HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:16 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TScott1118 View Post
I love electrifying Ray's kits. So far I have built a 2 meter BB, 100" BB, BBXL, Paragon and an Oly 3.
I have a medical problem that limits my ability to walk. If it weren't for electrics I would have a hard time flying sailplanes.
I don't pass judgement on those that prefer a winch or highstart. To each his own, as long as you are enjoying the hobby!
Tom,

Hope you put up some of your Photos here, the guys might really enjoy seeing an aerial of Albuquerque.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
WWW.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:28 AM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswain View Post
Hi Eddie.
Here is recent link Dave started describing his e-power setup for a BBXL. A lot of good info.

john s.
John,

Thanks for the link. It was kind of funny,when Dave and I were talking. I was really looking his Big Bird XL over,seeing I hadn't seen one in person,wanting to build one,and he was looking at my Oly III saying he was going to build an Oly III. Boy he did a beautifull job building the Big Bird. There wasn't a flaw in it.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:32 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Hayes View Post
"Why do some people have a mind set of "for or against" the growing popularity of building Woody Sailplanes and installing electric motors to launch them ?

Ray
WWW.Skybench.com
Hi Ray, as much as it pains me to say it, I think there are some people out there, all be it the distinct minority, who see e-power as somehow cheating or polluting the "pure" nature of soaring. Personally I think these individuals are misguided to say the least. I am a big advocate of e-powered sailplanes as they open up soaring to more people in more places. I think you see the argument more in the woodie build threads because as a builder you have a choice to include e-power or not.

Another reason I think you see it in the woodie sailplane sections more than elsewhere is because for some people woodie sailplanes remind them of their first sailplane. Seeing that new build reminds them of their own project from 40 years ago and they want to see it in the same light. Similar things occur in the classic car world. Should a classic car be restored to its original condition or modified into a hot rod? Strong opinions on both sides of that discussion but there is no "right" answer.

As to the argument about e-power empowering a new pilot to take more risks, I don't buy it. The anti-lock breaks in my car do not empower me to take more chances when I drive and the 3HP motor on my sailboat does not cause me to take more risks when I go sailing. I don't try to cut in front of the barge knowing that I can power up the motor if I get into trouble. I can go on and on. Most pilots I fly with are cautious to say the least, regardless what kind of sailplane they fly. Just my opinion here.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Nov 04, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Apr 2007
36 Posts
Quote, "...e-power as somehow cheating or polluting the "pure" nature of soaring."

Aren't winches "e-powered"? I guess we all should limit our soaring activities to DLG or slope if you want to argue that point.

Anyways, even the full scale super high-end (expensive) sail planes, that you'd think would only be owned by long time dedicated soaring "purists" in the full scale realm, are using on some ships, small "sustainer" motors, that pop-up from the fuse just behind the cockpit, to prevent out-landings.

So much for the "purity" of full scale soaring

But, the important part in this hobby is to each their own, and we respect the other guy's treasures.

(-: Dave
ddahl is offline Find More Posts by ddahl
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:52 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Hayes View Post
Tom,

Hope you put up some of your Photos here, the guys might really enjoy seeing an aerial of Albuquerque.

Ray
WWW.skybench.com
Here's some of the pics you mentioned, Ray. I just finished my e-BBXL a few weeks ago and maidened it yesterday. I built mine with flaps and spoilers. The spoilers are built as per Ray's plans and I must say that they work perfectly. The aerial shots are from the maiden flight.
TScott1118 is offline Find More Posts by TScott1118
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:33 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
Wow! Clean build... clean shop...even the BROOM is clean! NICE WORK!!
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:41 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
[QUOTE=Ray Hayes;23171851]

I think you missed the point of my POST:

"Why do some people have a mind set of "for or against" the growing popularity of building Woody Sailplanes and installing electric motors to launch them ?

I don't want a bunch of guys posting here advocating like you have in your post..

Ray

OH WELL! I guess we got it anyway?
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY