i guess some of us like to start the weekend partying a bit early.

Feel like selling one?
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:18 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,472 Posts
Quote:

voice? lets leave that to skynet... err... i mean... ersky. this is a $50 radio.
Well, My 9x with a STOCK board and er9x, speaks, has a rotary encoder, full telemetry, and soon it might be possible to have unlimited models stored on the SD Card..
No ersky board needed
The 9x was a $50 radio as well and still is I guess. It would be nice that the 9XR could be modded like this as it is supposed to have better quality hardware..
So, switches and pots/sliders are always welcome.. 2 sliders/pots on the sides wouldn't be a bad idea but I think the development of the tx is already over and it could be already in production..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:36 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
I'm tipping a Monday release date. I think they'll get in ahead of the 20th as I think they picked a "worse off" case. Why do I think this? Byron was up very late last night finishing a video for the 9XR (posted on Facebook). Why work so late if the release date isn't for another 5 to 10 days?

So my tip is a release on either Monday or Tuesday.

Though I could be wrong of course.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea