HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:42 AM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011
470 Posts
Discussion
Do you need a sim to fly/learn 3D

Ok so im learning 3D and was wondering. Do I need a sim? I have clearview but the graphics suck. Can I learn without a sim or would a sim help a lot? thanks
Pyrofan is offline Find More Posts by Pyrofan
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:56 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,458 Posts
A sim can help a lot. An epp foamy was the best tool that I ever had for learning 3D though. Being able to fly without worry, and crash without huge repair times allowed me to progress much faster than using a balsa airframe. My sim allowed me to get the stick movements down, but it's still not the same as doing it for real.

A sim and an epp foamy is ideal, but I'd go with the epp if I could only get one.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:57 AM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
A sim can help a lot. An epp foamy was the best tool that I ever had for learning 3D though. Being able to fly without worry, and crash without huge repair times allowed me to progress much faster than using a balsa airframe. My sim allowed me to get the stick movements down, but it's still not the same as doing it for real.

A sim and an epp foamy is ideal, but I'd go with the epp if I could only get one.
I have the epp foamy. So i should get a sim
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:01 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,458 Posts
They can be a great tool for learning, and save you money in the end. Go for it if you can.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:03 AM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
They can be a great tool for learning, and save you money in the end. Go for it if you can.
Ok. Im gonna buy phoenix
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:03 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:

learning to fly? sim will cost you less than 20x crashed planes!
learning to 3d? get a foamy and fly up 4 mistakes hig! sim is good for learning movements, but after that you still will have to learn a moves on a foamy/balsa
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:09 AM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
learning to fly? sim will cost you less than 20x crashed planes!
learning to 3d? get a foamy and fly up 4 mistakes hig! sim is good for learning movements, but after that you still will have to learn a moves on a foamy/balsa
Yea, I can fly pretty good. So now im moving on to 3d. So a sim should save me some time.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:36 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Sim can save you crashing time! Or if you, unlike me can wait until you mucle-memorize maneuver before bringing it down low, and bail out on time, not tryi.g to correct failed maneuver, you dont NEED a sim.. just fly hig and learn to bail out on time...sim does fly kinda different! Like foamy to balsa? Or like micro-plane to 4x inch plane! Both are planes, both you control the same way , just they react kinda different! Learn to fly one, you will still have to spend time transitioning to other one... But yeah, sim IS carefree! It saves crashing time...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:37 AM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
Sim can save you crashing time! Or if you, unlike me can wait until you mucle-memorize maneuver before bringing it down low, and bail out on time, not tryi.g to correct failed maneuver, you dont NEED a sim.. just fly hig and learn to bail out on time...sim does fly kinda different! Like foamy to balsa? Or like micro-plane to 4x inch plane! Both are planes, both you control the same way , just they react kinda different!
So, should i get one or not. yes or no
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:05 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,266 Posts
I say you should get one it's good for learning the general stick movements for new moves. I learn all new 3d stuff on phoenix then i go to a foamy(first my 32'' then my 44'') before finally trying it on balsa
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:06 AM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
I say you should get one it's good for learning the general stick movements for new moves. I learn all new 3d stuff on phoenix then i go to a foamy(first my 32'' then my 44'') before finally trying it on balsa
ok, just bought phoenix
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:56 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,605 Posts
i was going to say if you're interested, I'll sell you my G5.5.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:47 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,863 Posts
too late since you already bought one, but one of the side benefits of buying a sim, is being able to fly on-line with friends. Sometimes you end up bs'ng more than flying, but still fun. The key to learning 3D is simply two words "stick time". At some point you will need to transition to a balsa plane, but the amount of muscle memory that is built with stick time (whether balsa up high, epp down low, or sim) is invaluable!

Good luck, have fun!
CrashesALot is online now Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:14 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Yeah I was going to say get a telink xtra slick. EPP is so nice for learning.
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Telink-...xtra-Slick.htm

I've got a depron plane also and I have to be so careful landing it, its stiff though and at 40" flys a bit faster than my little crack yak.

I've messed around with the phoenix sim and while its nice I just can't get used to it compared to flying my foamies and balsa planes. Its the 2d vs real world and I've played a lot of video games over the years.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:18 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,477 Posts
You don't need one but it helps the learning curve.

Simple as that.
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55