SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:33 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,548 Posts
Build Log
old school EXTRA!

as the title says, its an old school EXTRA!

ok I'm old school, so ya its all about castor oil, glow plugs, and FM radio's!

the Mrs got me a EFlite Extra 260 3d 480! not being a great fan of electrics and the fact there isn't any modern kits! I decided ta put my 20 4 stroke in the extra!

although all the glue joints looked excilent, I added some thin CA ta all the joints I could reach through the hatch!

the weather is looking fair for maiden tommorow! hopefully can find someone ta vidio for me!

at this point it balances out sweet side ta side and right on the money for and aft!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Mustang 450
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:06 AM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
looks cool! you may want to close up that firewall though, unless you want a plane full of oil on the inside.
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:28 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,223 Posts
Hey whiskykid....just noticed you are from Port Angeles...My son in law, Daughter and Grandson are headed your way in June..The Son-in-law and Daughter are both Coasties.
Nice looking ship you have there...I think I'd close up the firewall too....
I know there is nothing wrong with 72 MHz but I love my 2.4 and my gassers you ought to think about it
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:21 AM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,548 Posts
thats kewl jetmech! one of the more active members in our club is a coastie, but he's transfering away sometime this year! seems like a good guy!

and yes I closed up the firewall, laminated the bulkhead with some more ply to help stiffin it up and seal it!

also added a piece ta the rear of the landing gear ta seal and strengthin it!

and yes I have 2.4 but I keep it on my whirly birds, and edf's! it's just the last nitro I used it on went in 2 times in a row, the last time was terminal! broke the entena off so I don't trust it right now! will try it on one of my foamie edf's before that reciever goes back in a sweet plane like this one!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:41 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,548 Posts
got the maiden yesterday!

was cool and breezy, but doable!

she's all that I hoped for! no 3d beast, but a very sweet sport flyer that I can toss all over the sky!

I have hs55's for the ailerons, and I think with some digital coreless servo's she would realy come alive! so will be getting some better servo's now that I know how great she flys!

ta say that I'm liking this plane, would be an understatement!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:30 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,548 Posts

got a few more flights with the extra this sunday!

keep the momentum up, end she flys like a champ!

gonna push these hs55's and see if they can handle it! have the rudder over driven ta get max throw! and have the ailerons set ta somewhere around 90% are better! (secound ta last hole on servo, and the closset ta the wing hole on the ail.! still not what I would call 3d throws but should make ailerons more lively!

rain till further notice so will hafta wait on the results!

have a great one, hope ya all getting ta fly!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:41 PM
United States, SD, Sioux Falls
Joined Jun 2011
89 Posts
Nice looking build!!!!

Might just have to pull something like that here at some point.

It'd really drive the Electro-nuts crazy in the club!!!!

Steve
dragonsm is offline Find More Posts by dragonsm
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:35 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,548 Posts
did some maitnence

Istill love this lil bird!

did some maintnence and deep cleaning on my baby!

after adding a pilot, and aluminum spinner, I might have to rebalance, she seems a lil tail heavy now!

here's some new pic's!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:46 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,548 Posts
oh and yes! she is now Flysky 2.4
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:01 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,063 Posts
What are you doing to protect those servos from vibration? Those micro servos typically don't have grommets designed for them... or am I mistaken about HS-55's?
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:33 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,548 Posts
sry chili!

I must have forgot to mention, that the only HS55 left is on the throttle and rudder! and they seem to be holding up just fine! this airframe absorbs the vibs really well, not to mention the 20fs is pretty smooth!

the ailerons and elevator, have been upgraded ta EXI digital 9gm servos, much stronger and faster! the rudder will get one, on the next hobbypartz order that I remember that I need one!

problem is I suffer from a serious case of CRS! but for the most part, I don't notice the hs55 on the rudder!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:20 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,310 Posts
I've got an old-school(well maybe 5yrs ago) EFlite MiniEdge540 that I've thought about putting a nitro in. The plane is still in great shape.. I was thinking about an OS 25FP.. which would probably be pretty fun.

I'm just not biting on electrics anymore either. Its more work keeping track of battery info/needs and charging and remembering/tracking whats charged.. then it is to simply go fill the tank start it up and fly. I have to get in the car and drive anyways... If I had a park/school in my proximity, I know that would make a huge diff, and I'd be all over some of the electrics I've seen..

I'm still very glow friendly though.. even after 35yrs.

Thats a great combo there.. how is the vertical? I would imagine it just chugs right up there...
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:51 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,548 Posts
if I start with some speed, I have no probs getting to our 400ft ceiling we have at our field! thanks to being at the end of our muni airport!

I am considering putting some new bearings in her, as she has 1 of the oldest engines I own in her! but she flys great, or I wouldn't even think about it!

hehe ya you stick a 25 in that mini edge, and it would be insane fun!

I hear ya on keeping track of batts, I fly electric in my heli's and one jet for now, and rest is gas or nitro!
RCG Plus Member