Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:10 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Help!
KK Multicopter controller board X-Copter

Hi everyone here, I purchased one of these boards from this guy

I have followed the instructions to the letter.
I've tried the stick centering setup, and am not able to, as after moving the pitch pot fully CCW, it won't initiate the controllers (ESC's), so have to go back and calibrate ESC's again..I have also individually calibrated ESC's too, to hopefully get the best possible result with setting up.

I have to radio's, the DX-7 and Futaba 9c..Tried them both, NO D/R or mixers, EPA's set to 100%

I purchased the board with the tricopter firmware pre loaded from the vendor.

Despite trying to get it to arm so many times, using so many combinations with trims etc, it just will not arm the board..The blue LED flashes normally during the ESC calibration process, but when moving the elevator stick bottom, right, or left, it always fails to arm, whatever combination of EPA's and trims I try..(left on my mode 1 tx's)

Maybe I'm really stupid or something, but despite my futile searches on here and the internet, I have not found a 'Dummies Guide' or similar, nor any kind of in depth troubleshooting guide.

Is there anyone out there able to give my some other pointers, I just cannot believe this thing can be so hard to setup!

Please please please help!

Many thanks

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Feb 2012
795 Posts
Im defintely a noob at this and my KK was driving me crazy as well trying to get it to arm. I had to turn the YAW pot CCW to enter ESC calibration and then turn the board off before I put the YAW pot back to 50%. Then I powered the board back on, the ESC armed itself and then I moved my throttle stick to bottom left to get the board to arm and the LED to come on. Mine is a HK KK v3 board, Im not sure if that will help.
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:06 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Thanks epyonxero, I have tried exactly that, but my board refuses to arm, and if I return the yaw pot back to 50% and power off, I then have to enter ESC calibration mode again, every time, this is driving me nuts!

I'm not sure if I have a bad board, so am wondering if there is anyone else who has experienced the same issues as me, it's brand new, hasn't been roughly handled, so really am lost for ideas..The manual makes it look so simple, but there is no troubleshooting guide in the event that it won't arm, except to suggest that I retard the throttle trim. I even tried subtrim on throttle too, but met with the same results..

Thankyou for your input anyway

Matt
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:13 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
997 Posts
I had the same problem with my kk v5.5 x-copter v2.3 board. It armed once then when I adjusted the pots one of them to zero (not sure which one) to set it up and fine tune it would not arm again, I am an engineer by trade and quite technically minded! but the dam thing would not arm again, after setting trims and adjusting pots to zero and calibrating escs in every which way it eventually armed again, tried to work out a logical procedure but it just did'nt seem to make sense! all I can say is try every different combination to get it to arm and when it does arm DON'T put any of the pots to zero again! think I tried for over an hour and nearly gave up! but it armed eventually and works great now.

Hope this helps! I can feel your frustration!
ripmax is offline Find More Posts by ripmax
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:15 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
997 Posts
Think it is something to do with the pots at zero and may need one set at zero to get it to arm.
ripmax is offline Find More Posts by ripmax
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:12 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
You have this on a tricopter? Do you know which firmware is on the board? KK boards can be very frustrating because they were not intended to be a commercial venture and as a result many people have made and sold these boards and several different people have developed firmware for them.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Sep 2010
286 Posts
1. Try reversing your throttle channel on the radio.
2. Try turning the pot CW all the way to achieve minimum position. Depending on the firmware you are using the direction to turn the pot to achieve a minimum position changes.

(Also, it's kind of scary to do this, but you can tell if your throttle channel needs reversing by putting it all the way to full, then adding yaw and see if the board arms. If it does, I'd disarm it quickly because it's easy to become confused with the throttle and by pushing down it will actually turn on the motors! But its one way to tell if it needs reversing.)
bladeaudio is offline Find More Posts by bladeaudio
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:53 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Cheers ripmax, I'll get trying some of those suggestions. Seems like there is no exact science with the management of this board!

Yes, is a tricopter, to be honest, I have no idea of which firmware incarnation is loaded, I'm waiting for a USB programmer to arrive from HK. I'm, hoping I can flash it using this device, once I have it.

"1. Try reversing your throttle channel on the radio. If I were to reverse the throttle, and is a success, will I then need to reverse it on the board somehow,to get the stick movement back, ie high =fast, low= slow.
2. Try turning the pot CW all the way to achieve minimum position. Depending on the firmware you are using the direction to turn the pot to achieve a minimum position changes.
Will try that too!

(Also, it's kind of scary to do this, but you can tell if your throttle channel needs reversing by putting it all the way to full, then adding yaw and see if the board arms. If it does, I'd disarm it quickly because it's easy to become confused with the throttle and by pushing down it will actually turn on the motors! But its one way to tell if it needs reversing.) "

And that, thanks.

Sorry there are no proper quotes used, the PC I'm using at work won't open the quotation bubble to cut/paste.. Not my week for tech things!

It is probably something really simple, but finding the simple solution is the hardest thing!

Thanks guys

Matt

Anymore suggestions, please feel free!!
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:55 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
One more thing... I can start my motors in the DISarmed mode..I assumed the arming process was a safety feature to prevent the motors from being activated accidentally, or have I completely misunderstood that point?

It's just so hard being a multicopter noob..
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:20 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,642 Posts
The motors are not suppose to run unless board is armed. Safety feature like you guessed. You might want to wait and program exactly what you want on it. You can also go to Minsoo's site and compare response to his online manual if it has his Tricoptor2.5 on it.

http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.html?modea=manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton View Post
One more thing... I can start my motors in the DISarmed mode..I assumed the arming process was a safety feature to prevent the motors from being activated accidentally, or have I completely misunderstood that point?

It's just so hard being a multicopter noob..
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:35 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Thanks for that pug398, I think then, the firmware MAY be the issue.
I'll reload the firmware using your suggestion when my programmer arrives, this had to be the problem..

I just had another thought, the BEC's on the ESC's have to be isolated when using a UBEC? (As I have wired into my power cables)
Just wondering if this might cause problems? Lol, just feels like I'm clutching at straws here, but guess it's worth asking.

Cheers

Matt
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Sep 2010
286 Posts
Ya, if you have a tricopter and don't know what firmware it is, I'd say the first thing you need to do is program the board with known firmware. I've had great success with KK 1.6 on my tri.

What you mentioned with the BEC/UBEC won't cause what you are seeing now. If you connect all the BECs from the ESCs together (through the control board), best case nothing will happen, worst case you will burn out an ESC or two. It depends on what method the ESC is using to provide power. If you have a UBEC, I'd say go ahead and disconnect the + side of your ESCs connection to the control board.
bladeaudio is offline Find More Posts by bladeaudio
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:52 AM
Never left one up there yet...
Canada, BC, Campbell River
Joined Jun 2009
98 Posts
If all the above fails, try lowering your low throttle endpoints on the transmitter. On the DX7 you can do this with the travel adj. menu. I don't know what the Futaba camp calls it but I'm sure there is a similar function in there.

Cheers

MJ
mdjohnson is offline Find More Posts by mdjohnson
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:20 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,642 Posts
Another hint might be to turn your yaw pot to zero and power up the board and see how many times led blinks. Choices are usually 2,3 and 10 times for esc calibration mode. It is also possible to have Mike's tri code on it in which case the pots would have no effect on anything.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:23 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Hi guys. My HK KK board V.2 arrived today,with the programming tool. Can anyone provide me with a direct link to download of the best tri firmware, plus a set up tool please? (software, win 7 64 bit)

Am going to try again from scratch as it were, to see if this will get my tricopter working at last, and thanks for your input guys, much appreciated, and will try and do my best with it!

Cheers

Matt