HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:53 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
One question on your diagram. Why do you have the M1-4 outputs going through the ET OSD to the ESC's? I was not aware of any multirotor control available on the ET yet.

Oh and to answer your questions:
The GS battery: You could do the math and add up all the current being drawn by your components and calculate the capacity needed. Or you could wait till you try it and see how much you are consuming, then select accordingly. Or you could just go with the 2 5000mAh, since weight or size are not so much of an issue on the ground. I would think that would be plenty.
Camera: Since you are using a separate battery for the Tx, you can power it straight from that 12V 3S, no filtering should be needed.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Last edited by Cervanchez; Oct 20, 2012 at 08:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:03 PM
BUILD.FLY.CRASH.REPEAT.
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2012
697 Posts
Great thread. Your energy reminds me of when I started in on FPV/Multirotors

For the ground station, when I had a 5.8ghz setup, to power my rX and Fatsharks, I'd run at 1300mah 2s that worked well for all the batteries that I'd have to fly with (2x 2200, 2x 3000, 1x5000) about an hr of total time 'ON')

But, if you're going w/ a monitor, dvr, and other stuff.... the dual 5000 might be a lil more understandable.

Lookin' forward to seeing your beast in the air
p0st4L is offline Find More Posts by p0st4L
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:56 AM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Good build

[QUOTE=Kosmos;23055419]This is my first quad - very new to ALL this, but I am very excited to get this in the air - still waiting on ESCs, and other things.....
My plan is a HTFPV frame with:
-Eagletree OSD and logger and GPS,
-ImmersionRC 5.8 vTX
-GoPro flight record
-readymaderc - RMRC-540N video for FPV
-Turnigy plush 30A ESC
-3300mah 3S main lipo
-500mah 3S vTX lipo
-28-26A motors (had to cut the shafts)
-DJI NAZA with GPS
-Eagle tree ground station (readymaderc tracking station)
-Fat Shark goggles

Cut down the 28-26A motor shafts:

Shaft almost flush with the motor - but there is room with the motor mounts anyway:

Arms are done and Body shafts installed - I CA'd the motor mounts - hope I don't regret that...

Your build looks good.
I also Ca'd the motor mount. Slack there can cause vibration.
I've had some discovery regarding prop adapters.
I just wish all of them were machined accurately.
Many of us balance motors, props, and make a stable frame only to find out
a subtle wiggling prop adapter connection that can make a camera see jello.
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:45 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,094 Posts
earthorbitor: For future reference you might want to wrap your motors in a plastic bag with only the shaft sticking out. When you cut the shaft the filings are attracted by magnets. Ask me how I know? lol
I now remove the shafts to cut them, but I had an RC timer motor faiI and I took it apart. Metals filings all over the magnets. I "fixed" the others by blowing them out with a stream of air from a compressor.
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:55 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmos View Post
This is my first quad - very new to ALL this, but I am very excited to get this in the air - still waiting on ESCs, and other things.....
My plan is a HTFPV frame with:
-Eagletree OSD and logger and GPS,
-ImmersionRC 5.8 vTX
-GoPro flight record
-readymaderc - RMRC-540N video for FPV
-Turnigy plush 30A ESC
-3300mah 3S main lipo
-500mah 3S vTX lipo
-28-26A motors (had to cut the shafts)
-DJI NAZA with GPS
-Eagle tree ground station (readymaderc tracking station)
-Fat Shark goggles

Some suggests most welcome on my wiring diagram I know it is not right - little confusing to a newbie. I also got power distribution plate from HT would like ask for some guidance as how best to solder that up? Would I be better off
with a 750mah for video system? Question on GS - how best to wire up the lipo there would like a dual 5000mah setup - is it best to use a regulator there?
I'll be powering the tracking station and servos, 5.8 video receiver, fat sharks, and perhaps a small LCD of some sort - still working on that idea....
One last thing - how best to power the FPV camera?

Draft Wire Diagram

Ground Station under construction:

Cut down the 28-26A motor shafts:

Shaft almost flush with the motor - but there is room with the motor mounts anyway:

Arms are done and Body shafts installed - I CA'd the motor mounts - hope I don't regret that...

In the mean time I am abusing an MQX quad - to brush up on my flight skills and
get myself comfy with the Specktrum DX8.

TIA
I don't think you can hook the Naza into the eagle tree like that.
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:47 PM
Just Starting..
Joined Oct 2012
13 Posts
Thanks for the tips and updates - keep them coming - I am researching hooking the Naza to the ET. Also was worried about the magnets and metal shavings... bag was a great idea. I have been blowing them out with compressed air - hate to have
one fail on me.
Kosmos is offline Find More Posts by Kosmos
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:36 PM
United States, PA, Bethlehem
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmos View Post
Thanks for the tips and updates - keep them coming - I am researching hooking the Naza to the ET. Also was worried about the magnets and metal shavings... bag was a great idea. I have been blowing them out with compressed air - hate to have
one fail on me.
If you get the ET GPS / Naza GPS issue sorted out you'll be a hero. Would love to see a shared GPS stream eliminating the need for two GPS units.
robstach is offline Find More Posts by robstach
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Oh wait - I didn't notice your M1-M4 connection. If you are using Naza why would you want ET to take over to begin with? Just curious...

I personally treat OSD as a separate component to simplify things - plus, Naza does a pretty good job on all accounts. But - I'm probably missing something
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:00 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Your not missing anything. What he is trying to do won't work. I am curious what would happen if you tried though.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Fist View Post
Your not missing anything. What he is trying to do won't work. I am curious what would happen if you tried though.
Well I'm not volunteering.

Hey- did that foam cutting wore ever show up? I sent it forever ago ... I'm windering if an envelope with a wire in it raised any eyebrows.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:17 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robstach View Post
Well I'm not volunteering.

Hey- did that foam cutting wore ever show up? I sent it forever ago ... I'm windering if an envelope with a wire in it raised any eyebrows.
Oh $#!+ yeah! It did arrive and I'm planning on using it. The foam that came with my case ended up being pluck foam after all, but in the spring I'll buy some regular foam and carve it out. At least now I have time to figure out how I want to organize things.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Haha! Okay good. I'm glAd it finally made it and I'm not on some watch list !

Hope it works out for you!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:05 PM
Just Starting..
Joined Oct 2012
13 Posts
Okay working some more on the diagram - here is what I think is a
correct diagram - at least this will get me in air?
This is my first build and I am having a blast, just can't wait to
get it in the air... updates and suggestions please?
(bummer I have to have 2 GPS.. I hear that!!!)

I also don't think the ET OSD will do 12v for the camera I got so I'll put a Y plug
on the video battery.... What do you all think about hooking the TM1000 battery
monitor to the vTX sub-system to look after the battery levels - or perhaps that doesn't work that way?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:24 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Bzzz

With the Naza as your flight controller the only thing you're using the OSD for is telemetry. You don't need to, nor should you hook anything into the OSD from the receiver (unless you have a spare channel for the menus). That is only if you are using the OSD as your flight controller, which you aren't.

A 3S battery is 12v, so you can use that to power your camera. You should filter the power though.

Take a look at this thread I made: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1692974

I have a similar setup as you (including the naza/eagle tree). It may help bridge the gap a bit.
Last edited by Exploding Fist; Oct 24, 2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:00 AM
Just Starting..
Joined Oct 2012
13 Posts
Do I hear a ding ding ding? I think I am on the right page now.
Indeed the ET OSD has NO support for multi-rotor (yet)
Here is rev 3 of the diagram - comments most welcome.
I expect to have the ESC any day. If I was going to use
the main battery for the camera what best to use for a filter?

PS thanks Exploding Fist, and nice write up.