HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
9 Posts
Help!
Sterling Model Boat

I recently purchased what appears to possibly be a Sterling Model Boat, but im not sure. The boat appears to be a project in progress that was never complete. It may be a kit from the 50's or 60's? There is some wiring in place for a light in one of the cabins and there is wiring that runs to the bow and stern of the boat that I can't pinpoint unless I dissassemble parts of the boat. Which I don't want to do unless I really have to. The bow of the boat seems to have a metal container built into it which resembles a fuel cell, but there is no opening to pour fuel into it. There is also are wires and copper piping coming out of the foward container. I am looking for help with identifying the manufacturer and model of the kit and also restoration ideas, how to power the boat, what componants to outfit it for remote control, where I could find hardware such as portholes ect, and what I would need to do to add interior and exterior lighting! I am really excited about this project and would really appreciate any help and suggestions! Thank you!
georgiason is offline Find More Posts by georgiason
Last edited by georgiason; Apr 04, 2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Additional images
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:52 PM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
281 Posts
It might help to have the overall dimensions of this beauty. The silver "fuel cells" appear to be batteries.I have no idea what the copper piping is for. Good luck with your project. Greg W
Greg W is offline Find More Posts by Greg W
Last edited by Greg W; Apr 03, 2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:58 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
300 Posts
If the length is 48 inches then it is an original Sterling Corvette.
Doug
tinknocker is offline Find More Posts by tinknocker
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,700 Posts
georgiason- As I had told you today on the phone, the model is a Sterling Chris Craft Corvett, and I still have no idea what the metal can is for up in the bow.

The running hardware is the stuff that Sterling Models used in the kit, and was never really intended for R/C use. If you were to rebuild the model I would replace it with good hardware.

I think you have a hell of a deal on the model for what you paid for it. A little time and elbow grease and you will have a classic Sterling Model.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
9 Posts
Greg,
I'll post some additional pictures of it tomorrow! For some reason not all of them would not post tonight! I will post some measurements tomorrow. The silver metal container that im refering to is mounted in the front of the boat. You can see the top of it when you look through the hole that is supposed to be the foward hatch. That is what all of the copper pipes are attached to and there are wires running into the metal container to. Do you think it could be a fuel tank?
-Lloyd
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:57 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,547 Posts
Congrats nice score. The Corvette is one of the most saute after models. Personally I think one of the prettiest. I have worked on 14 of these over the past 50 years.
As to the container I do not think that it is a fuel tank But I might be an old receiver.
I am afraid that the only way to find out is to open the bulk head.
The bulk head is 1/8 balsa with nothing behind it. I cut this and mount a 6 inch speaker there.
I would cut it out. Just leave inch top and bottom and 7 inch wide on center. This will allow you to replace the bulk head if you would like to
The pictures are the last 3 I worked on.
GILL RC is online now Find More Posts by GILL RC
Last edited by GILL RC; Apr 04, 2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Apr 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinknocker View Post
If the length is 48 inches then it is an original Sterling Corvette.
Doug
Thank you Doug! That must be what it is!
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Apr 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post
georgiason- As I had told you today on the phone, the model is a Sterling Chris Craft Corvett, and I still have no idea what the metal can is for up in the bow.

The running hardware is the stuff that Sterling Models used in the kit, and was never really intended for R/C use. If you were to rebuild the model I would replace it with good hardware.

I think you have a hell of a deal on the model for what you paid for it. A little time and elbow grease and you will have a classic Sterling Model.
I'm looking foward to restoring it! Thank you for all of your help you have given me so far. Would you be able to recommend the hardware, motors, and servos to me to turn into an R/C boat?
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined Apr 2012
9 Posts
Thank you for replying to my post! You have built some beautiful Corvettes! I am really happy with my find and can't wait to start on it! Where did you purchase all of the exterior hardware such as search light, railings ect? Also how did you finish the portholes on the side? Those really add alot to the boat! I'll have to go in and cut that metal box out that is in the front of the boat then. What is the best way to repair the damage on the sides? Do you think it has been fiberglassed? I still can't figure out why there is copper piping connected to it! Are there any good books or reading I could do to figure out how to do all of the wiring? I would love to install a sound unit and interior and exterior running lights! One more question...would you send me the demensions to build an instrument panel for the helm? Mine seems to be missing it and I have no plans with mine! Thank you and I hope to hear from you again soon!
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:09 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
598 Posts

This should be a fun project. Keep us posted.
marter1229 is offline Find More Posts by marter1229
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:53 AM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,547 Posts
The best I can recomend is::
2 - 900 MOTORS
2 - 4mm drive shafts / stern tubes
2 35-40mm 3 blade props (left & Right)
1 - 12 volt 7 ah gel cell
1 - viper speed control 25-30 amp 12 volt
4-6 channel radio

The fittings on all 3 boats were original Sterling fittings.
The only thing I have are pictures of the instructions.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Apr 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILL RC View Post
The best I can recomend is::
2 - 900 MOTORS
2 - 4mm drive shafts / stern tubes
2 35-40mm 3 blade props (left & Right)
1 - 12 volt 7 ah gel cell
1 - viper speed control 25-30 amp 12 volt
4-6 channel radio

The fittings on all 3 boats were original Sterling fittings.
The only thing I have are pictures of the instructions.
Thank you for posting your recommendations and drawings! Those help me out tremendously!
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:21 AM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,647 Posts
Where can you purchase those 900 can motors?
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:47 AM
United States, NE, Grand Island
Joined Dec 2009
207 Posts
Yes, I have the same questions. Other people have to remember that some of us don't have any access to any well stocked hobby shops or even to other model boaters. Only because of the Web are we able to even come close to duplicating what people on the coasts have.
I also have a 3/4th done Sterling Corvette that many years ago I didn't like the front deck pieces that was in the kit and sent them back to the company for replacement and never heard a thing back and this boat has been sitting on my back shelf all these years. I will need to get some mahogany for the front deck and cabin sides as I was ....back then, going to use a Camron 19 for power....which I am not now.
Jim
Jim409 is offline Find More Posts by Jim409
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:05 AM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,547 Posts
The 900 motors come from POLKS HOBBY on line. www.polkshobby.com 973-351-9800 ex153
Props, shafts, couplings, speed control I get from www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk
The battery from Lowes or Home Depot.
Radio from Hobby King.

There are no more well stocked hobby shops.
Last edited by GILL RC; Apr 05, 2012 at 10:12 AM.