HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2012, 06:33 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zé Povinho View Post
I also have to drive a couple of miles to find a legal place to fly the MCP X. There are plenty of soccer fields and parks where I am, and are at a nice walking distance. Unfortunately, there is this Los Angeles County law that prohibits flying in any place that is not authorized for model aircraft (and the sheriff actively patrols these parks). So, I fly in Pasadena, Whittier Narrows, or El Dorado in Long Beach.

Furthermore, these public parks are often full of either soccer or baseball players. Even the local indoor gyms, when they are opened, are almost always hosting a game or event so it's impossible to fly the heli there. School sites in this area are totally fenced in and the school districts clearly post that it is forbidden to fly model aircraft in their fields.

It would be nice that these ordinances were modified to today's situation. I guess that these ordinances were written at the time when the only radio control models were fuel powered.

The park at the Rose Bowl is very unpredictable. One day it can be all to yourself-nobody is there, but the next day it might be full of soccer or rugby players, or it might be hosting a big event.
That totally sucks. I have never hear of such a law and I live in the San Francisco Bay area. This is our freedom being slowly chipped away. We can't scratch our a$$ without breaking the law. I have lived my whole life (60 yrs) in California. If not for my wife, I would be out of here.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 07:43 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
So I bought 6 new nano-tech 160s and a thunder power quad port charger. Rained all day and then stopped right before I left work, which allowed me to finally confirm how fun it is to fly into, over, and around mud puddles. I love this hobby and love my 9958. I'm finally getting to the point where I don't have to think real hard about how to move my thumbs and can just enjoy flying. It has always been fun even when I got my first air hogs heli, but now it is fun and relaxing, I can sit on the trunk of my car, fly around my driveway, and land it right next to me when I feel the battery getting low.

I've spent under $200 for my champ, my 9957, 7 nano-tech 160s, one hobby zone 150, one off brand battery that came with my 9958, and a four port charger. Fairly sure I could bring my plane and heli out to a field on a Saturday and fly all day long now. I am 100% certain that without RCgroups I would have much less fun in my life. Thank you all
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old May 29, 2012, 10:11 PM
BPhoto
Joined Apr 2012
144 Posts
Raining in Baltimore tonight... Indoor for me...
BPhoto is offline Find More Posts by BPhoto
Old May 29, 2012, 10:25 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I thought maybe we need a thread like this in the micro forum :-)

I flew a pack on my CP2 out back. It felt real good...
i flew my syma s107 and s111g outside tonight can get them up to 100ft no wind still hold signal keep porch light off, s 107 put a penny under the nose can then fly in lite wind at night, also flew my mcx2 outside tonight lights up great at night with navigation lights, also can take this up to 100ft again penny under nose for more forward outside
danstravels is offline Find More Posts by danstravels
Old May 29, 2012, 10:31 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
That totally sucks. I have never hear of such a law and I live in the San Francisco Bay area. This is our freedom being slowly chipped away. We can't scratch our a$$ without breaking the law. I have lived my whole life (60 yrs) in California. If not for my wife, I would be out of here.
feel sorry for you here in cincy ohio no laws hard though at ball fields, our local airport has a large two circles for model airplanes or helis, i fly my angel 300 large electric thier plus my jxd338 helis, kinda of neat flying their when real planes and helis fly over your head, join the ama american modlers assocation, they have power in Congress several senators and former astronauts fly RC MODELS THEY ARE FIGHTING A NEW FAA BILL THAT COULD RESTRICT RC FLYING
danstravels is offline Find More Posts by danstravels
Old May 30, 2012, 01:50 AM
Chen's Camera Crew!
Joined May 2012
52 Posts
It looks like things are very hard for some of you Americans, soon it will be like a bowling night to which you will have to go to the local hall to fly them once a week! here in china the only thing we have to watch out for are people flying kites or kids chasing the heli's, then again if there was laws here about flying then i can guarantee you that the chinese wouldn't listen to them.

You need to make a stand now and get onto the powers of be to get them to give you areas in parks to which your able to do your enjoyable hobby. If they dont let you have it in the local park then what about on football/rugby/baseball pitches when they are not in use? If they still say "NO" then put a claim in for what you have spent on your hobby to which they have stopped you enjoying!
Nutta is offline Find More Posts by Nutta
Old May 30, 2012, 11:36 AM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,231 Posts
I just did a pack at work during lunch :-)
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old May 30, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Nov 2011
772 Posts
I've only run into the police in Tucson once at a park when I was flying. The cop mainly just wanted to geek out over the helis and tell me to be sure not to let anyone get too near.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old May 31, 2012, 12:03 AM
Chen's Camera Crew!
Joined May 2012
52 Posts
I have flown just now and went through 6X400 batteries, i was also testing how much less flying i would have with added light to my QR . May have some more flying time when batteries have charged , it is windy outside here in beijing but nothing the QR can't handle
Nutta is offline Find More Posts by Nutta
Old May 31, 2012, 07:36 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Xieda 9958 - After work driveway flying (6 min 11 sec)

Quick flight after work last night. Nothing special but im working on coordinated turns and a little bit of nose in. No crashes Not sure if its in this video but I've been doing some tail taps on my windshield. Bad for the tail rotor but good practice at precise control for me, I try to get it to just slap the tail rotor against the windshield a few times without the tail bouncing. The stupid little wing thing that was on the tail wouldn't stay on or straight so it has been removed.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old May 31, 2012, 10:34 PM
V911 F45 Super CP
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Ran through 4 batteries outside this evening after work. During one I tried landing on the air conditioner hanging out of my 2nd floor window. Gust of wind = epic fail, into the wall and down to the sidewalk. Picked it up and resumed flying. Love my V911, 2 months of beating it and not a single broken part!
Mitch332 is offline Find More Posts by Mitch332
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:40 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,368 Posts
328 Solo-pro

I have had this for about a month [328] and decided to run it up inside. Charged battery and added batteries to tx. All looked good to go. Turned on tx all fine, then set throddle to lowest setting. Installed flight batteries and she be running. Very smooth and just held it under flight speed. Handle nice on heli-pad and let it climb to a little off the deck. Noware as skittish with ground affect. Hope wind is low tomorrow and give it a real flight. Bigger is better but this is a little large for indoor for me. My 260a and 9958 are little wild inside but still fun. Electric heli's have come a long way in just a short time.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jun 02, 2012, 12:55 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,231 Posts
Three packs out back between raindrops on the CP2. It was misty/foggy; sort of cool :-)
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old Jun 02, 2012, 04:20 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
5 packs on a 250. What a nice day.
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Jun 03, 2012, 02:43 AM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,169 Posts
Sunny and calm this afternoon. I flew 13 packs through my Genius CP and V120D02, came home with no damage to either. That's a record for me!
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski