Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:13 PM
Clinton, Utah
Joined Apr 2008
284 Posts
Discussion
I want to start bagging wings

I am thinking about trying to bag some wings. I think it looks like it may be fun to do. I have looked at a bunch of vids on Youtube etc. What I am looking for is a way to start. Is there books or videos that will cover A-Z? Any help will be appreciated.
fabmaster911 is offline Find More Posts by fabmaster911
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:50 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,384 Posts
Can't get much better than Phil Barnes Vacuum Bagging Made Easy.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:02 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,439 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1625321

I am having a third anniversary sale on the instructional DVD's I have produced.

Please read the reviews on my website that George Voss did for RCGroups.

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:17 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,505 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190214
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:19 AM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,738 Posts
I have both videos. And recommend that you get both! The extra money spent on both will be recovered in money saved by not making mistakes!

Blue Skies........................Tim

P.S. PM me if you need a good vacuum pump, I have one for sale.
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:58 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,919 Posts
I think if I was going to bag a wing I'd get a big, repeating shotgun. But it's easier to buy or build them, and then you don't need to remove all those pesky pellets. ;-p
-----------
More seriously, I don't know what materials are recommended in the videos, but cheap substitutes are often acceptable. I generally don't do wet layup bagging, but since I have the stuff I use vacuum bagging for a lot of things. Today I just bagged a sneaker that I was gluing back together! Recently, I bagged a work bench using a tarp for a vacuum bag. Obviously only a new tarp will do, and I suppose there is a little bit of leakage, but it worked. 5 mil polyethylene from a building supply place works too. For sealing the bags, I use 3M strip caulk that I buy at an auto body shop place. I don't know if it's cheaper than the official stuff, but it works well and it's local. I use paper towels to soak up excess glop in the bag. I've used polyethylene sheet instead of mylars. Doesn't need waxing as it releases pretty well by itself, but it needs to be thicker as the material is not as stiff.

Depending on how much vacuum you need, there are alternative, inexpensive vacuum pumps. When I need a lot of vacuum (like, say, 20 inches of mercury), or a large volume of air to keep up with leaks, I use a commercially available pump, though I want a better one. However, I also have a moderately large aquarium air pump which I put inside a large can. The exhaust hose comes out of the can, and the hole is sealed so air can't get in past it. Another hose goes into the can, and that provides the vacuum.

If budget is an issue, check out surplus places. They often have pumps that are cheaper. Try to have a filter right on the inlet so crud doesn't get inside and mess up your pump.
-----------
Suggest for practice you bag cheap materials onto lousy cores or scraps of foam. Maybe cardboard or epoxy soaked kraft paper.(The latter, I think, might make an acceptable wing.) Once you've got these kinks worked out, you can then start working with wet layups.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:40 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2010
236 Posts
Phil, I'd like to order your DVDs, but none of the links below seem to work:

"Convinced? Good! Vacuum Bagging Made Easy is available from Bill Haymaker at: http://www.paonline.com/hayman/video.htm Forms of payment include checks, Money Orders and Paypal

http://www.polecataero.com
http://www.nesail.com"
Jimmitude is offline Find More Posts by Jimmitude
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:45 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,505 Posts
The correct link is:

http://home.paonline.com/hayman/PAGE2.htm
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Jul 2010
236 Posts
Works much better, Thanks!

Now I guess I don't have an excuse not to clean up the building bench anymore....
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:32 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,462 Posts
funny

"I think if I was going to bag a wing I'd get a big, repeating shotgun. But it's easier to buy or build them, and then you don't need to remove all those
pesky pellets. ;-p"

The last one I bagged was in a white trash bag after hitting the fence ;-)

I have been SLOWLY aquiring bagging equipment. no time line set though cuz its suposed to for fun. But eventually I will make a Supra. "prolly" do a few practice birds first though such as hand launch or smallish slopers.

TIP good cheap THICK plastic can be obtained at fabric stores. Its sold to make furniture protective covers. Lots of other fabric store goodies work well too.
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:28 AM
Joined Jul 2010
236 Posts
ozmo, I'm on that same timeline. I decided to try bagging wings last fall, and just got around to cannabilizing an old dorm fridge to make a vacuum system. Very low cfm, but can hold a vacuum of 27 in. of Hg!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:36 AM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,462 Posts
Cool,
I got the pieces parts for mine from a wood working place. Verneer press type thingy.
It is nice to have adjustability. I need to add some compressor oil to my window a/c rig.
I let it ALL out when taking it apart, nice cloud in the hood that day and my pick up truck topper doesn't squeek any more either :-)
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Last edited by ozmo01; Jan 16, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:19 PM
US and Costa Rica
Joined Dec 2004
1,256 Posts
Hi,
please forgive me for jumping into your thread but I'd like to start doing this too and I will order a set of Phil's DVD's next month while I'll be in the US but at this time I have a good chance to buy the pump here since it's a bit heavy to bring it down but I'm not sure if this would work or if it is a good choice.
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-...ump-98076.html
I know I can use a fridge motor but those are not free here.
All this is probably discussed on the DVD's but as I said I won't be able to see them until next month and there is a sale here where I can get this pump cheaper (for the first time in human history) than in the US.
Thanks for any input and apologies again for hijacking.
Fernando
ferincr is offline Find More Posts by ferincr
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Jul 2010
236 Posts
Fernando, I'm a little confused about the vacuum capability claimed in the ad, it says only 10 Pascals of vacuum, which is not much at all. The reviews quote anywhere from 30 in Hg (!!!) to only 12. You might ask them if you can hook it up and fire it up before you buy it.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:44 PM
US and Costa Rica
Joined Dec 2004
1,256 Posts
Yes, it is confusing that's why I decided to ask here to see if anybody was familiar with this pump.
So if I fire it up, what should I look for? since it does not have any gauges...
And I can guarantee that they would have zero idea. This place is like a HF surpluss store, it looks like they bring in containers with all the cr@p they can get and you have to go and dig around it's the "Ross Dress for Less" of tools

Edit: I just found in it's manual...
"...Then drain the refrigerant.
5. After reaching 26 to 28 in/hg vacuum , stop
and disconnect the recovery system...."
Is that enough???
I don't know how much vacuum we need
ferincr is offline Find More Posts by ferincr
Last edited by ferincr; Apr 26, 2012 at 07:02 PM.