HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:20 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2012
163 Posts
I'm using the NTM 1200 kV motors with the multiwii FC and I have a few questions. I tried to fly the HT-FPV today and I noticed that once I give the quad enough throttle to hover, it seems to be all over the place:

a) it was tilting to the right; I countered with left trim on the roll axis, and it seems to work a little bit
b) the quad wants to spin in circles (CCW); i added some right trim on the yaw access, and it works a little bit
c) the pitch access seems fine.

I'm having a hard time flying this time because I'm having to trim all the time - am I doing something wrong? my expectation is (was) that the quad would not be all over the place.
Bhuwan is offline Find More Posts by Bhuwan
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:42 PM
United States, IN, Schererville
Joined Jan 2004
265 Posts
Witespy 775k vs. Sunnysky 800k?

I`ve been flying my HT-FPV with the Witespy purchased 1050k motors. It flies great but the motors get a little too warm for my liking! I`ve tried just about every prop combo you can imagine but still not what I`m looking for. I`m thinking of going to either the Witespy 775 or the Sunnysky 800`s with 4 cells. Any advise for me? Is there a noticeable difference between these two motors?
Thanks in advance!
nike25 is offline Find More Posts by nike25
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined May 2012
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhuwan View Post
I'm using the NTM 1200 kV motors with the multiwii FC and I have a few questions. I tried to fly the HT-FPV today and I noticed that once I give the quad enough throttle to hover, it seems to be all over the place:

a) it was tilting to the right; I countered with left trim on the roll axis, and it seems to work a little bit
b) the quad wants to spin in circles (CCW); i added some right trim on the yaw access, and it works a little bit
c) the pitch access seems fine.

I'm having a hard time flying this time because I'm having to trim all the time - am I doing something wrong? my expectation is (was) that the quad would not be all over the place.
Surely someone must have advice?
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:14 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
I suggest providing more info.

ESC's, battery, gains, etc. Have you tried adjusting gains? What flight mode are you flying when this problem occurs? You may also want to try posting on the multiwii thread.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:22 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,205 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like it's a little loose. You may need to bump up your Roll and Pitch P until it starts to oscillate and then back it down ~10%.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined May 2012
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
I suggest providing more info.

ESC's, battery, gains, etc. Have you tried adjusting gains? What flight mode are you flying when this problem occurs? You may also want to try posting on the multiwii thread.
Thanks for taking the time Here is some additional information:
- 30A HK SimonK flashed ESC's (Thanks timecop)
- 2200 mAh 3S on 8" props (I could try 9" as well)
- Flying in gyro only mode until i gain some skill

I haven't yet adjusted any of the gains - at the moment, I'm trying to understand whether the problem I am seeing is a frame problem (motor, esc, battery, or the frame itself) or whether it's related to the multwii settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Sounds like it's a little loose. You may need to bump up your Roll and Pitch P until it starts to oscillate and then back it down ~10%.
Hey thanks for your reply. How are you doing? I think I missed it - what sounds loose? the Flight controller? I haven't yet changed any of the gain settings on the FC as I wasn't sure if this was related to the FC or if the hardware needed to be tweaked in some maner.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:55 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,205 Posts
Quote:
Hey thanks for your reply. How are you doing? I think I missed it - what sounds loose? the Flight controller? I haven't yet changed any of the gain settings on the FC as I wasn't sure if this was related to the FC or if the hardware needed to be tweaked in some maner.
By loose I mean it likes to drift around vs trying to correct back to level. Every frame, motor, battery, weight, combination is different. If we had the exact same setups we'd probably end up with different Multiwii settings.

You mentioned you were flying in Gyro mode only until you got more experience. I think you've got this backwards. Accel mode provides more self leveling reaction. Gyro mode doesn't try to correct back to level flight very much...thus is good for fast forward flights and 'stunts'. Accel mode is what you want to be in while learning to fly.

If you're in Accel mode and drifting around you probably want to bump up the 'Level' P gain. Don't do to much at a time though. Maybe only 1.0 up or down until it feels stable without wobbling back and forth.

Pitch, Roll, Yaw P's are adjusted about the same. If the P is to high it'll quickly oscillate back and forth. Increase your P's (one at a time) until you see this oscillation starting to set in, then back it down a little.

All this takes a little time. The default settings should provide you a flying frame, then it's up to you to adjust it in until it feels right to you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined May 2012
163 Posts
Quote:
By loose I mean it likes to drift around vs trying to correct back to level. Every frame, motor, battery, weight, combination is different. If we had the exact same setups we'd probably end up with different Multiwii settings.

You mentioned you were flying in Gyro mode only until you got more experience. I think you've got this backwards. Accel mode provides more self leveling reaction. Gyro mode doesn't try to correct back to level flight very much...thus is good for fast forward flights and 'stunts'. Accel mode is what you want to be in while learning to fly.

If you're in Accel mode and drifting around you probably want to bump up the 'Level' P gain. Don't do to much at a time though. Maybe only 1.0 up or down until it feels stable without wobbling back and forth.

Pitch, Roll, Yaw P's are adjusted about the same. If the P is to high it'll quickly oscillate back and forth. Increase your P's (one at a time) until you see this oscillation starting to set in, then back it down a little.

All this takes a little time. The default settings should provide you a flying frame, then it's up to you to adjust it in until it feels right to you.
Hey! makes total sense! Makes sense what you said about the mode I should be in.

Before I try to get auto level working, do you offer any tips for the yaw drift? Anything that I should look at, hardware wise? The one thing I've noticed is that on power up the frame drifts on the roll, but once I have a little height (> 5 ft), it doesn't go crazy on the roll axis. However, the yaw is another story that is going nuts >
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:24 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,205 Posts
Quote:
Hey! makes total sense! Makes sense what you said about the mode I should be in.

Before I try to get auto level working, do you offer any tips for the yaw drift? Anything that I should look at, hardware wise? The one thing I've noticed is that on power up the frame drifts on the roll, but once I have a little height (> 5 ft), it doesn't go crazy on the roll axis. However, the yaw is another story that is going nuts >
First question...did you calibrate your ESCs first? This can cause issues with the motors running at different RPMs. For the Multiwii boards I just connect each ESC to the Rx throttle port, turn on the Tx, go full throttle, power up the ESC, wait for the calibration beeps, pull throttle to off, wait for the confirmation beep, disconnect power, and repeat the process with the other motors.

After that then PID adjustments are probably going to be required....one axis at a time. The higher the P the more it will try to 'correct'. To high a P and it'll start to oscillate. The lower the P the less it'll try to correct. To low a P and it'll drift around to much and become difficult to control. You have to find the happy medium for your personal liking. Also, calibrate the ACCELs in the GUI. Do this on a level surface. This will help greatly with level flight when in Level mode.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:28 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:

Usually when my yaw drifts, I increase the I gain. But first calibrate your ESC's and adjust the P term to just below the point of oscillation like Vantassic said.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined May 2012
163 Posts
Quote:
First question...did you calibrate your ESCs first? This can cause issues with the motors running at different RPMs. For the Multiwii boards I just connect each ESC to the Rx throttle port, turn on the Tx, go full throttle, power up the ESC, wait for the calibration beeps, pull throttle to off, wait for the confirmation beep, disconnect power, and repeat the process with the other motors.

After that then PID adjustments are probably going to be required....one axis at a time. The higher the P the more it will try to 'correct'. To high a P and it'll start to oscillate. The lower the P the less it'll try to correct. To low a P and it'll drift around to much and become difficult to control. You have to find the happy medium for your personal liking. Also, calibrate the ACCELs in the GUI. Do this on a level surface. This will help greatly with level flight when in Level mode.

I have calibrated the ESC's - but I decided to do that again. I re-did the trims via the GUI and rechecked all the settings.

I also tightened down the motors a bit more, and tightened the arms down as well It seems to fly better.

I'm going to try and post a video to get feedback as to whether everything looks fine.

Tjhanks for your help!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:57 PM
mike76
TAHITI
Joined May 2008
87 Posts
hi
here is my video fpv with a quad

FPV QUADCOPTER GOPRO HD 2 (3 min 51 sec)

thank you
mike76 is offline Find More Posts by mike76
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:14 PM
United States, IN, Schererville
Joined Jan 2004
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike76 View Post
hi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evZfatc6cdc

thank you
Beautiful Video! Great job!
nike25 is offline Find More Posts by nike25
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:48 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike25 View Post
Beautiful Video! Great job!
Nicely done. Very enjoyable. Loved the canoe scenes....and that water....BEAUTIFUL!!! Can I come fly with you???
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:55 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike76 View Post
hi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evZfatc6cdc

thank you
Great video. All you need to find now is a good location.

Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist