HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:32 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,594 Posts
Recently got a MSR and had some issues. It sat for a year from former owner.
Serviced it and had battery not all the way in. Then she flew nice. Just got a MSR-X and gave it a try. I likes it big time. Fast / agile but controlable. I have to readjust some habits as it keeps going direction you point it. Until last Nov. I had no Blade helis etc. Now have MSR/MSR-X/MQX/ Mcp-x/ DX5e/ DX6i.. Most bought at swap meet or on forum. DX5e I bought from Horizon. MSR/MQX were used but no issues now.
Now I have Spectrum/ Walkrea/ T9X gear JR6pro so bases pretty well covered. Now for some fun..
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Last edited by dankar04; Feb 03, 2013 at 09:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:22 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,594 Posts
Friend came down from Phoenix and brought some of his helis/quads. He is into hi-end Quads/ gps/ vids etc. Nice flyer and super powerful. He got to try smaller stuff and flew many types helis/quads. Good day but he did put some damage to his nice quad, but minor.[showing off] ha ...>ha.
Big upshot is he gave me a nice Great Planes 6.0 flight sim. Now installed and get lots of practice flying with real time on ,my.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:58 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,382 Posts
Must be nice dankar
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:19 PM
Will work for JR/Spektrum
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,808 Posts
Friday, I picked up a NE freespirit fixed pitch. Last time I flew, was about six months ago on a coax. That night, I could barely keep the freespirit in the air, it was all over the place. Now, I got in a full maiden and quickly started doing circuits in the basement.

\m/
Sabin is online now Find More Posts by Sabin
Last edited by Sabin; Feb 03, 2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:26 PM
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,808 Posts
Another flight today, this one in the morning. It went well, and found that the tail needed a little tweaking for outdoor flight. But then a rather strong gust came along and even with full elevator forward it just wasn't enough. Tried to land it as quick as possible but it just flopped on its side and sheared the rotor head in half.

But i've reinforced the spare one, and used a little JBWeld to bond the head to the shaft. I doubt I'll have another problem like this again, even if it flops over again. And to make sure it doesn't break anywhere else, i've opened up the flybar pivot a bit in case the flybar wants to pop out on the next crash.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:53 AM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,308 Posts
Two packs on the MSR this morning inside. Man, it was six degrees outside, but at least the sun is coming up earlier these days. It won't be long before spring :-)
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:21 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,594 Posts
Tuesday morning here in Tucson,Az. temps about mid 60* and wearing t-shirt flying a couple of quads. I have lived here for ten years now and it has snowed once. Big 1" of snow, it did get cold that day. I was working at a Super Market and made some snowballs and stuck them in freezer. Folks wanted to know what they were. Hey New York style snow ball. Baseball size and packed tight. ha...>ha
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:53 PM
United States, TX, St Paul
Joined Dec 2012
56 Posts
I didn't fly today, but I did bring in my portable DVR and talk to one of the technicians in the lab about how to mount the small pinhole camera that came with it to record my helicopter flights. I bought this DVR to record the video output from my night vision scope when I'm hog hunting and it does a nice job. It should take nice video of the heli as well. We initially talked about using the inside head liner to a hard hat to mount the camera on. Then, he came up with a better idea based on a head lamp. He happens to be a very good caricature artist so he whipped a picture of me and the heli showing the camera setup and left it on my chair. It cracked me up so I thought I'd post it.

Hopefully as soon as I get a new 3n1 board for the Mcpx I can get some good video of how poorly I can fly it.

George

georgeintexas is offline Find More Posts by georgeintexas
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:11 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,382 Posts
I love pigs... funny.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:18 PM
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,808 Posts
No flight today, mainly because I was super busy and the weather was miserable today. Cold, rainy and windy. eech.

But i got to thinking, how can I mount a Hero3 onto a 350+ size heli and not have it flip over on takeoff. But if I can pull it off, i'll have some AMAZING slow-mo flyby shots.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:06 PM
Joined Dec 2012
56 Posts
Finally did get a flight in tonight after setting up the pinhole camera on the headlamp. Had to use the bedroom because my daughter was Skyping with my wife from overseas. She's a quilter, you may spot that in the video. The headlamp turned video camera platform worked pretty well, though I don't always follow the bird with my head as well as I thought I would. It took 5 takes to get the one I used and the battery was getting a little weak. I struggled with the camera being aimed too low, too far left, not following well enough, etc. In the end, here's how it turned out. I need to clean the camera lens, and I hope to get better at following the heli with the camera (ie. my head).

George

Micro Heli Video 1 (1 min 41 sec)
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:29 AM
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,808 Posts
Another basement flight just now, mainly to dial in the tail that final bit. Other than the downside of a brushed DD tail reacting like you'd expect, I have a solid lock.

four channel fixed pitch: conquered. Next challenge, 6 channel.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:08 AM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeintexas View Post
I didn't fly today, but I did bring in my portable DVR and talk to one of the technicians in the lab about how to mount the small pinhole camera that came with it to record my helicopter flights. I bought this DVR to record the video output from my night vision scope when I'm hog hunting and it does a nice job. It should take nice video of the heli as well. We initially talked about using the inside head liner to a hard hat to mount the camera on. Then, he came up with a better idea based on a head lamp. He happens to be a very good caricature artist so he whipped a picture of me and the heli showing the camera setup and left it on my chair. It cracked me up so I thought I'd post it.

Hopefully as soon as I get a new 3n1 board for the Mcpx I can get some good video of how poorly I can fly it.

George

-I'm liking it :-)
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:57 PM
Joined Dec 2012
56 Posts
I flew the v911 for 4 batteries at lunchtime and took video of all 4. Gonna have to edit the tar out of it as even I get bored half way through a battery's worth... Got a great shot of a coworker walking up and asking what was on my head. When he realized it was a camera he lit out of there in a hurry! A manager and my director walked up and talked for a bit. Good time.

George
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:08 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2012
263 Posts
I got gutzy today.

Tried for the first time not on a sim. Fliping. Sim didn't teach me crap in this department. I hit them all day along with inverted flights.

Heres reality. Enjoy. The Nano is one tough cookie. Book settings is +30 on expo's. This is my second day with my Nano.

Nano flip fails (3 min 40 sec)
Rich Knapp is offline Find More Posts by Rich Knapp