SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:25 PM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Question
Spoilerons and Pylon Racing

I notice that some racers set their planes up so that on the straights the trailing edge is lifted a few mm to improve speed and then on the turns the trailing edge is dropped to normal position to improve lift and thereby tighten the radius of the turn.

My question is: How is this done? By a TX mix where the spoileron setting is mixed with the elevator I presume? Or is there some other way?

Thanks in advance!
Peter
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:18 PM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,735 Posts
I mix elevators to the spoilers, so when you pull they come down.

Red
Alien_Tech is online now Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:57 PM
DHG
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Jul 2010
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
I notice that some racers set their planes up so that on the straights the trailing edge is lifted a few mm to improve speed and then on the turns the trailing edge is dropped to normal position to improve lift and thereby tighten the radius of the turn.

My question is: How is this done? By a TX mix where the spoileron setting is mixed with the elevator I presume? Or is there some other way?

Thanks in advance!
Peter
Peter,

This only works on some airfoils, usually not enough gain to make it worth the effort. But those who do it use a separate servo for each wing panel (naturally) and an electronic mix function in the transmitter. On the JR transmitter, it's called the "flaperon" function.

One place where flaperons are helpful is on landing. I prefer to have the ailerons kick up slightly (actually a spoiler effect) as Red suggests. This dirties up the airplane and raises the nose for a slower glide.

Hope this info is helpful.

Cheers,

Duane
DHG is offline Find More Posts by DHG
Old Apr 07, 2012, 05:38 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Thanks in advance!
Peter
Never actually raced with it man, but snap flap is good fun. You do definetly get a boost in turn speed. A few models Ive set up a mix where 100% throttle reflexes the TE of the wing, and up elevator drops the TE (snap flap). As DHG says, it depends on the model as to how well it works.

Set up a few mixes and give it ago
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Apr 07, 2012, 05:05 PM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
....Set up a few mixes and give it ago
Thanks guys, I might just have to give it a go!

(I use spoilerons on a switch for my gliders and hotliners but never mixed with elevator and/or throttle before and just needed a push....)
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M