Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
Discussion
Whats a good affordable RTF 4CH FP

Ok, I am good at flying the 3CH, I bought the GW 9958 to practice a 4CH with and am about to throw it at the wall can't get this thing trimmed and have gone through the how to's I found on here with adjusting linkages etc but still can't get a stable hover. I don't know if I just got a dud or what but I don't want to give up on heli's. I can't afford to spend tons but I was looking at something a little bigger that might be easier to work on and more stable.

I am looking at the Walkera HM CB180D, or Falcon 40 V2 from xheli. Is there anything I should know about these as to why I should get one or the other or maybe neither and if so what would you recommend?

I greatly appreciate any input or tips.
Idaho Heli is offline Find More Posts by Idaho Heli
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 02:53 PM
Suffolk County NY , USA
Joined Mar 2009
521 Posts
A 3 channel 'elevator' heli will teach you nothing about how to fly a rc helicopter.

Blade MSRX ( USD $150 RTF ) .. and radds .. ( Free )

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/msr-x-rtf-BLH3200

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

Pick up a few extra batteries ( 3 or 4 should keep you in the air pretty much continuously if you charge while you fly )

Seriously .. if you HONESTLY follow the radds process. You will be flying helis in no time. If for whatever reason , that process doesn't work .. then heli's are not for you :-(
Kevo500 is offline Find More Posts by Kevo500
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:19 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,256 Posts
The CB180D has been obsolete for several years. It was replaced by the CB180Z due to design issues. The CB180Z has also been discontinued, now. The Falcon 40 is a rebadged Walkera Dragonfly4, it was discontinued a long time ago. Parts for either of these helis could be an issue and nothing is compatible with current Walkera models, not even the transmitter.

I would also point out that your expectations are unrealistic. 3 channel coax helis are over-stabilized, self-righting, slow and have very limited movement authority. You aren't going to match these characteristics in any 4 channel heli. You are never going to get a 4 channel heli to just sit there in the air. You will always be busy, with both hands. A DH9116 might be OK for you. It's about the tamest performing 4 channel heli I can think of. But, once you get used to it, it won't be much of a challenge or learning experience. Since you basically have no real experience, it's not a bad place to start.

The MSRx is a lot more challenging, but it will teach you more and keep your interest longer.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
I'm finding that is very true about the 3ch vs 4ch but this little 9958 is pretty ridiculous to get trimmed unless I am just doing something wrong but it seemed pretty straight forward.

Thank you for the link to the Radd site I hadn't heard about that one and will go through it and read.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
Thank you Balr14. I probably got the impression that it would fly easier then it really is watching youtube videos lol. I am going to run by a local hobby shop with the 9958 and see if they will give me some input on what more I need to adjust on the trim and then just keep flying it till I figure it out.

Seems like lots of stuff on xheli is old then. Whats a good site to find more current models on? All the sites I go to seem like almost everything is always out of stock.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:18 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,373 Posts
You may find LHS will not comment/assist with products they didn't sell. Only a few will, or even know how.

The guys making videos already know how to fly helicopters. What you see is less what the aircraft can do and more what the pilot can do.

Helicopters are very busy flyers. They never stand still. The 9958 (at 1/3 the price) is not as tight a design as MSR, but there may be nothing "wrong" with the one you have at all and you just need to get accustomed to being busy keeping ahead of it.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
I adjusted it some more today and flew a bit more. Think I am starting to get it trimmed out a bit better and a little better at flying it. I will keep at it.

I will still like some ideas on what would be an affordable next step up from this one in a 4CH FP but not a micro. I would like to go with one a bit bigger that can fly outside better.

Again thank you all for the feedback I appreciate it.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:36 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,256 Posts
IMO, the best beginner heli now is the Blade MQx. They have outstanding performance, are tons of fun and you can't break them. Everyone I've recommended them to loves them!

About your 9958, for the money it's a pretty good heli, but it has a lot of shortcomings. There's a thread with mods and other things you should be aware of in the micro forum. But, the first thing you need to do is ensure the swashplate is level with the mainshaft and your servos travel in both directions.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
Yeah, I been reading that. Actually just got back in from flying my 9958 outside since its calm out and it was fun got some bank turns in and was enjoying it. After I get good with this one I want to move up to something a bit bigger and better. But boy is it different flying a 4CH over a 3CH. Much funner once you start getting the hang of it.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:37 PM
Suffolk County NY , USA
Joined Mar 2009
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Heli View Post
But boy is it different flying a 4CH over a 3CH.
While I think you may be starting to understand the concept , you seem to be just slightly missing the point

you don't *FLY* a 2/3ch heli , It flys itself. You just direct it to fly in a particular direction.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
Good point the 3ch does fly pretty much fly itself lol. But they make it seem like a logical progression 3ch, 4ch, 6ch lol. It doesn't work out that way.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 12:04 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,373 Posts
Lookit how fast you catch on, Idaho.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Apr 07, 2012, 05:21 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,256 Posts
We keep telling people 3 channel coaxes are a waste of money. But those Chinese keep making these little toys so cute and cheap, somebody is going to buy them. Actually, it gets a lot of people into the hobby that would have never been interested, otherwise. So, it's not all bad. I know I've spent a lot more than $30 or $40 on helis that were a waste of money, too.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:27 PM
Suffolk County NY , USA
Joined Mar 2009
521 Posts
I would not agree that they are a waste of money. I have 2 s107s in my fleet , and they get plenty of airtime. I even have 2 pair of 'laser tag' heli's at work for office warfare.

Just that folks should not consider that 'heli experience' , as the only thing similar between a 3 ch and a proper swash heli , is the fact that they both use a rotor.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Mar 2012
104 Posts
For affordable, I like my v911. Hard to beat the bang for the buck ratio. And it will bind with some 2.4 GHz Tx if you decide you want to eventually step up to CP helis.
GuitsBoy is offline Find More Posts by GuitsBoy