SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:47 AM
Activist
Joined Jun 2009
85 Posts
I flew my stock MCPX again and left my 2 good 250s in the case. Wind doesn't bother the MCPX too much. I have much more confidence with the little bird because there is rarely any crash damage. And I crash. I don't know if my brushless MCPXs will be forgiving when they crash. They will be ready soon.

I did some figure eights and a couple of flips and rolls in some pretty stiff wind. Altiitude and wind are my friends with the MCPX. Wind is more scary with my 250s , even the Beastx, even though they fly a little better in the wind, because of the repair time penalty.. .

It takes an hour to fix up a 250 after a crash. I bent a link on the MCPX and it took 2 minutes to fix. I get out nearly every day with the MCPX.

My ratio of flying-to-repair-time is going way, way up.
daveapplemotor is offline Find More Posts by daveapplemotor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:10 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
yep hovered again today. still fine tuning the gyro. the winter weather is starting to come in with strong winds, i'm thinking to get my 450s back into gear as they are "true wind fighters" to an extent after that it would be just sim sim sim. I can't wait for next summer.
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:58 AM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,257 Posts
Three packs this morning before work :-)
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:29 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
just a couple of packs for hovering and still fine tuning the tail. I can't wait for some good weather!
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
just a couple more packs again today on the 250, no fancy flying atm. No crash, no worries.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
I live in central Texas near San Antonio. It's been blowing for days and especially hard today. I didn't even attempt a single flight. Hopefully tomorrow the wind will lay down and open up an opportunity. I've got nothing but 120 and 180 size helis and too much wind spells too many repairs.
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:22 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
OK, so I could not resist. After a couple tame flights in my driveway with the 4F180 I just had to get out to the field, windy or not.

I took my V120D02 and M120 out into 25mph gusty winds. It's been blowing for days and I'm sick of not going out to the field for some open flying. After about half a pack on my V120D02 a gust got me and drilled it nose first right into the ground. It was very far away from me when it happend and took place so quickly I didn't even have time to react. Broke the main gear, bent the main shaft, feathering shaft, and lost a tail boom strut. Took about two hours when I got home to put her back together with new parts and make her new again.
Next flight was with my M120D01. I kept it closer this time and some kids kept bugging me. Between telling them to get back and the wind blowing even harder I decided to quit while I was ahead. I didn't even make it through one pack and set her down before another crash.

I can normally fly these helis just fine in 10 to 15 mph and maybe even 20 but the constant blow with added gusts were just too much to handle.

Oh well, try again tomorrow.
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:56 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2005
308 Posts
Yes, I flew today at the Rose Bowl park. It was somewhat windy that evening, but the MSR X could handle it well. I was performing FFF and both left and right turns and figure 8 circuits. That heli really rocks-and I have been flying it for about a month now. I flew 8 battery packs.
Zé Povinho is offline Find More Posts by Zé Povinho
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:00 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Yep i flew today. Too windy for outdoor flying for my 250 and 450. I flew in my lounge room and fire up the little blade mcx. Just the pure simplicity of this heli is just awesome. I love the way how it can fly by itself almost. No crashes, No worries.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:10 AM
Activist
Joined Jun 2009
85 Posts
I have found that the MCPX is a non-threatening toy. I was preparing to fly yesterday when a fat lady asked what I had there. "Toy heliicopter." I told her as I held the little guy up. She went away quickly without another word.

Only a couple of crashes. Flips and rolls are getting better but with my stock MCPX sometimes I don't finish the move before the ground comes up. I need truly unbreakable skids...
daveapplemotor is offline Find More Posts by daveapplemotor
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Nov 2011
776 Posts
I cratered my V100D01 yesterday. Looks like a swash, feathering shaft, mainshaft, gear, canopy, and a tail boom. I got through 2 packs and was doing some FFF about 50 feet up when the tail motor quit. All I could do was cut the throttle an watch it plunge right into the only pile of rocks within 100yards.

I'm so darn tired of flaky pile of junk tail motors, I'm swearing off motor driven tails. Shaft driven and belt driven are it from now on. At least when those fail and cause me 25 bucks of damage I can blame it on myself.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:34 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,257 Posts
I just finished flying five packs out back. It was breezy so I flew three packs on my king2 and then the wind died so I got out the old CP2 and burned two very nice packs way up high. Man, I am so glad the days are long again :-)
Old May 02, 2012, 02:43 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Yep I flew today. I was practicing some slow piro manouvers, too low to the ground and the tail got stuck in the grass. looks like a big night tonight for repairs.
Old May 02, 2012, 07:55 AM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,257 Posts
Well, I flew one pack this morning on the CP2 before work. It was foggy and sorta neat flying in the fog :-) The weather report looks good for the pm so I might be leaving work early...
Old May 02, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Nov 2011
776 Posts
Ran 3 packs through the M120 RX2622. Nice smooth relaxing sport flying is sometimes just what I need. No need to worry about crunching the heli, no nervousness about shaky inverts in the breeze, just FFF and circuits, big banked turns, slaloming the trees The extra heft over the D02S just smooths everything out.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer