HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:38 PM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
755 Posts
Discussion
Which A-10 Would you suggest for first EDF?

Hey guys just wanted to get your input on a good first EDF?

I am looking for a good flying scale looking A-10 Warthog for my first EDF. I appreciate your input.

Best regards,
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:39 PM
It's a really big number.
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
I've had several A-10's. One was my first EDF too

For a shiny glass model, the HET A-10 on 2x 6904 fans and 3W motors performs very well on 2x 4s2200 packs - but it's a bit of a lead sled I felt (fast in the air and I felt it wasn't that manoeuvrable due to higher wing loading / speed) and required a fair bit of cutting and glassing to fit the retracts and the stock mounting system for the retracts was a bit flimsy. When dolled up with Pave Penny and weapon racks etc it becomes a good looking bird with jet speed, at what I thought was a lower cost for a composite A-10.

On the other end of the spectrum, if you don't mind building and tweaking (and foam), the GWS A-10 on 2x EDF-55's, Hyperion X-22-3800 motors (you'd have to get Y-22's nowadays) is a brilliant performer on a 3S 2200. Lots of thrust, but very low weight (mine is over 1:1 thust : weight) and stall speed and can really be thrown around. The downer on this model is you need to install extra carbon spars in the nacelle mounts, down the fuselage, inside the horiz stab and down the wings. Mounting scale detail such as a nose gun (and removing the 'skid' moulded in on the nose), retracted main gear peeking out of the wing pods, pave penny and the rest also makes a good looking and good flying model.

I'm on my 3rd GWS A-10 - number 1 was my first EDF back in the days when brushless and lipo was just a dream . While the HET looked cooler and moved like a rocket, I prefer the GWS still, as the design was intended for heavy and under powered brushed motors / nicad packs, so on modern high power and light set ups, you can really tie it in knots in the air and it lands really slow.
Googleplex is offline Find More Posts by Googleplex
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:41 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,780 Posts
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Channel/Detail

I have no experience with the A-10 but I came across this one (EPO foam) while visiting this website.

This website has the GWS A-10 www.allerc.com

HobbyKing - A-10 Warthog Dual EDF RC Jet (8 min 5 sec)
(HK A-10)
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Last edited by IWC; Apr 03, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:00 AM
Aerial Operator
Joined Feb 2012
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleplex View Post
I've had several A-10's. One was my first EDF too

For a shiny glass model, the HET A-10 on 2x 6904 fans and 3W motors performs very well on 2x 4s2200 packs - but it's a bit of a lead sled I felt (fast in the air and I felt it wasn't that manoeuvrable due to higher wing loading / speed) and required a fair bit of cutting and glassing to fit the retracts and the stock mounting system for the retracts was a bit flimsy. When dolled up with Pave Penny and weapon racks etc it becomes a good looking bird with jet speed, at what I thought was a lower cost for a composite A-10.

On the other end of the spectrum, if you don't mind building and tweaking (and foam), the GWS A-10 on 2x EDF-55's, Hyperion X-22-3800 motors (you'd have to get Y-22's nowadays) is a brilliant performer on a 3S 2200. Lots of thrust, but very low weight (mine is over 1:1 thust : weight) and stall speed and can really be thrown around. The downer on this model is you need to install extra carbon spars in the nacelle mounts, down the fuselage, inside the horiz stab and down the wings. Mounting scale detail such as a nose gun (and removing the 'skid' moulded in on the nose), retracted main gear peeking out of the wing pods, pave penny and the rest also makes a good looking and good flying model.

I'm on my 3rd GWS A-10 - number 1 was my first EDF back in the days when brushless and lipo was just a dream . While the HET looked cooler and moved like a rocket, I prefer the GWS still, as the design was intended for heavy and under powered brushed motors / nicad packs, so on modern high power and light set ups, you can really tie it in knots in the air and it lands really slow.
Thank you very much for the reply! Yea i have always been into the A-10! My brother is in the USAF and is a Combat Controller, so he brings in a lot of A-10's and he says that hearing that 30mm Gatling on the front is music to his ears, mine too

I really like the scale look A-10's and I have been looking at this model http://www.bananahobby.com/2100.html

The only thing is though it is really nice and I wouldnt want to crash it, so that is why I am aiming for something a little smaller that wont be to damaged if I have some small crashes.

In your experience how do A-10's fly? I am a novice to intermediate pilot and would love to get something I can fly when I am not doing FPV.

Thanks Again for your advice,
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:00 AM
Aerial Operator
Joined Feb 2012
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWC View Post
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Channel/Detail

I have no experience with the A-10 but I came across this one (EPO foam) while visiting this website.

This website has the GWS A-10 www.allerc.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1U6n...eature=related (HK A-10)
Thanks, I might end up picking this up for my first EDF.

cheers,
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:46 AM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,780 Posts
Try and get fans that do not require balancing.
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:01 AM
It's a really big number.
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
A-10 fly really well - like an intermediate trainer more than anything else in most conditions, but they do have a nasty spin characteristic...

The engine location allows it to be 'spoiled' by air spill off the wings / fuselage in a spin - should the aircraft go into a spin, the inboard fan gets spoiled air off the long nose and stalled wing, while the outboard is in clean air and produces lots of thrust - or in other words, the spin gets power assistance and can be really fast .

To rescue a spin, back off the power, nose down and let the airframe recover airspeed.

The good news is, all the A-10 models I've seen telegraph that they are wanting to spin long before they do by developing a wing rock before they stall and spin.
Googleplex is offline Find More Posts by Googleplex
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:23 PM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
A-10 Profile build

Have been looking around for A-10 builds.
Hope this is a proper place to get my Build into the mix. Here goes.
Building an A-10 from 3/4 in. 20 Core Blue Foam.-- 55 in..Wing,-- 44 in.Fuz., Scratch Build [PROFILE].
Found the plans in an OLD 1992 Model Airplane Mag. This would have been an full build stick model. Coverting the plans to PROFILE BUILD.
I am into FOAM, PROFILE BUILDING this past winter. This is my first attempt at any type of EDF plane. So will need all the help I can get.
Attached Pictures.
SARG5 From Kansas
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:38 PM
SARG5
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
SARG5 here again for more on this build
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:43 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,425 Posts
The best one I have seen is the one from:

http://cgrcjets.com/

I saw his original version yesterday while visiting his place, and it was impressive! he is now working on new tooling for an even more "scale" version with all panel lines, rivets,etc and what he had done is extremely nice! If you don't mind a bit of a wait for him to finish his tooling, I would highly recommend his.
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:43 PM
SARG5
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
SARG5 me AGAIN. hIT THE WRONG key??
1. Not going with RETRACTS
2. Thinking along the lines of 70 mm EDF. What ever the 70mm means????
3. Not sure on the EDF mountings. As you note in the pictures, the org. plans have
a flay bar mount. Notice that most of the ARF builds have a mount that set at about an 30 deg. angle.?
4. Still working on the paint. As most of you know , with this BLUE FOAM. GLUE AND PAINT IS ALWAYS A PROBLEM. Hard for me to find water base paint that gets a good shine to it. Still working on that one.
Also having problems with hinges. Keep eating up the foam, even with FOAM SAFE glue.
SARG5
Not going to do much work this summer. Have to get to fishing.
SARG5