Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
Discussion
Do you think we'll ever see more obscure warbirds?

With few exceptions, the manufacturers seem to stick to the tried and true warbird subjects like P-51's, P-47's, Me-109's etc.

There have been a few more obscure types produced, especially by Jpower in their mini line. Do you think this will be a trend going forward? I mean how many Mustangs, Jugs and 109's can there be?

I think there is hope for more obscure planes, especially in mini lines, where i imagine production costs are far less.

The thought of subjects like Macchi 202's, Japanese Raidens, Yak 9's, Sturmoviks etc makes me drool. Or how about something really off beat like a Fokker D XXI. And with jet aircraft such subjects as Arado 234's or Hawker Sea Hawks would be amazing.

Perhaps i'm dreaming though and there just isn't enough interest in these types to justify production.
aferguson is offline Find More Posts by aferguson
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:03 PM
Lubbock, TX
Joined May 2008
467 Posts
They won't sell

FOR THE MOST PART THEY EILL NOT HAVE A LARGE MARKET. THE COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH THE R/D AND PRODUCTINO REQUIRES A Large return on investment. Unique models just don't sell as an example look at the U-2 from Hobby People......how many have you seen at the flying field? How many threads have you seen here? When was the last time you saw a ME 262?

NFG
Navy Fly Guy is offline Find More Posts by Navy Fly Guy
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:15 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,413 Posts
It's not just current either, this has always been the case even with kits. You used to always see the same planes at the local fields just with different power plants and different color schemes.

In a nutshell they make what sells.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:29 PM
WWII combat fan
Huddersfield
Joined Jul 2008
148 Posts
Quite a few of them you can buy - look for ESA combat.
I store Yak-3, and IAR-80 will be very soon available, and Macchi 202 as well
But are not RTF
KIT EPP and needs some work done - although very easy even for beginners.
There is a growing interest in ESA Combat in Europe - so I believe that is very likely you'll be able to buy all of those you mention
mammuth is offline Find More Posts by mammuth
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:07 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,350 Posts
still waiting to see a 1400 MM Mig 3 from FMS
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Apr 05, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
Hi mammuth....can you tell me what I store is? Do you have a link to their Yak and IAR kits?
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:00 PM
WWII combat fan
Huddersfield
Joined Jul 2008
148 Posts
Hi - it's www.flying-dog.co.uk/shop
here is the YAK http://www.flying-dog.co.uk/shop/yak...epp-p-102.html
IAR 80 will be added soon - last shipment came and my friends grabbed them all - just for the reason is something unusual - expect new batch in up to 2 weeks time.
mammuth is offline Find More Posts by mammuth
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:03 PM
TUK151
United States, LA, Ruston
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
Still alot of warbirds to model after. Some I would like to see in the 1400mm range, perhaps fms style kit.
LA7,LA-5FN, KI61, P51B, IL2, Storch, ME262, P39Q(many color schemes), Typhoon, Tempest, Nik2-J,
C.205,C.202, Brewster B-239, and Yak-9U.
Just some great airframes that come to mind.. Tuk151
Tuk151 is offline Find More Posts by Tuk151
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:55 PM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,596 Posts
Plenty of new models coming that have never been done before and not before time, I think the lack of choice in the past has more to do with Chinese factory mentality than actual sales, now a lot more imagination is being used, exciting times ahead.
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
thanks for that, mate. Good to hear.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:20 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Fly Guy View Post
When was the last time you saw a ME 262?
Dunno about that. I have a 1;12 me 262 for years, since '97.
It Still flies far better than any foamie ARF plane I've yet seen in 'action'.
Plus it attracts genuine attention... unwanted or not .
Truth is decent planes /models require genuinely competent design ..and ..engineering to even approach their full scale originals' potential.
Not very many at all of the people's republic made ARF models, sport much of either.imo.. to date at least.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:53 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,218 Posts
Seeing as how the "stock" of a lot of websites is sold out constantly I would think that they could make any plane and we will buy it.

Personally I would like some of our less know stuff like the A-35 Vengeance or the Northrop Tacit Blue.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:51 AM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
Seeing as how the "stock" of a lot of websites is sold out constantly I would think that they could make any plane and we will buy it.
Boom. Stuff sells out so fast if it's liked. Then no parts are offered. Then it's forever forgotten. Repeat.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:19 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing View Post
Plenty of new models coming that have never been done before and not before time, I think the lack of choice in the past has more to do with Chinese factory mentality than actual sales, now a lot more imagination is being used, exciting times ahead.
That's great news!
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:13 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,793 Posts
One plane that was obscure but popular is the P39 Cobra. While offered in the past Top Flight Red Box , then the Gold Edition , then ESM Giant P39 , after that never offered in EPO or 55" thru 65" formats.This plane in kit form (Top Flight Gold Edition ) as an example receives incredibly high bids and demands because its popular but not widely offered.
As a warbird the tri-gear system allows for easier rog then the tail dragger and in eletric formats remains much more scale then Glow offerings.
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm