HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2012, 07:26 PM
Chen's Camera Crew!
Joined May 2012
52 Posts
I flew my QR again yesterday with James and we were getting a lot of people watching us but again we had children chasing the heli's, so we had to keep them up in the air as much as possible.

Later that day i was out flying again when it was more quiet and a man walked over to me and just stood there watching me, he didn't say anything to me at all maybe because he was Chinese and didn't speak English). When i landed it to have a rest and a quick smoke he crouched over the QR to have a closer look at it, he didn't touch it nor did he say anything. He stood there the entire time i was flying watching every move the QR done until i had to go back into the school!
Nutta is offline Find More Posts by Nutta
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 02:21 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,534 Posts
Flying fist time outside mico's !!

Well nice morning here in Tuscon and decided i need more room to fly F/P 4ch birds. First heli up was a H/K 4ch Co-Ax. As soon as any breeze came along very hard to stop drifting. Next up 9958 breeze made it drift also but got some damage free air time. Then Solo-Pro 260a. I had just installed new L/gear and guess what? Broke it first flight. If anybody gets one of these get Extreme L/G for it / stock unit is way to frail. Both sets broke at front right next to battery. I ca; the joint and made very thin plywood [1/64] gusset to hold. Now I want to get some thin carbon string and wrap gear to add strength.
Anyway all birds are fine. Tonite I will go to club house and fly in much larger area free from wind/breeze. Amazing how fast they drift away when hit by a breeze. ..no kidding right!!
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old May 28, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Well nice morning here in Tuscon and decided i need more room to fly F/P 4ch birds. First heli up was a H/K 4ch Co-Ax. As soon as any breeze came along very hard to stop drifting. Next up 9958 breeze made it drift also but got some damage free air time. Then Solo-Pro 260a. I had just installed new L/gear and guess what? Broke it first flight. If anybody gets one of these get Extreme L/G for it / stock unit is way to frail. Both sets broke at front right next to battery. I ca; the joint and made very thin plywood [1/64] gusset to hold. Now I want to get some thin carbon string and wrap gear to add strength.
Anyway all birds are fine. Tonite I will go to club house and fly in much larger area free from wind/breeze. Amazing how fast they drift away when hit by a breeze. ..no kidding right!!
I got tired of waiting for the wind to die down so I moved on to cp heli's. It has increased my enjoyment of the hobby.
J_skaggs is online now Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old May 28, 2012, 09:43 PM
BPhoto
Joined Apr 2012
144 Posts
Hello All,

I finally got my CB100 back together and ran 3 batteries through it tonight... I tried earlier today but the wind started picking up and slammed the CB into the side of my shed. Broke a main blade. Took it to the Hanger(LOL) and fixed it... I'm flying in the basement right now and just having a RCG break and then I will run one more lipo through it and call it a night...
BPhoto is offline Find More Posts by BPhoto
Old May 28, 2012, 10:08 PM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,144 Posts
Sunny Day at Last!

Fairbanks finally got a break in the weather. It was crystal clear this morning, so I took the Genius CP and V120D02 to the soccer field. I flew 7 or 8 batteries through the Genius, circles and a few figure 8s complicated by the breeze. Soooo nice to fly in sun! A lot of my crashes stem from flying in clouds and low light where I lose track of which way the helicopter is flying/rolling. My success is much better in the sun.

I tried the V120D02, but I can't control it in the wind. The Genius handles a breeze SO much better - better gyroscope or just less rotor area to catch on an updraft? I wonder how the V120D02S handles wind.

Genius CP Fun in Sun.avi (5 min 37 sec)
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old May 29, 2012, 12:35 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,534 Posts
Part two today

I went to clubhouse around 9:00pm. Fired up HK 4ch co ax. It flew very well and nice tame but agile little bird. Then the 9958 F/P. Hit the juice and up she went into a nice hover. Amazing early today it was drifting bad due to breeze. Flew out pack and did nice spot landing. I made a portable heli pad 3x4 feet. All maked off with big H in the middle. Next was Solo-pro 260a. Earlier I repaired L/G but it did not hold up, but bird flew nice. Very fast little heli and quite agile. Last I flew E-sky Lama V-4. Nice looking scale heli but Cp-Ax. Very slow on controls but will have to see whats needed to liven it up. Flew very well and very smooth.
So there we have it two 4ch co-ax , and two mico 4 ch Fuixed pitch. I did so well I called it a nite. I had two extra batteries and could have charged another but hey I did good. Order some Xtreme L/G for Solo-pro 260a and an A/C charger for it. I have a 270a coming and a V911. Using several different birds is a blast and enjoyed my flight time.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old May 29, 2012, 05:33 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski View Post
Fairbanks finally got a break in the weather. It was crystal clear this morning, so I took the Genius CP and V120D02 to the soccer field. I flew 7 or 8 batteries through the Genius, circles and a few figure 8s complicated by the breeze. Soooo nice to fly in sun! A lot of my crashes stem from flying in clouds and low light where I lose track of which way the helicopter is flying/rolling. My success is much better in the sun.

I tried the V120D02, but I can't control it in the wind. The Genius handles a breeze SO much better - better gyroscope or just less rotor area to catch on an updraft? I wonder how the V120D02S handles wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-_Gsdv-seo
Your flying is coming along nicely. The gyro on the V120D02S is similar to that on the Genius and will thus handle wind much better than the V120D02. You can make a great improvement on the flight characteristics of your V120D02 just by putting in a V120D02S receiver. You can also upgrade your V120D02 to a V120D02S

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1551079

However, that may turn out to be much more time consuming and less economical than buying a V120D02S.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old May 29, 2012, 09:48 AM
United States, AL, Morris
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
Since then, I have been practicing on the sim and my Blade mcpx. I can fly the mcpx very well now so I felt confident enough to take it out this morning. It flies beautifully. I had no fear while flying it. I'm going out again tomorrow.
I've been using the mcpx as my sim...

I have hovered my 450x a couple of times, but I'm such a girl when it comes to really flying the thing. I keep telling myself I need to practice more on the little (less expensive) machine.

How is the mcpx compared to the 450x? By all accounts, the 450X should be more stable, but I'd like to see if that has been the experience of those that fly both.
steveap1 is offline Find More Posts by steveap1
Old May 29, 2012, 10:08 AM
NB Canada
Joined Apr 2008
458 Posts
?

To answer this thread: who cares. Rather than reading about other people flying, I'd rather spend that time flying myself Or reading useful info...this is a bit pointless, IMO... Sry just saying
Beckler is offline Find More Posts by Beckler
Old May 29, 2012, 11:13 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler View Post
To answer this thread: who cares. Rather than reading about other people flying, I'd rather spend that time flying myself Or reading useful info...this is a bit pointless, IMO... Sry just saying
Which is, of course, why you've been reading this thread and thought to reply to it?

I've been flying my Esky Tandem and Walkera YS8001 Tandems around indoors and a little outdoors. They're big enough to be agile in a *slight* gust of wind and otherwise are great fun. I love the sound that occurs when all 4 motors in those coaxials spin up.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2012, 12:09 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,135 Posts
The problem with this thread is that it is in the Micro heli section. Most people can fly everyday at home because of the small size. I am one of the few who have to drive a few miles just to fly a MCPx or Mini CP.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; May 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:49 PM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,144 Posts
Zadaw - you're not alone. I can hover indoors, but there's no comparison between that and circling the soccer field in a gusty wind, either for learning potential or for enjoyment. I drive
10 minutes to the soccer field (where I can crash on grass to minimize the damage.)
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old May 29, 2012, 05:44 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveap1 View Post
I've been using the mcpx as my sim...

I have hovered my 450x a couple of times, but I'm such a girl when it comes to really flying the thing. I keep telling myself I need to practice more on the little (less expensive) machine.

How is the mcpx compared to the 450x? By all accounts, the 450X should be more stable, but I'd like to see if that has been the experience of those that fly both.
The 450X is much easier than the mcpx in my experience. I flew my 450X in 11 mph wind yesterday with complete control. I don't do 3D flight though. If you can fly your mcpx in all four orientations and forward flight you can easily fly the 450X.
J_skaggs is online now Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old May 29, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2005
297 Posts
I flew the MCP X today. I am now able to do both forward and backward flips, some rolls, as well as FFF with loops. I am also working on backwards flight, but I haven't gone inverted yet.

I have had this heli for only 3 weeks and it's a blast to fly. This is my first CP heli.

Went through 12 battery packs.

Yesterday the heli got the violent shakes and, after searching for info, I found out that the servo could be dirty, so I took the servo apart and yes, it was dirty. I cleaned it with alcohol and this solved the shakes for good.

Ze
Zé Povinho is offline Find More Posts by Zé Povinho
Old May 29, 2012, 06:05 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2005
297 Posts
I also have to drive a couple of miles to find a legal place to fly the MCP X. There are plenty of soccer fields and parks where I am, and are at a nice walking distance. Unfortunately, there is this Los Angeles County law that prohibits flying in any place that is not authorized for model aircraft (and the sheriff actively patrols these parks). So, I fly in Pasadena, Whittier Narrows, or El Dorado in Long Beach.

Furthermore, these public parks are often full of either soccer or baseball players. Even the local indoor gyms, when they are opened, are almost always hosting a game or event so it's impossible to fly the heli there. School sites in this area are totally fenced in and the school districts clearly post that it is forbidden to fly model aircraft in their fields.

It would be nice that these ordinances were modified to today's situation. I guess that these ordinances were written at the time when the only radio control models were fuel powered.

The park at the Rose Bowl is very unpredictable. One day it can be all to yourself-nobody is there, but the next day it might be full of soccer or rugby players, or it might be hosting a big event.
Zé Povinho is offline Find More Posts by Zé Povinho