HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:47 PM
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
Discussion
DJI Naza gimbal level issue linked to FFF issue

Hi all,
I know it is well documented in the Naza forums that when flying FFF the naza resets the forward flight angle as level, and you need full opposite stick just to get it to level again.

I've been having some issues with my gimbal related to this which I haven't found much info on from other people. When flying even half stick or more forward, my Naza gets the FFF problem, and then my gimbal adjusts also to register the new angle as level.

This is only really noticeable when using aileron though as I'm not too worried about the tilt axis. If I am flying sideways at any more than half stick, the Naza resets the level angle, and then the gimbal is reset too. You can see that it tilts to the horizon, and when making left/right movements it always comes back to that tilted angle. I have to give lots of left/right stick input to get it to level out eventually.

This is very concerning when flying FPV, as when the gimbal locks on an angle, it often appears to me as if I have the copter tilted massively to left or right; which would make me compensate for a movement which hasn't even occurred! It became really worrying the other day when flying (not hard at all, but not hovering) when I stopped, the gimbal was askew and I couldn't tell what angle I was sitting at.

This is becoming very frustrating as I want to get some nice shots while moving forward, panning around etc and am constantly having to try and avoid this gimbal resetting the level angle.

What can I do to fix it? I've read mention of adjusting atti gains?

Is DJI planning a firmware fix etc for this?
slidins15 is offline Find More Posts by slidins15
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:52 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Did I understand you right, you are using a camera with video out on a gimbal for your FPV?
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:05 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,107 Posts
Why would you use a stabilized gimbal for FPV?
Never heard of that before.
Seems like it would make it harder to FPV that way
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:10 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Why would you use a stabilized gimbal for FPV?
Never heard of that before.
Seems like it would make it harder to FPV that way
I think the question about the FFF and gimbal level changing on its own is the more relevant issue no?

I just purchased the Naza and am loving its locked in height hold, but to be honest, I haven't poured over the Naza thread with all the info good and bad.

So the question from the OP is an interesting one and I'd like to hear what say the DJI resellers?

anomoly, setup issue, firmware fix coming, etc
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:30 AM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,644 Posts
I bet this only happens in ATTI mode, try flying FFF in normal mode and see how it acts.
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Sep 2008
7,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
I think the question about the FFF and gimbal level changing on its own is the more relevant issue no?

I just purchased the Naza and am loving its locked in height hold, but to be honest, I haven't poured over the Naza thread with all the info good and bad.

So the question from the OP is an interesting one and I'd like to hear what say the DJI resellers?

anomoly, setup issue, firmware fix coming, etc
I have not heard of the issue explained above. Do you have a link?
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:33 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Morris View Post
I bet this only happens in ATTI mode, try flying FFF in normal mode and see how it acts.
interesting...the Op didn't state if this was in ATTI or Normal.

Quote:
I have not heard of the issue explained above. Do you have a link?
No offense Tony, but read my post again.
I said I haven't poured over the naza thread(s) and said the question from the OP is an interesting one
I'm not making the claim that in FFF mode the Naza resets the angle while in flight...I'm saying as a new Naza owner, its an interesting question and if true, something to be aware of.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
Yes I fly fpv through a stabilized gimbal. I do this because I am trying to get nice stable footage in areas that I can't reach/see by eye.

The problem is occurring in atti mode. I don't want to switch to manual because as mentioned it is a lot harder to fly with the gimbal stabilized and I don't want to hit the ground

Are people just accepting that the naza can't go more than half stick ail and ele in atti mode? I think it's something we should be complaining about and getting fixed with a firmware update
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:07 AM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidins15 View Post
Yes I fly fpv through a stabilized gimbal. I do this because I am trying to get nice stable footage in areas that I can't reach/see by eye.

The problem is occurring in atti mode. I don't want to switch to manual because as mentioned it is a lot harder to fly with the gimbal stabilized and I don't want to hit the ground

Are people just accepting that the naza can't go more than half stick ail and ele in atti mode? I think it's something we should be complaining about and getting fixed with a firmware update
You might consider using a fixed FPV cam for flying and not the camera on the gimbal, that would at least solve the problem of what angle the frame is at while flying. As for the resetting level on the gimbal, I have two Naza and have yet to experience this on either of them. How long are you holding the stick at half way or more for this to happen? I find I rarely have to use more than half stick to get the multi to do what I want and generally I use no more than about 1/3 stick, maybe that's why I'm not seeing it.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:13 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
also, having lower atti gain really help. I keep the atti gain at 65%, which is more than enough for me.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
You might consider using a fixed FPV cam for flying and not the camera on the gimbal, that would at least solve the problem of what angle the frame is at while flying. As for the resetting level on the gimbal, I have two Naza and have yet to experience this on either of them. How long are you holding the stick at half way or more for this to happen? I find I rarely have to use more than half stick to get the multi to do what I want and generally I use no more than about 1/3 stick, maybe that's why I'm not seeing it.
That's an interesting thought, however I've got the go pro which has live feed out and preferably would like to keep weight to a min.

An example of when this occurs is say I've flown in a straight line for filming, and want to return to my start position. When I turn around and fly faster back to the home point, the issue starts. Or if I am fighting a strong gust of wind and have to aileron into the wind, when i release the stick, the gimbal stays has reset to the new angle I was at. It only seems to happen when I'm giving it a bit of stick - more than half stick.

Again, don't say "you shouldn't fly more than half stick" or "you should fly without the gimbal" because that doesn't help anything or address the problem I'm having.

And for those who say you shouldn't fly fast with Naza it's meant for AP, why is it that nobody has the same issues with wookong in atti mode?? It's a problem specific to the naza.

I've never heard of another flight board doing this either; why are people just accepting this as the norm with the Naza??

If that issue was fixed it would be an absolutely awesome board!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:09 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidins15 View Post
And for those who say you shouldn't fly fast with Naza it's meant for AP, why is it that nobody has the same issues with wookong in atti mode?? It's a problem specific to the naza.

Probably because they are flying with larger craft carrying larger payloads. Sport flying is not what they bought the WKM for. FFF is what Manual mode is for.

I doubt that DJI will fix something that is not a problem for most of their users. It already is an awesome board and I have flown quite a few of them.
I hope this answers your questions. Just an FYI I currently have 2 Nazas, a WKM and a MK Hexa 2. Prior craft, Gaui, ArduCopert, DIY FY20A, DIY FY90q, MultiWii, MegaWii with 9DOF among others.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I hope this answers your questions. Just an FYI I currently have 2 Nazas, a WKM and a MK Hexa 2. Prior craft, Gaui, ArduCopert, DIY FY20A, DIY FY90q, MultiWii, MegaWii with 9DOF among others.
Hey Ed is this your neighbor-> http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...133847141.html
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:35 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,981 Posts
Quote:
My guess is that he is either in Incline Village about 8 miles or South Lake Tahoe about 26 miles from me. With my new job it may be months until I get back to Tahoe. Love my job but miss Tahoe. Thanks for the post.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidins15

Probably because they are flying with larger craft carrying larger payloads. Sport flying is not what they bought the WKM for. FFF is what Manual mode is for.

I have a wookong also, have flown it on quads weighing 1.5kg to my octo weighing 6kg and have not had this problem once. I also have not used another self levelling board that has this issue, regardless of how fast you fly it.

I doubt that DJI will fix something that is not a problem for most of their users. It already is an awesome board and I have flown quite a few of them.

Granted the gimbal problem isn't an issue for most users, however the FFF problem is, it's well documented in the forums. If something is making people go W.T.F then it's a problem. Problem identified = company should fix it

Unfortunately no it doesn't. It seems to be going back to people defending a flaw in the product, and saying it wasn't meant to do that. Where does it say the Naza atti mode is only for slow flying?? I'm not DJI bashing, I really like their products for the most part. But if there is a problem they should be fixing it. I'm starting to feel the same way I did with my Wookong not holding GPS sat lock, with everybody saying it was something in the setup. Only now are DJI acknowledging GPS lock issues in the southern hemisphere. I wonder how long until they acknowledge the FFF prob.

Also FYI, i have 2 naza, 1 wookong, 1 x fy91q nav, 2 x kk board, 1 x rabbit board, so it's not the first multirotor I've flown either......