HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:34 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,250 Posts
Discussion
Why so many ad banners???

What is with all the ad banners when the page opens for a thread? It covers my entire screen. Half a page is OK but not a whole page.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:52 AM
characters welcome!
Mark Wood's Avatar
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,189 Posts
Go back to the Classic view. You've found what the "new site features" are all about.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:00 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Go back to the Classic view. You've found what the "new site features" are all about.

mw
Where is the toggle?
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:12 PM
Administrator
jbourke's Avatar
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,381 Posts
Switching to the classic style won't reduce the number of ads. However, if you want to try it, look at the very bottom of the page.

Can you post a screenshot? What resolution monitor are you using?

It's best that you ask questions like this in Site Suggestions / Complaints rather than Site Chat so you can speak with an admin directly.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:28 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourke View Post
Switching to the classic style won't reduce the number of ads. However, if you want to try it, look at the very bottom of the page.

Can you post a screenshot? What resolution monitor are you using?

It's best that you ask questions like this in Site Suggestions / Complaints rather than Site Chat so you can speak with an admin directly.

Jim
Jim,

My monitor / display is a widescreen HP LAPTOP Will do. Screen resolution is 1600x900 (recommended). I do zoom to 150% to fill the full screen.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:24 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Sep 2010
113 Posts
The classic view has at least the same number of ads as the new layout. On half of the pages, the classic view has more.
bkessler is offline Find More Posts by bkessler
Administrator
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:48 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
1320fastback's Avatar
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,201 Posts
I only get 2 at the top, the Castle ribbon at the bottom and one more under that.

It pays the bills and maybe pads the pockets a little.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:10 PM
characters welcome!
Mark Wood's Avatar
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,189 Posts
Admins:

Since this thread has gotten your attention, are you going to force a bunch of people to change from the Classic view eventually? Why not just leave those of us that prefer it alone and let those that like the newer versions use them?

As you can tell, I'm a bit prickly about this subject. Thanks for listening.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:42 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,250 Posts
I understand the need for ads, but wish the ads didn't take up so much real estate on the screen. With this much space taken up this much I dread the day when they start inserting ads between posts.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:54 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
Not to argue, OP, but to what are you comparing? I find most commercial sites so cluttered with ads it is difficult to even FIND the content. And RCG quite conservative in that regard.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:06 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
Not to argue, OP, but to what are you comparing? I find most commercial sites so cluttered with ads it is difficult to even FIND the content. And RCG quite conservative in that regard.
True, relative to other sites it is not nearly as cluttered. However, that doesn't mean they deserve a reward for the least cluttered of sites.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:41 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
6,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I understand the need for ads, but wish the ads didn't take up so much real estate on the screen. With this much space taken up this much I dread the day when they start inserting ads between posts.
They already tried that a couple months ago. There was a banner add between post numbers 1 and 2 for at least a month or so.......lots of outcry because of it. I'm pretty easy going with changes, ads, etc, but that one was plain annoying.

I'm much happier with the double add banner layout they have settled on now rather than the "in between" idea.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:44 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
They already tried that a couple months ago. There was a banner add between post numbers 1 and 2 for at least a month or so.......lots of outcry because of it. I'm pretty easy going with changes, ads, etc, but that one was plain annoying.

I'm much happier with the double add banner layout they have settled on now rather than the "in between" idea.
I agree, a "in between" ad post would be worse.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! So many brand names, so many choices. Indyplumber Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 7 Mar 06, 2012 02:44 AM
Discussion Why would so many of them seek and be granted waivers from a law they supported? logan5 Life, The Universe, and Politics 12 Jan 07, 2012 09:46 PM
Suggestion Mike, another Banner Ad kit Site Suggestions / Complaints 23 Dec 14, 2011 10:44 AM