HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:49 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,115 Posts
robh,

I have an original Oly II with the counter balanced rudder. If I were building another, I would build without it. It's not needed. Most everything I've seen says build it with a straight hinge line.
SHVentus is offline Find More Posts by SHVentus
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:20 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,106 Posts
If one built the solid tail out of very light c-grain, without the holes, and then finished only with sanding dealer, it would probably be a lot closer to built up weight.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:10 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHVentus View Post
robh,

I have an original Oly II with the counter balanced rudder. If I were building another, I would build without it. It's not needed. Most everything I've seen says build it with a straight hinge line.
Thanks SHV, that's what I was thinking of doing. It's nice to hear corroboration of the idea. So you live in Hawaii eh? Nice place to have to fly!

And thanks Jared for the comment. You are correct, a little out of the nose won't make a huge difference in this size of aircraft, but I thought I'd see how close I can get it to pure sailplane-only weight. I know there will be some penalty for the e-gear...and your are correct, it looks great with transparent covering!

Cheers,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Jul 2009
566 Posts
I think you should go with solid wood as the tail feathers on a self launching glider encounter a lot more turbulence under power. Learn to enjoy the extra weight of the e powered models because you'll get to fly in a lot more conditions with the extra ballast.
edfmaniac is offline Find More Posts by edfmaniac
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:02 AM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Hayes View Post
Bummer, sorry our schedules were mixed. I returned Thursday night, Bill and I had a great time and both agreed to return to Max Patch. We had a group of people standing around the Surveyor"s Marker on top of Max discussing "which way is North", let us know if you determined "North". When I came down off the summit, my SUV's compass settled it. I took a Hi start too.

Bill will be posting his Videos on U-tube, I think he is 88Hawksnest. When I get caught up answering Sky Bench emails, I have 2 pics of Bill to post here. I took a very short movie of Bill launching his electric 2M Lil Bird and that was all the time I could take away from my first flying experience on the MAX. Will write some more later. I Love flying the MAX.

Thank you Doc Bell for the heads up on MAX Patch.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
WWW.Skybench.com
Ray,

Glad you and Bill had a great time at the MAX. The day I had available to fly, the weather turned. Drizzle and low clouds covered most of the peaks, so I was grounded. I will definitely be back, so hopefully next time! Other than that, it was a great trip.

Allan
R2R is online now Find More Posts by R2R
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:35 PM
Flying High
Wildwood, MO
Joined Jan 2009
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHVentus View Post
robh,

If you change to a straight hinge line you will need more rudder deflection to get the same results and possibly get more drag. Just a thought.

Dave
Viking64 is offline Find More Posts by Viking64
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:32 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,611 Posts
Back To Max Patch

My Webmaster has just put up a pick I took of Bill Grenoble flying his Electric
2M Lil /bird, in the back ground is a view worth seeing. Go to my Summer Newsletter, scroll to the bottom for the new pic and text, you likely will have to "refresh the page frame" to bring up the new post. Enjoy.

Enjoy the building season coming our way fast ....

Ray
WWW.Skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:26 PM
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Dec 2006
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Hayes View Post
My Webmaster has just put up a pick I took of Bill Grenoble flying his Electric
2M Lil /bird, in the back ground is a view worth seeing. Go to my Summer Newsletter, scroll to the bottom for the new pic and text, you likely will have to "refresh the page frame" to bring up the new post. Enjoy.

Enjoy the building season coming our way fast ....

Ray
WWW.Skybench.com
Very nice...I can just imagine what a Merlyn will look like flying there.
rjrobbin is offline Find More Posts by rjrobbin
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Apr 2003
1,611 Posts
Robbin

Who knows, maybe there will be two Merlyns flying the Max. I'll build my wings the same way my pages on my web describe "Adding Carbon to Spars". 060 carbon with 1/16" Bass Wood on top to fill the 1/8" deep spar notch in the ribs. .

Mine will be solid RED ...

Ray
WWW.Skybench.com
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:47 AM
United States, PA, Perry
Joined Apr 2002
492 Posts
The last solid red plane I remember you having was your much flown Red 100" Big Bird. Bill Grenoble
PS We have a "club" ALES contest this Sunday in Carlisle, PA, I will fly one or so of my 4 Skybench electric birds. 2M, 100", 120", 132".
Hawksnest is offline Find More Posts by Hawksnest
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:06 AM
United States, PA, Perry
Joined Apr 2002
492 Posts
You may wonder how I got a 120" Big Bird. Back in about 2004, I got the idea for a wing. I had a pair of tips from a BOT ARF, so I built a pair of inboard sections to Ray's specs. I used a 10" chord 3014, , carbon on the spars, built the wingrod & incidence pin to fit the Big Bird fuse, put in very large spoilers, and mated the BOT ARF tips to the inboard sections. The BOT foil is pretty much flat bottomed, but it flew great. I built three of them and don't know who has the other two. Turning the wing/plane with the stock tail is a tad bit slow, but once you get the hang of flying it, is turns just fine. It will stand on a wingtip and thermal with the rest of the "birds". Bill G.
Picture of the wing.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:27 PM
United States, HI, Kamuela
Joined Dec 2008
19 Posts
Ray: Can I purchase A Full wing set with building plans for the OLYlll. If so what would be the total to ship to 96743-8226 Hawaii? Thanks Bob Hansen
Robert Hansen is offline Find More Posts by Robert Hansen
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:56 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
Bill G....

Good to see you posting again...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, PA, Perry
Joined Apr 2002
492 Posts
Thank you Mr. "schrederman". Later, Bill
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:48 AM
Joined Apr 2003
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Hansen View Post
Ray: Can I purchase A Full wing set with building plans for the OLYlll. If so what would be the total to ship to 96743-8226 Hawaii? Thanks Bob Hansen

Bob,

Sorry, Wing kits currently not available.

Ray
WWW.Skybench.com