Closed Thread
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:55 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Tom...this is not my first time in one of your threads..lol...i know to read the first few posts,and have read the first few posts!

What are you trying to tell me.

I know it does not do A/V in.

Reason i mentioned it is if the camera developer is reading maybe it will get them thinking about it....maybe for a future project...maybe it could be added to this camera...no clue...i leave that up to the programmers to figure out.
Ridgewalker
Yes, I understand. I can't keep track of who all visits the site, thought I do recognize your name! I was just stating for who ever else read these posts...

Quote:
No it's not good enough for me to purchase this camera just because it has A/V out...i have no need for such a feature.
Although i do understand that there may be some out there who do.
My need would be an A/V in with the ability of recording of the A/V in signal for use to record the actual video from the fpv flight camera.

Would mean more sales for the developer if the camera could do that.

Ridgewalker
For the record, I have no need for anything FPV related! But many who do have been clamoring about making the #11 and #16 with video out... virtually nil for video in. There's other cameras that can do that where tiny size and weight and HD capability is not needed. So I doubt this will add much sales to the camera. But that's just me talking... someone who does not and has no intention of flying FPV gear. I'll let the developers decide, but I first hope they can fix the random file corruption bug (which I will document shortly) and tame down the saturation to look more normal, something that a lot of people want!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Apr 05, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:37 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,527 Posts
Loop Recording Confirmed and File Corruption Bug Discovered

See post #2 for an update on the camera loop recording function and an unanticipated file corruption bug!!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Apr 05, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:51 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,911 Posts
Hmm,surprised about the want for a video out with the two of them.
A keychain camera is not something i would trust as my primary flight camera,as a secondary recording camera on the plane though they work well.

Here is a link to a thread about DVR's.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=dvr&page=142

There is always a demand for them...it's finding one that is low cost and records well that can be tough.

You know...i'm no programmer or PC expert by no means.lol
But if the developer can make a little camera with a lens and A/V output then maybe for them a little DVR (doesn't even need a lens) wouldn't be to tough to design.
All it would need to do is record a standard def composite signal in and on to the memory card.
Turn the unit on,plug your RCA video out from the video rx into the cameras RCA video in,have a flashing LED (like the #16) to let the user know the device is recording and that's it.
Maybe also have selectable recording screen res that the user can choose.
800x600, 640x480, 320x240

I won't continue on about the subject (unless you feel it's needed) because i know you would like to keep the thread on topic...# 18 keychain camera.

Feel free to pm me if you care to discuss any further.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:02 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,527 Posts
Quote:
Hmm,surprised about the want for a video out with the two of them.
A keychain camera is not something i would trust as my primary flight camera,as a secondary recording camera on the plane though they work well.

Here is a link to a thread about DVR's.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=dvr&page=142

There is always a demand for them...it's finding one that is low cost and records well that can be tough.

You know...i'm no programmer or PC expert by no means.lol
But if the developer can make a little camera with a lens and A/V output then maybe for them a little DVR (doesn't even need a lens) wouldn't be to tough to design.
All it would need to do is record a standard def composite signal in and on to the memory card.
Turn the unit on,plug your RCA video out from the video rx into the cameras RCA video in,have a flashing LED (like the #16) to let the user know the device is recording and that's it.
Maybe also have selectable recording screen res that the user can choose.
800x600, 640x480, 320x240

I won't continue on about the subject (unless you feel it's needed) because i know you would like to keep the thread on topic...# 18 keychain camera.

Feel free to pm me if you care to discuss any further.

Ridgewalker
Yes, its' doesn't take a technological genius to make a composite video recording device. It's pure marketing. Who has a need for recording composite video in this day and age of HD video! The fact that there aren't many to choose from is testimony to the lack of demand for such ancient recording format devices.

FPV is a pretty small segment of camera purchasers, and from what I've read in the threads here, most seem to be happy with a single small, lightweight, inexpensive device that can record on-plane video and output to a video TX for relay to the ground. From what I've seen, it's not the camera that craps out on the aircraft, but rather the composite video transmission equipment!

Anyway, I'm only a casual observer and not an FPV flyer, so probably enough said about it as you said. Back to the #18 for what it is and what it isn't.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Apr 05, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:04 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
I got #18 firmware in my hands, I've flashed it on my #11 and it works. The only problem is (so far) the absence of timestamp-less FW and the fact, that the colors are quite oversaturated. I've tried to go back to the previous, original #11 firmware, but the image is so dark, that you maybe see one lighter spot, if you point it out of the windows to the "sunny outside".

One more thing: is there somewhere the operation manual? It seems that it operates differently, as switching between photo/video mode doesn't work anymore.
kokesh is offline Find More Posts by kokesh
Last edited by kokesh; Apr 06, 2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:00 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,508 Posts
Thanks Tom. I hope they have a quick fix.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
See post #2 for an update on the camera loop recording function and an unanticipated file corruption bug!!
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:13 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokesh View Post
I got #18 firmware in my hands, I've flashed it on my #11 and it works. The only problem is (so far) the absence of timestamp-less FW and the fact, that the colors are quite oversaturated. I've tried to go back to the previous, original #11 firmware, but the image is so dark, that you maybe see one lighter spot, if you point it out of the windows to the "sunny outside".

One more thing: is there somewhere the operation manual? It seems that it operates differently, as switching between photo/video mode doesn't work anymore.
I've got three #18 FW, one which has no time stamp, but no recording indicator either. The other two have time stamp, with and without recording indicator. I think all have the file corruption bug I mentioned in post #2, so I haven't posted them yet.

There is a defined procedure to make your #11 into a #18 which involves installing a new boot loader in the #11 first. You must have done this to get the #18 FW into the #11, but maybe it does not flash back to a #11 properly and maybe that's why the image is so dark? I have not tried this yet because the instructions I have are a bit confusing. I want to confirm things work before posting here for download. I also have the time setting file procedure and will post in reserved post #3 soon.

I assume you got the one and only manual I did (image in post #1). The webcam toggle is the only thing I found that does not work as stated, but I found a simple and reliable way to do it (will post that soon as well).
Last edited by Tom Frank; Apr 06, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:17 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Thanks Tom. I hope they have a quick fix.
Cheers,
Jim
It took about 4 revised firmware attempts to fix in the #16 as I recall, and I still don't know what the root cause was. I hope they turn down the saturation a couple notches at the same time!
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:14 PM
France, Pays de la Loire, Nantes
Joined Sep 2010
174 Posts
Thank so much Tom Frank for your great work!

Now the ideal test would be to shoot AV out in FPV condition (so camera put in plane). THIS IS what this camera was built for, and this is what interests people who want to buy it (like me )

an adventurer would be part of?
alex_007 is offline Find More Posts by alex_007
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:54 PM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
734 Posts
Has anyone try this camera on FPV airplane yet? I mean using this camera as the FPV live viewing camera, not for recording.
This cam is much much lighter that the GoPro!

There are two versions here, the #11 with AV out and #18 with AV out. Which one is better for FPV.
lrplin is online now Find More Posts by lrplin
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,508 Posts
Hi I,
...I can hear Tom sighing... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=43

Although there is controversy on the naming convention, the #18 is a updated #11 with firmware and an 8 pin USB connector allowing A/V out. The first posts of this thread shows the A/V out to be about 1/2 second delayed. No one that we know of has actually used it for FPV as yet.
Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrplin View Post
Has anyone try this camera on FPV airplane yet? I mean using this camera as the FPV live viewing camera, not for recording.

There are two versions here, the #11 with AV out and #18 with AV out. Which one is better for FPV.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:08 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,527 Posts
Quote:

The #11 does NOT have AV out. You need to re-read the information. The #18 firmware can be loaded into the #11 to take advantage of any video quality improvements, but it will NOT have AV Out capability. The AV Out cable doesn't even fit the #11 plug.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:10 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
You were right!
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:26 PM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The #11 does NOT have AV out. You need to re-read the information. The #18 firmware can be loaded into the #11 to take advantage of any video quality improvements, but it will NOT have AV Out capability. The AV Out cable doesn't even fit the #11 plug.

I did read it correctly, please take a look at this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-HD-Key-...item231ba90577
lrplin is online now Find More Posts by lrplin
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,508 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=56
The New #18 HD Keychain Camera with AV Out (READ POSTS #1-#5 First)
Quote:
I did read it correctly, please take a look at this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-HD-Key-...item231ba90577
Closed Thread