SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2003, 01:10 AM
TEM
Joined Aug 2003
153 Posts
Powering the receiver without the ESC

I've personally have yet to burn up an ESC in flight, but I noticed reading some threads that when it happens a plane loses control and dives into the ground?

Now in that case, wouldn't it be logical to run a 5V regulator directly from the battery and then powering the receiver/servos with that and running the signal and black(I think) into the ESC. So if the ESC burns up, you still got some control? It'll be a few gram weight penalty but would be a worthwhile "insurance policy"?
TEM is offline Find More Posts by TEM
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2003, 10:32 AM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
You can use and external BEC. The UBEC from koolfightsystems.com works well. The other option is to use a battery. 4 or 5 nicad or NiMH cells work fine. Loosing an aircraft due to BEC failure is pretty rare, and almost never happens as long as you stay withing ESC maximum servo recommendations.

-Jim
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson