HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:40 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
421 Posts
Discussion
FPV Camera in $50 range...

I am looking for one that could have acceptable resolution and backlight compensation plus I'd like to use it both in day and night time.

Do I have any chance?
iskoos is offline Find More Posts by iskoos
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:16 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
1,879 Posts
Check out the PZ0420 from SC2000
philthyy is online now Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Nov 2005
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy View Post
check out the pz0420 from sc2000
+1
soulreaper is offline Find More Posts by soulreaper
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:51 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,966 Posts
ya man, any of the 1/3" sony cam's 540 to 600tvl that have a programming card take little effort to look great.

just set the white / color balances manually & tlel them to expose to the bottom of the image.
you dont even need BLC, etc features if you set the camera up properly. all that stuff does is screws with colors hah (almost any of the descent cameras look better setup manually without such features than just enabling the features & leaving everything automatic!!!)
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:53 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Check out the PZ0420 from SC2000
A review for this. It's $52 shipped from here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdqsClsJyUU
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:21 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
421 Posts
I really liked the PZ0420. There are 2 things though:
- It is not encased
- It doesn't have a mic...

I will put that thing on a quad and if it doesn't have a case, it won't survive a crash.

I searched the same website and found this. The PL0848. It seems it has everything I might need.
It is 540 TVL instead of 600 and I don't think it makes tons of difference...
What would I lose if I go with PL0848 instead of PZ0420?

Thanks
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:50 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,651 Posts
That doesn't seem to have an OSD interface. Which means you can't adjust all of the internal settings like the PZ0420.
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,879 Posts
SC2000 sells a case for the PZ0420. I actually just ordered it last week. If you look on their thread here, in the last two pages or so, you'll find the link. I would get you the link but I'm typing this on my iPhone and I don't know how to copy and paste links yet with this thing.

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...udio-Hole.html

Ok hopefully that works...
Last edited by philthyy; Apr 04, 2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Add link...maybe
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:53 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
421 Posts
Looks like that case will fit nice.
I know I ask too much but do they also have a mic to go with it?
I can't do FPV w/o sound. It is important for me to hear the motors.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:10 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Auckland NZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,711 Posts
does your fpv tx have a mic?, some do. What model fpv tx have you got?
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:33 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
does your fpv tx have a mic?, some do. What model fpv tx have you got?
I got 900mhz 500mw Tx. I am pretty sure it doesn't have a mic...
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:12 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,013 Posts
Microphone is related to camera only when you think in CCTV / surveillance terms.
For FPV microphone is related to VTx. There is no reason to place microphone near camera, complicate wiring, and capture a lot of wind instead useful sounds.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:42 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,879 Posts
Rangevideo used to sell their Vtx with a breakout board that included a microphone built in. It was just double sided sticky taped to the Vtx. I actually don't really use my mic much. Is it helpful to be able to hear the motors?
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:11 AM
FPV Lawyer
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,274 Posts
I use this camera from SC2000:http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...ide-2.1mm.html

540 TVL, cased, with built in mic - $51.50. Works absolutely great for FPV. It's not programmable, but it doesn't need to be. Stock configuration already exposes to the bottom of the image. My exposure levels are better than quite a few videos I've seen with cameras that do have adjustable settings. I can fly straight at the sun and the ground always remains properly exposed. I've also really appreciated having a built in mic. Yeah it pics up a lot of wind noise, but my motor is usually louder, and it's really nice to be able to know exactly what my motor is doing. Any anomalous sounds can let me know if there are problems with the motor or control glitches/failsafes. I'd feel really uncomfortable flying without onboard sound.

One necessary mod for this camera - I flew with the 2.1mm lens for about 3 months, but found it too wide and hard to make out things on the ground from any significant altitude. Use a 2.8mm lens with it instead, which I've found to be just right.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:01 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Microphone is related to camera only when you think in CCTV / surveillance terms.
For FPV microphone is related to VTx. There is no reason to place microphone near camera, complicate wiring, and capture a lot of wind instead useful sounds.
You indeed right about the annoying wind sound but not having a mic. inside the camera case actually means more complicated wiring when you add one as an external unit. I prefer having a mic if I have a chance...

Quote:
Rangevideo used to sell their Vtx with a breakout board that included a microphone built in. It was just double sided sticky taped to the Vtx. I actually don't really use my mic much. Is it helpful to be able to hear the motors?
May sound weird but it really is very helpful to hear the sound of the motor(s). It tells you if anything is going wrong.
I just can't imagine doing muted FPV. It would feel something is missing...
I can't do it w/o sound...

Prelator, That's exactly what I posted above as an alternative but they said it wouldn't have the OSD feature. I thought it was just an on screen adjustment and further adjusment could be done by hooking it up to computer. But it seems no adjustment could be done for that camera. It is so sad. That camera would have everything I wanted otherwise... I believe you saying that OSD may not needed but it still something I want as well.
I still couldn't decide 100%
Last edited by iskoos; Apr 05, 2012 at 03:08 PM.