SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
Question
double horse 9116 need help with

IV'E BOUGHT A DOUBLE HORSE 9116, AND I CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO SET THE CONTROLLER. YES IV'E ONLY FLOWN A 2ch coaxial mini. DOES ANYONE UNDERSTAND IT AND CAN HELP ME ENJOY MINE.
EMCycle is offline Find More Posts by EMCycle
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:44 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Stormforce DH9116 Tech Manual
DH9116 Transmitter - Signal Code Bind - Last page (Bottom)
http://customers.skymesh.net.au/~mat...ech_manual.pdf

Join the DH9116 gang and don't be shy
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...40154&page=124
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:07 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
WORDS WRITTEN IN UPPER CASE ALSO MEANS YOU ARE SHOUTING!!! Switch the caps lock off.

Come join us in the 9116 thread, we've heaps of patrons that have had your issue at one time or another, so one of us must have the solution you seek.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...40154&page=124
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2 Posts
Can someone post the DH9116 Manuals for the Heli and transmitter

Hi Can someone post the DH9116 Manuals for the Heli and transmitter or email me a copys as i just bought a new DH9116 from Amazon and the manual was missing.
i think this was used also it has a scratch on the cowling and i just took it out of the box.

Thanks
Dave!
email wireman1957@bellsouth.net

my website Custom Handmade in the USA guitar effects
www.effectspedalboutique.com
wireman1957 is offline Find More Posts by wireman1957
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:04 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman1957 View Post
Hi Can someone post the DH9116 Manuals for the Heli and transmitter
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=371
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:27 PM
Noob
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Hello,

As I see EMCycle received an answer, so I dare to ask help for me too

I own 9116. I am new to any kind of RC.

I want to modify my 9116 so it could fly more than 10 minutes, but actually cannot think of anything possible. At first I thought to plug bigger battery. My friend has same kind of 9116 and he got replacement battery from somewhere I don't know with higher mAh. he gained literally 75 seconds! on the other hand, after the flight his heli is way hotter than mine.
So i thought maybe it is worth to modify more than replace a battery, so I found a web site that trades motors for helis. they trade brushless motors 2200-3000kv for around $15 and I think it is cheap. if i mount this motor to my 9116, i can plug bigger battery (as I know brushless motors do not overheat as easy as usual ones) and gain some more operating time.

how do you think, will this work?

PS. this is my first post on this forum, so if i posted wrongly - i am really sorry.
PSS If I am asking something really stupid, be kind to tell me
GrigolS is offline Find More Posts by GrigolS
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:25 PM
United States, LA, Westwego
Joined Aug 2011
15 Posts
Welcome Grigols to the world of dh9116. You need to post your question in the New dh9116 thread . There is a lot of people who will be glad to help you.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...773527&page=33
snn316 is offline Find More Posts by snn316
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:43 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,435 Posts
A larger battery or brushless conversion would expose a lot of potential problems with the DH9116. It's a toy grade product that isn't designed with much excess capacity in any area.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:32 AM
Noob
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
thanks, will go to that thread.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:35 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,435 Posts
Here are things you need to consider:

The heli is overweight and motors are marginal. Increasing weight with heavier batteries will only damage the main motor sooner. There aren't any good upgrades, either. They only make these tin can motors in fixed sizes and the 180 is the only size that fits.

A brushless upgrade requires a motor, ESC, signal converter and some very careful soldering on the PCB. The PCB already has marginal quality soldering and undersized wires. The cost would be about $60.

The shape of the stock blades has lots of drag, meaning you would need to find blades that fit the performance curve of a brushless motor or it will draw excess amperage and toast your PCB.

Assuming you overcome these issues, you will have a main motor that's too powerful for the tail motor, which is very weak to begin with and only lasts a few hours. You will have to upgrade the tail motor, putting more load on a weak PCB.

Assuming you overcome that problem, the heli will have more power than the weak head design and servos can handle.

The best thing you can do with this heli is to upgrade the wiring. Not an easy task, but it does aid performance and provide more efficient current flow.
Last edited by Balr14; Jan 07, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:51 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,472 Posts
More details, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Here are things you need to consider:

The best thing you can do with this heli is to upgrade the wiring. Not an easy task, but it does aid performance and provide more efficient current flow.
Bair14,

Which wiring are you referring to in your statement about upgrading? Just the main motor wiring like Steve did or are you also talking about the tail-motor and/or battery to pcb wires?
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:16 PM
Noob
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Barl14
from what you wrote only conclusion of mine, is that I should leave this thing as is and look for a better option.

Can you recommend any electric helicopter that can fly at least 15 minutes with one charge?

I can spend about $150 on it, not more...
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:36 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post
Bair14,

Which wiring are you referring to in your statement about upgrading? Just the main motor wiring like Steve did or are you also talking about the tail-motor and/or battery to pcb wires?
I was mainly referring to what Steve has done. The tail motor assembly really needs replacing with a direct drive unit. At that time I would look at the wiring. I didn't think the battery wires were bad, though upgrading to better C rating might mean bigger gauge wires and better connectors. I would ask Steve about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigolS View Post
Barl14
from what you wrote only conclusion of mine, is that I should leave this thing as is and look for a better option.

Can you recommend any electric helicopter that can fly at least 15 minutes with one charge?

I can spend about $150 on it, not more...
Other than replacing failed parts, there isn't a lot to be gained by upgrading this heli. Use it as is, learn what you can from it and move on.

Flying for 15 minutes per charge is unrealistic with any heli. You would be carrying more weight than you should. It will impact performance and make your motors run hotter. But, most of all, it's hard to maintain the level of concentration needed for that long. It's far better to fly for 7 or 8 minutes, swap batteries, wait a minute or two and go again. You can repeat that cycle for hours. I have quads that will fly for 15 minutes, but that's a different kind of flying. I can turn on several flight assist modes when I want to take break from concentrating hard.
Last edited by Balr14; Jan 07, 2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:40 PM
Noob
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Barl14,

Thank you very much for comments

I will order replacement batteries and study as much as i can
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:05 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,939 Posts
15 minutes is a long time to fly. 10 minutes is long time to fly a heli/ quad maybe. Most 4 ch/ 6ch six minutes is decent flight time. Quads 6-8 minutes is good.
Heat is main problem as these motors have no fluid going through them or any coolant. Bigger batteries/ motors etc will affect pcb but you will find out. 9116/ f-45 are entry level cheap helis. Yes they fly. Rotating helis can give you hours of flying. Fly one let one cool off/ extra batteries/ cool down time you are good to go. Have fun
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04