HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:26 PM
Robot, RC Pilot & Builder :-)
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,177 Posts
Friday at NEFI... was awesome!

I had a blast meeting everyone, flying together... and Mark & I provided FPV video rides for so many people... Dave & Bob (and many other folks) both flew via FPV!

Jay, Dave, Bob, and all the other, awesome AMA folks who work to make our hobby possible... Thanks!!!

Today was a great day for FPV in the USA... today, Dave Mathewson and Bob Brown, our very own AMA Executive Director and President, both flew via FPV!! Thanks to you both, for discussing FPV and it's future within our hobby, and for checking out this awesome, fun and exciting new portion of aeromodeling... spreading the joy of aeromodeling!

Mark, Thanks, my friend... you are a great ambassador for our hobby of FPV!

Here are my pictures from today... Saturday should be even better!

Kevin
kevinhines is offline Find More Posts by kevinhines
Last edited by kevinhines; Jun 23, 2012 at 07:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:38 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
United States, NC, Pfafftown
Joined Feb 2001
3,584 Posts
Way to go Kevin and the PecanPatch!

I hope you guys had a great (and productive) time!!!

Tim
IFLYOS is online now Find More Posts by IFLYOS
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:29 AM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYOS View Post
Way to go Kevin and the PecanPatch!

I hope you guys had a great (and productive) time!!!

Tim
Thanks, Tim!

Mark (Pecan Patch) and Jay are great ambassadors for FPV... Mark gave so many people FPV flights... and Jay encouraged us to do so...

I think everyone really enjoyed flying via FPV.

Thanks!
Kevin
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:01 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,467 Posts
I'm sorry I missed it this year. You guys look like you are having a lot of fun!
KFC is offline Find More Posts by KFC
Old Jun 23, 2012, 06:50 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Feb 2008
118 Posts
Great event. Enjoyed the day. Thanks to all that made it happen.
bamoore01 is offline Find More Posts by bamoore01
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:14 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
4,982 Posts
This is a great thread, but it would be 100% better if there were more pictures. It is fine now, but more is always better.

So far there have been many great pictures, so thank you those of you who have posted pictures here.

Thanking you in advance.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden Flight today.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:42 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,075 Posts
Subscribed glad I made it this year.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:14 PM
The Best or Nothing
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2008
196 Posts
Friday:
RustyT3FT is online now Find More Posts by RustyT3FT
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:39 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post
I'm sorry I missed it this year. You guys look like you are having a lot of fun!
Hi Chris, I wish you were here... I look forward to seeing you at next year's NEFI...

Kevin
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:43 PM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
937 Posts
I attended on Friday. This was my 1st oppurtunity to participate in such an event at Muncie. Years ago, I did enter the e-glider NATS and the rookie placed 10th. While my main purpose was to help a friend entered in the ALES competition on Friday, I did bring 2 new electrics to try out at the open fly at the beautiful smooth runway site.
This is the honest impression of an older AMA member (original # was in the 6,000s in the 1950s). Registration was helped by the people in the bright green T shirts. Two possible signs of the economical conditions were 1st the relative low number of registeries and vendors. Our local clubs have relatively the same turnout. My impression was the the vendors had few if any buyers. I asked for instructions for flight operations. The register said to use the right to left right turn pattern and it was simple share of the positions or the grass area. OK, sounds good to me.
In actuallity, the open fly ended with the announcement of a lengthy time of pylon racing, combat and demo flying. I left to help with the ALES flying, but came back a couple hours or so later to get a flight with my new large Spitfire. It didn't happen; I saw flyers cut short their flights because the air was dominated with "Montissorie" fliers disreguarding all flight rules. I heard no attempt to restore order and safety. I witnessed an e-jet going the "worng way" dive into the runway at stage center and splatter itself for maybe a 100' farther on. What you gave us to see was discussed on the long drive home.
My local club was holding it's annual open house flyin on Saturday and we all approved a friendly reminder to not have any of the rules looseness happen during the day's activities. We had a record attendance of potential new modelers (young & old) who stayed to the 3:00 "closing" and I never saw so many happy people or had so many "Thank yous" given to the members. We charge nothing.....we sell nothing.... there are no vendors.....anyone can get in a short line and try flying a RC airplane on the buddy box.....after practicing on a computer flight sim, they came back to try another flight. They tried gas, electric and glider airplanes. Mixed in were demo flights of various types of airplanes.
Most suprisingly was that our bunch of mediocor pilots suddenly all became perfect in landing skills!
Thank you AMA for providing an incentive to do our best.
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:27 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
4,982 Posts
Thank you for the photos. Oh wow.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:17 AM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,177 Posts
Thanks, everyone, for a great fly-in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
Thank you for the photos....
You are most welcome!

BTW, Great News: NEFI had more than 100 RC pilots! Woo-Hoo!

Congratulations to Jay, and all of the many hard-working AMA folks who gave us an awesome weekend of flying, fun and camaraderie!!
  • Bob & Dave, thanks for making the time to meet with Mark & I, to learn about FPV, and to fly FPV together.
  • Jay, thanks for everything, and especially for supporting our work to give everyone a great FPV experience.
  • All the AMA folks and volunteers who ran the event: Thanks so much for everything!
  • Mark, thanks so much for all of your work, educatiing the public about FPV... you gave so many people their first FPV experience... awesome!
  • Dan, Will, Paul, Mike, Robert, Ross, Dan, Gabe, Keith, Roger, Bill, Buck, and so many others...thanks for the fun times together flying and talking and having a great weekend!
I look forward to seeing all of you, plus many new folks, at next year's NEFI!

Thanks, everyone!
Kevin
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:55 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
4,982 Posts
A bunch more photos on the AMA site. I got there via a facebook friend, but I am sure if you go to AMA and then the NIFE you will get there.

Lots of pictures. Thanks Jay.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:32 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,533 Posts
I'm glad to see this event growing. The AMA staff is learning and improving each year. Had a great time catching up with old and new friends and enjoyed te swap shop at the museum complex.

From my personal experience in the past as a vendor it always seemed that most customers were spectators rather than pilots unless the event was very large. As events grow vendors catch on and show up.

I,m not quite sure what a Montissorie" flier is (although I'm familiar with the schools) but it sounds like a reference to 3D pilots. Not all old school AMA members are adverse to 3D as I consider myself to be a 3D pilot and was also an AMA member in the 50s and have a 3 digit AMA number. Perhaps time slots for 3D vs race track is in order.

Like other events, I'm sure the people running the event would be receptive to constructive criticism with suggestions for improvements.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr