Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:33 AM
Cambodia
Joined May 2009
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy76 View Post
That doesn't sound very safe. Why did you fly with a receiver like that?
There's nothing to hit where I fly, and I think I can dodge a 250 if I see it coming.
rseegers is offline Find More Posts by rseegers
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:15 AM
The Last Question
United States, UT, West Valley City
Joined Oct 2006
541 Posts
Well that's good. Now you've got to replace a receiver and a bunch of parts though.
Entropy76 is offline Find More Posts by Entropy76
Old Apr 21, 2012, 04:53 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,139 Posts
I had my first ever 3D flight with my 250 today and it didn't go well. I haven't flown it for more than 6 months and suspect that the batteries were dying. The heli was very weak throughout. My first attempt to enter inverted was through a half L flip. It was so wide it was like a rainbow. Although I managed to hover inverted, I could not flip it upright again and it crashed into tall grass with no damage. I then increased the rates to 125% and entered inverter through half forward flip. This was slighly better although the arc was still very wide. Again I was unable to transition it back to upright and it crashed with no damage.

The second flight was better as I managed a couple of minutes of inverted flight and was able to transition it back to upright without incident. I found that in FFF, the heli was wobbling up and down and so I reduced the elev gain of the 3G unit.

The third flight just didn't went well. The tail was just not holding at all and I did not do any inverted flying at all. I brought it down a couple of times and could not see anything unusual. I have to admit it though I have forgotten how to maintain this heli. In the end, it crashed because I just couldn't control it. A blade grip and a skid was damaged. The plate holding the Align 3G sensor was dangling out. Perhaps that was the problem responsible for the loss of control.

I would be grateful for any opinions as to what I should do next to get it 3D worthy. In its sorry state, it is far outperformed by my V120D02S in both FFF and basic 3D. At least, I was able to get it inverted successfully. This is something I never thought I would see as I had no intention of learning 3D when I bought this heli.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:13 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
sorry to hear your crash zadaw. But as for pointers, you have to fly everyday with it, or atleast the simulator, to be used to how it handles. the 250 is a different bird compared to it's bigger brothers. Keep practicing on the sim while you are fixing it up. Hope you get your 250 back to it's original state again. best of luck.

pitchp

P.S These will be my new upgrade lipos soon.

Tip: Headspeed should be 4500 minimum for 3D. Also build another 250 as a spare.

My spare 250 testing the Tarot GY550 GYRO.

pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Last edited by pitchp; Apr 21, 2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:18 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,399 Posts
SP 270, indoors, as the rain is pouring outside...
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:24 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
sorry to hear your crash zadaw. But as for pointers, you have to fly everyday with it, or atleast the simulator, to be used to how it handles. the 250 is a different bird compared to it's bigger brothers. Keep practicing on the sim while you are fixing it up. Hope you get your 250 back to it's original state again. best of luck.

pitchp

P.S These will be my new upgrade lipos soon.

Tip: Headspeed should be 4500 minimum for 3D. Also build another 250 as a spare.

My spare 250 testing the Tarot GY550 GYRO.

Thanks for your reply. I think I will get new batteries first before trying again. I will also have to look at the Align 3G and other settings: the flip rate is extremely slow.

By the way, I found that the gyro switch on my Tx was switched to Lo. This could have been responsible for the tail not holding at all in my last flight.

I wonder if the head speed could influence the flip rate and whether it will be better to use the CF instead of the plastic blades?
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:34 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
better to use CF blades. I use the Pro3D blades. But you probably want the align 205d CF since you have an original 250.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:58 AM
Cambodia
Joined May 2009
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy76 View Post
Well that's good. Now you've got to replace a receiver and a bunch of parts though.
Better to have flown and crashed than not to fly at all.

MAQ03341.MP4 (0 min 29 sec)

It had tail vibration for months until i gave up and bought a new HK 250 kit.
rseegers is offline Find More Posts by rseegers
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:09 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
looks like your blades and tail feathers are a bit too loose. You should tighten them down so they don't move. A sharp tap with your hand should make them move.
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:35 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
It was very windy today, but i still gave it a go with the 250. But then i realise just halfway on a pack, that my new gyro still needs to be adjusted. I didn't want to risk it, so i took out the 450 instead. It was still too windy, my heli was getting blown around good. So again I didn't want to risk my 450 either, so i called it a day. I can't continue on crashing, the costs are just starting to build up!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:11 AM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,151 Posts
I got my first chance today at flying the Genius CP in the wide outdoors, with no furniture, trees, snow, puddles etc. to worry about. Stall turns on the simulator translated easily to stall turns outdoors. I can fly circles clockwise, but counterclockwise needs work! I have a tendency to roll the wrong way and crash on the return leg. I broke two tail rotors and two main frames, two helicopters down. I just got them back together, and I can hardly wait to go again! More hovering in the livingroom tonight. My pyros are improving. My outdoor initiation was in a gravel pit. I might have to wait till a grassy field dries out (crashes less painful?) to try fast forward flight again. Should be much more than a week, the snow is going fast! What a kick!
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:04 AM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,199 Posts
I brought my king to work. If the rain stops I'll give her a go at noon :-)
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:43 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
yep I just hovered today, testing out the EMAX ES9257 with the Tarot GY550. It was very windy so i decided to keep it simple with nothing to fancy. No crash, No worries.

Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Nov 2011
771 Posts
Gusty day here, 10-15mph and pushing 100 degrees outside. Took out the D02S and the M120 w/2622. My first pack in the D02S was warmup sports flying in the wind, the second I worked on loops Very fun, even in the wind, big slow 100ft dia loops.

Finally I tried to cap it off by sustaining the inverted portion of the loop and nearly lost it to a gust of wind. Ended up rolling out of it when I tried to correct (still not good with inverted nose in) which turned into a half roll half piro with full pitch and some praying that it had the power to pull up. Didn't crash but I know the M120 would have cratered :P
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:58 AM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
just hovered again today out in the backyard, nothing fancy just testing the piro rate on my 250 heli. This heli sure is a PITA to work with, but it seems it's a love hate relationship. I heard finless bob once said "The 250 heli is a mans heli" I know exactly now what he means. It takes a real man to build and pilot a 250 heli.