Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:46 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,476 Posts
Discussion
micro pylon racers

just got all the gear stuffed into this tiny 10 inch airframe
total weight as it is now is 18 grams, i dont even want to think about the wing loading!
the ailerons are small and have small throws as well, as i am hoping it will be fast

i'm not sure if i want to cover the bottom or let air flow over the electronics and keep access easy.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Last edited by derk; Apr 29, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:46 AM
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Joined Aug 2007
91 Posts
Nice!

Do you have a schematic or picture of how you did the linking for ailerons?
Never been successful at making one for this size of micro (probably just lack of skill )

Good luck with the maiden, and if it is fast, don't blink
kontakos is offline Find More Posts by kontakos
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:51 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Looks very interesting. Can you list the gear you are using?

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:29 AM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,476 Posts
Pete, it has a dt rx, two 5320 1.7 gram servos, an xp-3a esc, 10-15 11500kv motor and a 160mah cell. It was all just barely stuffed into the front of the fuselage.
Last edited by derk; Apr 04, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:13 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontakos View Post
Nice!

Do you have a schematic or picture of how you did the linking for ailerons?
Click twice on the middle picture to enlarge. You'll notice that the aileron servo is inverted. Short pushrods connect to the aileron torque rods. Pretty standard hook-up for this sort of plane.

Some pylon racers only use one aileron - usually the inboard aileron so you don't have to worry about adverse yaw.
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:13 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
I love the idea and can't wait to see how it flies.

I'm amazed at how tiny those servos are. The torque seems about in line with the thrust of Spekrum linear servos, but the transit time looks very fast.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:22 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,062 Posts
Those little servos work extremely well. I have them on this little Cutlass which is very fast. They are digital servos.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Last edited by flypaper 2; Apr 04, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:41 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,476 Posts
the main reason i like them for is their precision, the linear servos have quite a bit of slop for their size, but these have almost none. the only odd thing with these is the servo arms have holes around .035 inch so most micro push rods have too much play in them. couple ways around this; drill a smaller hole in between them, or use a larger piece of wire tied and glued to carbon rod.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:02 AM
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Joined Aug 2007
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Jim View Post
Click twice on the middle picture to enlarge. You'll notice that the aileron servo is inverted. Short pushrods connect to the aileron torque rods. Pretty standard hook-up for this sort of plane.

Some pylon racers only use one aileron - usually the inboard aileron so you don't have to worry about adverse yaw.
Thanks Jim,

I now understand what I am seeing. First I was like " hmmm only one servo arm and pushrod, yet 2 ailerons to control...how does that work?"
kontakos is offline Find More Posts by kontakos
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:25 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,476 Posts
Well I finally got a break in the weather to try out this little guy....

IT RIPS!!

I was worried the wings might not lift the plane but they do just fine, it can slouch around on 30% throttle but when you punch it, hold on tight! Its been a long time since an aircraft kept me on my toes this much and I love it. I can tell that the airframe might get beat up easily but I'm hoping the low weight will keep crashes mild.
I'd love to see what a better prop would do on this thing.
I flew 2 cells throught it until the motor started losing speed and brought it in. I did have to reduce the elevator throw to 60% as it was too touchy and made the model slow down. After reducing it, it flies smooth as can be. I think the flight time is close to 5 minutes on the 160mah turnigy cells I have. It could absolutely handle a heavier cell if there were room for it.
After the second flight I checked the motor temp and it wasn't warm that I could tell so I should be able to give it a bit more bite on the prop without cooking it.
Any prop recommendations?
Old Apr 06, 2012, 02:54 AM
Paris (France)
Joined Jan 2006
851 Posts
Nice, derk!
indoor_fr is offline Find More Posts by indoor_fr
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:02 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,783 Posts
what size props is on there? 2510?
there are few props in the super small size. BP 2.25, GWS 2510 and 2508, and airhogs 44mm prop.

edit: what thrust are you getting?

this inspires me to make a 10 inch p51 using the same motor!

EDIT2: so i just ordered express EMS to usa shipping, for a ap-03 and 6 130 nano and 2 hk 5320. yay! (tho shipping cost almost as much as the order!)
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Last edited by nemoskull; Apr 06, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:24 AM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,476 Posts
This prop is from an alien air saucer. Its about 45mm diameter with more pitch than an aeroace prop. I know I'm getting less than 1:1 thrust but I think some of that is the speed exchanging fro. Thrust. Same on larger models, thrust isn't everything on a speed model.
I think I might make some templates from truism if others are interested in building one
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:32 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,783 Posts
would be cool to start a micro pylon racer class..... seen the bigger ones at a local model airshow. the combustion motor sounds like a BL motor going all out! crazy sound.

try a gws 2508. the pitch seems about the same as the 44mm airhogs. i have heard people using thos props on those motors.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:25 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,476 Posts
Nemo, if your using the ap-03, you might need to enlarge the fuselage enough to fit a larger cell. The height under the wing could be stretched a few mm so the batt can sit under the aileron servo.