HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:37 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,911 Posts
Discussion
Your opinions wanted please.DVR and keychain camera with video out.

Intent of this thread is to discuss...

The advantage or disadvantage of using a keychain camera with video out as a flight camera for fpv.

And.

Would there be an interest in a keychain camera that has video in with the ability to record the fpv cameras flight from the vrx to the micro sd card as in a DVR.
If so,what features would be important to you?

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:18 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,468 Posts
Has been discussed at some length here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1245662

I still would like to see an onboard SD recorder built specifically for FPV, but don't think it'll
happen. The one foxtech sells, is not really that small, requires a remote to operate and
records at a really low bitrate so quality is not that great.

You're unlikely to ever see a keychain cam with A/V out. It reads the raw CMOS sensor
info straight into the compression chip, so there's no analog version of the video available.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Aug 2008
4,911 Posts
Thank you for the link to the previous discussion on the subject.

There is a new keychain camera that has an A/V out that can record while also out putting a composite A/V signal.

This A/V out had got me thinking.
I have been discussing with someone who is "in the know" with the cameras developer about having a keychain camera or device of similar size that could be used to record the video out signal from the vtx.

In our discussion they say that there is not a need for recording composite video in this day and age of HD.

Also that it's basically not to difficult to build such a device.

I think such a device would be something of use for recording fpv flights and would like to find out how much interest there would be in such a device with hope that the developer would begin producing them.

I suspect some of my questions will be answered in that link you gave so i will read through that thread to find out.

Ridgewalker
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:59 AM
Joined Aug 2008
4,911 Posts
Read through the thread...
Funny to look back and see the #3 as even an option for recording aerial video.
The keychain cameras have come a long way since then.

The idea in that thread seems more like to have an onboard DVR between the flight camera and the vtx for capturing the video image before the vtx eliminating any static.

I was thinking more on the lines of a keychain camera ground recorder,but if it was keychain camera sized, onboard between the vtx and flight camera would work just as well as being used as a ground recorder providing it could handle static.

So here today,do you think there is still a need/demand for such a device?

Like i said there is the #18 keychain camera that has A/V out and can record to the sd card and output video at the same time.

Meaning if you wanted to,you could use the keychain camera as a flight camera and record at the same time,but i wouldn't want to use a keychain camera as my flight camera.

Now if they could just reverse that with an A/V in that records to the sd card,...

Here is a link to the #18 keychain camera with A/V out if your interested.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1627189

Ridgewalker