HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
87 Posts
Help!
Easystar II - which version?

Hello!

I have decided that my first plane will be the Easystar II. At first I decided to get the RTF version that comes with the radio that looks like an Xbox controller.
But then I changed my mind and bought another radio. But I still don't have the plane.

I've got two options, I could either get the RR version but I would have to wait for 1 month+ to get it. Or I could get a version that comes with the motor and speed controller (I think that is what it's called), and buy servos and assemble it all.
I have never done that before so I don't know if it is hard. is it easy to break something?

I don't know anyone who is flying rc planes so I will not get any help when assembling or at the first flight.

Thank you in advance.
kjur is offline Find More Posts by kjur
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:29 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,275 Posts
I know lots of people will disagree but if it is your first plane and you do not have an experienced RC pilot to check it over before you fly buying a plane that needs a lot of assembly is just asking for failure.

Get the RTF and swap out the Tx/Rx if you want to use a different Tx or buy a PnP version it will make you life a lot easy for your first few flights.
Great_Goose is offline Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:01 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,516 Posts
The best way to buy the EZ is as a kit and install your own equipment. BUT, and thats a big BUT, if you have not had much expierience in the hobby you will have a difficult time assenbling one from a kit.

The advantage of the kit is that it comes in two pieces and gives you the oppertunity to run extra wires if you decide to go with a brushless motor. You may not even know what that means.

It all depends on how mechanically inclined you are. Thats something none of us can forsee. Do yourself a favor and go to the " Foam kits" forum and then go to the "Everything you ever wanted to know about the Easystar" thread.

There is a ton of information there.

If you are not that mechanically inclined you may be wise to take Great Gooses' advice and get the ready to fly version. If you want to upgrade the equipment later on you can still do that by cutting the plane in half and then reassembling it.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,112 Posts
Great advice above but if your like some of us that tend to take the path with a little more resistance ...... I would ask, 'do you like reading and figuring things out for yourself?' and if the answer is yes, it will be easily accomplished. This is only complicated if you don't take advantage of 'youtube' and all the info here and elsewhere on the net. I started by building a scratch built foamie with zero rc knowledge and found it challenging and rewarding to dig out the info. It's all in these forums.

Check this for parts list:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...R--dsh-/Detail

Ignore the following if the answer was no and you wish to go the easy route for now.

Lesson 1: starting at the front of the plane .... brushless motors are the new standard. They have 3 wires and you hook it up by connecting the 3 motor wires to the 3 (large) wire group on the ESC. Ignore the smaller (3 wire group) cluster for now, they will go to the Throttle channel on the receiver later. If motor doesn't work flip/swap any 2 of those wires. Forget Brushed motors (they have 2 wires only) for now.

We will guide you through the build ... one segment at a time. There are only five segments (Motor, ESC, Receiver, Servos and Battery) to the power train ...... keep in mind every pilot has a transmitter that is compatible to the receiver. We choose our receivers with this in mind.

If we all pitch in it could be a valuable thread for beginners that like a challenge. Google is your friend, as is the search engine on these forum pages.

Here is a power system picture ... feel free to ask any questions, there are no bad questions when you start. I will guide you through this and I'm sure others will jump in. Ignore the circled section.
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Last edited by immelguy; Apr 04, 2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,112 Posts
Going to repost that image .... modified it a little bit.
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Last edited by immelguy; Apr 04, 2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:51 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,452 Posts
Multiplex kits are easy to assemble, so I would recommend going for the kit. Building it yourself also gives you the necessary experience for when (if) you have to repair anything.

As others have said, if you have the slightest question about it, just ask the question here, or look it up in one of the EasyStar threads.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:03 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
The EasyStar II was my first electric plane, bought as a kit because the price difference without Multiplex's power train was significant.

The manual is brilliantly put together, and there is a dedicated thread to the EZ on this forum should problems crop up.

Most of my parts for it's original setup were in a bulk order from HobbyKing - there were a few 'wrong choices' (motor), but that's really down to my inexperience and were quickly overcome.

The main issue I had was not fully RTFMing the Hitec TX manual, and assuming the prop I bought that fitted the setup I wanted would be a decent brand.

If I'd bought a similar kit (Bixler, etc) I'd probably still be building it now

Edit: if you can afford it, and want to fly ASAP, go for the RR version if you're happy setting up your choice of TX/RX properly.
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:32 AM
Joined Mar 2012
87 Posts
Thank you for the help!
I bought the DX6i to use with the plane. So it's unnecessary to get the RTF version.
The kit I was thinking about buying comes with a brusless motor. If I build it myself I will also buy servos for ailerons. I will not have this if I get the RR version.
I think I'll go with the kit that comes with the motor and build it. But I'm not sure..
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:55 AM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
If you aren't sure, then get the kit with the motor - it's amazingly easy to get confused on motor/esc/prop combos!
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:05 AM
Joined Mar 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
If you aren't sure, then get the kit with the motor - it's amazingly easy to get confused on motor/esc/prop combos!
Okay. I meant that I'm not sure if I should get the kit with the motor or the RR.
But hmmm, I think I'll go with the kit and build the plane
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/a2026m-113...-p-402613.html

This is a great motor - fits in the EZII nicely, good efficiency with the stock folding prop - handlaunching is a breeze (even with my wimpy throws!)
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,516 Posts
If you go with the kit and plan on using the supplied brushed motor then do yourself a favor and do not use the two small wires for the brushed motor. While building install three 14 gage silicon wires from the canopy area to the motor pod area. That way if you decide to upgrade later to a brushless inrunner motor you will already have the third wire needed for brushless motors.

That being said, If I were you I would not use the brushed motor that comes with the kit. I would upgrade now and save yourself the extra work later.

I used a motor from Hobby King, but they no longer show it as being available. You should look for a 2835 2200kv motor rated for a 3s 11.1volt battery. 28mm in diameter and 35mm long. The 28mm diameter will fit the motor pod perfectly.

Do some research. There is a ton of info on this plane.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
It's an EZII - it comes with a brushless already
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,516 Posts
AAAHHHH! Didn't know that.