HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:20 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,031 Posts
Discussion
What do you use to keep count of your flights and battery cycles?

I've been using RC Log app on my phone to keep track of my battery charges and use, along with my flights. Easy to use at the park. What do you use?
Left Coast DJ is online now Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:34 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,265 Posts
I have RC Tools on my Android ... I have various own made / downloaded excel stuff .... tried em ... gave up in the end.

I just go fly !! If battery fails - I get another.
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:28 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,667 Posts
My batteries tell me when they are worn out. They don't work well any more. I don't have to keep records. If you keep records, do you throw batteries away at a certain cycle count?
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:35 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
1,977 Posts
I do not keep track on either, kind of wish I had kept track kof th enumber of flight's on my T-28 though. Hundreds, that's all I know. Would have been an interesting count. Who's got time for that!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Jul 2011
204 Posts
Pen and paper for my p51 and fine point marker for batteries.
airwoods is offline Find More Posts by airwoods
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:44 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,265 Posts
I use permanent marker and then clear tape over - to create a unique ID for each battery ........... based on my keeping track of charging / use ... but after a while stopped recording ..... I still mark / tape each pack as I buy ........

But when a pack failed by virtue of crash etc. - showed it was a waste of time.
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:55 AM
RC pilots do it in the air
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Excel file, and a sticky note and pen in each of my UM boxes, and in the TX box.

I do label all of my batteries. I am more interested in it from an analytical perspective, I won't toss a battery until it stops functioning.
marke14 is offline Find More Posts by marke14
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:24 PM
United States, CA, Stockton
Joined Feb 2012
66 Posts
I decided to take another crack at RC flying last January and have been keeping a log of all flights in a "Mead FAT LIL' NOTEBOOK", I write down time of day, wind conditions, other events worth noting like a crash or how the plane handles with a larger battery etc. Batteries I just put tape on them if they are under performing so I can check them next time out.

From my log, 2/2/2012 3 hours 45 min on the Champ, ready to move on to the UM T-28.......... 2/17/2012 5 hours on UM T-28 time to try the UM P-51 etc etc, I just noticed in my log book it's been a month since I've flown! I better go charge some batts.
B Thompson is offline Find More Posts by B Thompson
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:47 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
If I record all that information it's like work and I want to get paid for it.

It's hard enough to just remember which batts need charging.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:36 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,685 Posts
Nothing, life is too short to get tied up in all the details. If the plane or battery wear out I replace them and move on. We do have a club member that has his entire life on a spread sheet, down to a page for money he's found in his lifetime.

So, to each their own, but recording each flight isn't something I can be bothered to do.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:52 AM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
I'm with Azarr.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Feb 2006
347 Posts
When I get a new battery I put the date covered by scotch tape.

I find age is a killer for lipos.After 2 or 3 years I give em away.
wrugen is offline Find More Posts by wrugen
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:53 PM
United States, PA, Union
Joined Sep 2007
202 Posts
Like Azarr said, life is too short to worry about that stuff for me. When a battery starts getting weak, I just use it in my slow stick till it is no longer worth using. I think that just with experience, one gets the feel of how things are going with batteries, motors, etc., and you just kind of know which ones worked out the best and what was junk to start with, and to be avoided in the future.

Then, of course you have all the collective experience of folks here to draw on as well.

Just go fly and have fun.
curly56 is offline Find More Posts by curly56
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:27 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,026 Posts
I number my packs, I try to use them in some sort of order, but like Azarr, I have watched him fly indoors and I now do as he does. Charge, fly, charge fly, charge, fly, when they wear out, in the fire pit they go. Fire pit is 10 feet across. They burn really great in there.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:32 AM
RC pilots do it in the air
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
It's funny that some folks seem to feel that keeping track is a chore. I think it's kind of fun!
marke14 is offline Find More Posts by marke14