HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:45 PM
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Nov 2008
76 Posts
Help!
Alaskan Bush Planes

I have recently found an interest in these planes, but cannot seem to find a dealer that carries them. What I have found is a lot of Piper Cubs and Super Cubs that have been "modified" to look like a Bush Plane, and this may very well be the case in the real sense of name "Bush Plane". But before I go destroying a perfectly good Super Cub wing trying to mod some flaps, I wanted to check with the RC community to see if I have overlooked a particular dealer who may carry "them" or at least a gas/nitro ARF Cub or Super Cub with a wing-span between 58-70 in. Many that I have found are electric powered, have no suspension built into the landing gear, and no flaps. The biggest concern I have is the flaps, which I have never added to a plane and would rather avoid all together. For example, the Hanger 9 ARF Super Cub - the 40 size is close, but it doesn't have flaps. The thought of taking the Exacto knife to that wing to add flaps just seems crazy and out of my league.
Quentus is offline Find More Posts by Quentus
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:03 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,588 Posts
How about the Beaver. No mods needed. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt the super cub already have flaps? Cessna 180, pretty much any of the light cessna's, Aeronca's, any light plane come to think of it. I've spent a lot of time watching the Alaskan airplane shows and find them fasinating. I was in Alaska in 1999 and had the chance to see several bush planes, even a 152 was used as an air taxi from the little dirt strips. Great Hobbies still has the UnionVille Beaver series, KMP had one at one time, I think ESM might have one. Dont know if they have flaps.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Last edited by edwin1; Apr 06, 2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:13 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,939 Posts
Super Cubs came with flaps, so a scale model should have them...

Though, if you can find a model of one, the Aviat Husky is a purpose built Bush Plane... more so than a Super Cub
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined Nov 2008
76 Posts
Thanks for the advice Edwin. From what I have gathered, many of the Super Cubs do not have flaps straight from the factory. If you do see one with flaps, itís usually because they have been added by the owner. At least that is what I have found. Cessna's are not tail draggers, and would look pretty silly with a tri-cycle set of tundra tires on them IMHO. I'm trying to stick with tail-draggers, as this is commonly what it found with the Piper Cubs, and Super Cubs. I went over to Great Hobbies and looked at the Unionville line and some look promising. However, Iím not particularly excited about a kit though, as I have never tried to cover a plane before and do not want to drop the extra money into the tools that would be needed to do this. But if these planes cannot be found in ARF, then I may need to learn a new trade. I didnít give the Beaver much thought, though many do come with flaps and are tail draggers. I will look into that some more. On a more personal note, I think the Savage Cubs are the best bush planes out there. I have watched video after video on them and their VTOL capabilities are spectacular. I fly at a deserted construction site and the varying landing surfaces Ė everything from mud and water to gravel would make a challenging if not exciting experience for any rc bush plane and wanna-be bush pilot. I could probably park a Savage Cub in my driveway and take-off from the street outside my house.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:06 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,588 Posts
The Cessna 170, 180, and 195 are tail draggers.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:09 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
Edwin
There's also quite a number of 150's that have been converted to tail draggers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentus View Post
However, I’m not particularly excited about a kit though, as I have never tried to cover a plane before and do not want to drop the extra money into the tools that would be needed to do this. But if these planes cannot be found in ARF, then I may need to learn a new trade. .
All you need is a covering iron and an X-acto blade technically... about $15 in covering tools. It's nice to have a a century 21 temp controlled iron and a heat gun to help shrink large areas, but not needed. A good complete set of covering tools will run you $50.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Last edited by ChillPhatCat; Apr 06, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,061 Posts
Eflite has a super cub with flaps, but it is electric and would need to be converted. I have been wanting to do a glow conversion on that plane, I think it would work.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:41 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
Edwin
Also the Cessna 120 and 140 when I learned to fly in the late 1940s.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Nov 2008
76 Posts
Even with the Cessna's I'm finding that I may have to go with a kit if I want the flaps. The CMP Beaver has my attention as an option to avoid the building and altering the wings for flaps. Don't get me wrong, I have always wanted to learn how to build these scale planes. It's just that I don't want to start with this plane in particular. The $ needed for covering are not as bad as I thought - thanks ChillPhatCat for the encouragement. I will just have to buy extra monocote as I am bound to screw things up. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:44 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
906 Posts
If you like bush planes you need to get acquainted with Unionville kits in Canada. The selection at the dealer below is less than I remember, but if you get in touch with them directly they may have more. But no problem getting Beavers and Norsemen...

http://www.greathobbies.com/search/r...UVH&srchcat=AK

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:28 PM
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
ESM Beaver review

Hi, thought you'd like to read my review of the TBM ESM Beaver 95" with flaps plane: ( Same POS as the KMP Beaver but $100 less)

Regarding Troy Built Models and the $340 plus shipping ESM 95 inch Bearver:

I'm now trying to build the ESM Beaver. First off, for the large price we pay, TBM should be embarrassed about this plane. I was missing a build manual, the horizontal stab metal pipe spar and a very long elevator or rudder metal push rod. The wheels, although lite, are the type that form flat spots when left for a few days. Really cheap. A good set of Dubro lites will be on your shopping list since you'll through these out. The directions are the pits. They should be called "Distructions". They're mostly drawings with very little detail or instruction or use. All measurements are in metric and some measurements are left out completely. Holes that should be predrilled becaue of a lack of space are not. The elevator and rudder push rods are not even 2-56, they're something smaller and way to small for this size of plane. I am also missing the main gear axles and wheel collars. The engine firewall has been recessed for some strange reason even considering that the plane needs nose weight. Mounting any engine will require stand offs, which I really dislike, or building an extension box. And they drilled a dozen or so 1/2 inch holes around the perimiter of the firewall fo some reason. Can't be to lose weight considering I'll have to add nose weight.

When I asked the customer service rep why I had no buiild manual he stated that there are so many changes they simply put the manual up on line. The copy I down loaded requires a magnifying glass to read and doesn't match the parts I''ve got to use nor the current build version of the plane sent to me. So much for staying current and honesty out of customer service.. Should be a forewarning to you.

The plane is covered with a clear heat shrink then painted, in my case, entirely yellow. they then paint over the yellow the dominant green and then the trim colors on top of that. This adds a lot of weight and needlessly. But it does explain the high wing loading specification.. Being a complete fiberglass fuse the aircraft should be a 12 pound aircraft. The wings are 2x heavier than my scratch built Tanzer Cabin Wing. The Cabin Wing is 240 sq inches larger. The Beaver wings are balsa and ply construction. Therer is no reason to be heavy except thru poor construction and covering techniques.

The packaging of parts is helter skelter. I had to go into two different unlabeled bags to find certain parts for a particular build step. Becasue they don't give you a master parts list you have to hunt bags to find what you need. A simpler way would be to segregate parts as needed in build step. Photos instead of drawings would help immensely.

The TBM video of this plane states if you're going to fly floats then a 50CC engine is recommended. This is the TBM "Beaver introduction" video that this currently on line for our review. When I asked, they're own CS rep contradicted this advise. This tell me they don't know this airplane at all and most likely haven't much build time with it either and nor distributiuon experience since i was missing so many parts. Had they had time then these issues would have been retified. Either that or they simply don't care about the lack of quality control in China. Profit, profit, profit!!!

This aircraft reflects the efforts of so many little chinamen sitting on an open concrete factory floor banging out product for 25 cents a day. For 40 cents we'd get a much better aircraft. This plane is simly not worth the money. The 39.2 oz/sq.ft wing loading should scare all. It should have scared me. I didn't pay attention. Shame on me. Woe is me.

I'm very sorry I bought this plane. It is not worth the price I paid. It's taken me over 4 hours of build manual decifering and parts bag investigation to find out what I'm missing. If they'd simply provide a master parts sheet it would simplify my efforts. I thought TBM was better than this but I guess I'm mistaken. I will not spend my money in their buiness again until they improve the quality of the product they sell as represented by the ESM Beaver.

I've put in calls to Troy Built Models today (Saturday) informing them of my missing parts. I left a message after a recording asking me to so. i.e., no one picked up. Let's see just how good their customer service really is. Will I have to wait days to get my parts? Or do they have them in stock and can overnight them to me as any embarrassed and reputable company would.

ToddThom in CT
toddthom is offline Find More Posts by toddthom
Last edited by toddthom; Jul 07, 2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes