HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
11 Posts
Question
Hovercraft Theoryy & Application

I was wondering if someone might point me in the direction of some basic beginners hovercraft design theory as it applies to RC hovercraft...

I've had a number of ideas lately, having just gotten into RC craft but im on my third build and at this point while it's been bumpy, it all works so far .

One of the designs I've been contemplating is using static pressure (I guess it's not static while it's in use!) inside a cavity (much like a hovercraft) to provide lift or control based on opening a series of louvers.

The idea is based on some of the designs i've seen in the VTOL board, but I'm interested in adapting the approach in general to a variety of craft - that is, using a motor to provide constant airflow/pressure to a cavity within the craft, and exhausting that air to provide control and thrust.

What I'm uncertain of is even where to start when it comes to sizing a motor, choosing a prop/turbine/impeller, and perhaps some of the techniques used in RC hovercraft. In a hovercraft application, a relatively small amount of air is actually exhausted in that the static pressure is maintained more or less static (due to the skirt) - but it occurs to me that given all but the simplest of aircraft designs, forcing an airplane propeller to move air through any length of duct that isn't a straight-through will introduce large inefficiencies, effectively limiting your exhaust airflow to the flow generated by whatever static pressure is being maintained.

At this point though - as its obvious to tell - a lot of this is based on "it seems like...". Any direction or links to similar kinds of projects would be appreciated.
srmaddox is offline Find More Posts by srmaddox
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 05:01 PM
THE BUILD IS ON
United States, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Apr 2012
786 Posts
This one is pretty basic, but has more links at the bottom.
RPM314 is offline Find More Posts by RPM314
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Falcon Mk.VI
Old May 10, 2012, 01:59 PM
MHA webmaster
United Kingdom, England, Reading
Joined Mar 2011
207 Posts
I'd recommend getting hold of some books on full size theory as the rules are pretty much the same - the classics include Hovercraft Design and Construction by Elsley and Devereux, Marine Hovercraft Technology Robert L Trillo (http://www.marinehovercrafttechnology.co.uk/) and Jane's Surface Skimmers from various years - and then look at model books like Mark Porter and Kevin Jackson's Introduction to RC Hovercraft (http://www.hovercraftmodels.com/Intr...Hovercraft.htm). These will give a very firm grounding in hovercraft theory. However, sizing motors and props etc. these days is a bit of a black art and even the RC book was written before the advent of brushless motors into the hobby. But in general what it means is that you have potentially a lot more power available than in the past.
jpcwebb is offline Find More Posts by jpcwebb