HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:51 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Fist View Post
Correct, the Naza GPS near the GoPro (Hero 2) causes signal degradation. To be fair, other components do this as well, as the Naza GPS appears to be extremely sensitive to EM interference. Someone posted a youtube video with the same problem happening with it powered with the GoPro internal battery and no video out connections, otherwise that'd be my guess to Vic.

Moving the GPS to an arm and putting 3 (yes 3) ferrite rings on the wire seems to have resolved the issue. Before I had it right behind/above the GoPro, which is where the interference is the highest (someone with a spectrometer measured it).
Pics?
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
I get 2 miles. Frsky with a patch.

Video i have a 1.3ghz 400mw and a patch. Cloverleaf antenna
Where did you buy?
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:36 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Correct, the Naza GPS near the GoPro (Hero 2) causes signal degradation. To be fair, other components do this as well, as the Naza GPS appears to be extremely sensitive to EM interference. Someone posted a youtube video with the same problem happening with it powered with the GoPro internal battery and no video out connections, otherwise that'd be my guess to Vic.

Moving the GPS to an arm and putting 3 (yes 3) ferrite rings on the wire seems to have resolved the issue. Before I had it right behind/above the GoPro, which is where the interference is the highest (someone with a spectrometer measured it).
Ok, this makes sense. My GPS is usually about 6" - 8" from my gopro. no problems. On my HT-FPV frame I have it on a stalk about 4" from my gopro, with my WK-M, and getting satellites took forever. Not sure if it was the old WK-M firmware or the gorpro in that case.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:42 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuatic View Post
Guys i need some help.

I'm about ready to buy all the components to build a HT-FPV. This will be a traditional FPV setup with a gopro and fpv camera in the front. No aerobatics or sport flying. 5.8ghz video gear. I would like some advise on the motor / battery / prop setup.

Currently planning on buying the Sunny Sky 2212 980kv motors since they seem to be a popular quality motor. Please suggest a battery(how many S and what size) and props. Should i go with the 20A ESC or 30A version of SimonK flashed from rctimer? Thanks for the help
Be careful with flashed ESCs... you can cook your battery if you fly too long since low voltage cutoff is disabled. Also, if you burn one up you will need to get an exact match (flashed). I have flown with and without them and I didn't notice a big difference. Some people do notice an improvement ... I guess it's preference.

As for motors and props, for the HT-FPV the most common setup seems to be a NTM 1200KV motor with 8" props for 3s, or a 750 kv motors (T-MOTOR, DJI, etc) with 8" or 9" props and 4S.

Battery usually between 2200mah and 3000 mah.

Some run 5000's but to me thats a bit heavy.. I tend to stay under 3000.

I am sure others will offer other good options.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:16 AM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Latest build update

Everything is transferred to the frame. A front battery is in place to ballast the weight so the CG is set to hoverthings CG frame point. The X = 4cm, Y = 4 cm and the Z came out to be -8cm for the gps location in regard to the CG.
The props are so close I kind of think I might need to go to some 3 blade ones with less diameter. The motors are RCtimer 2836/9 880Kv. Weight is 1590 g.
I will fly it tomorrow in the park and post the results.
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:20 AM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,569 Posts
Hoverthings HT-FPV Naza GPS failsafe return to home night flight. LED Night lighting Strips (2 min 38 sec)
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:39 AM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthOrbiter View Post
Everything is transferred to the frame. A front battery is in place to ballast the weight so the CG is set to hoverthings CG frame point. The X = 4cm, Y = 4 cm and the Z came out to be -8cm for the gps location in regard to the CG.
The props are so close I kind of think I might need to go to some 3 blade ones with less diameter. The motors are RCtimer 2836/9 880Kv. Weight is 1590 g.
I will fly it tomorrow in the park and post the results.
Did you mean to not point the GPS forwards?
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Last edited by Exploding Fist; Sep 13, 2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:55 AM
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Cool vid daing

I decided to upgrade with too many experimental downgrades from the past.
The technology today is here. Here is a maiden naza on the old frame. I will test the hoverthings build soon.
FPV is next.

Naza M with Gps Maiden (6 min 10 sec)
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:58 AM
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Magnetic offset

Quote:
Did you mean to not point the GPS forwards?
The magnetic declination here is 16 deg clockwise.
Other places geographically vary.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:00 AM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
984 Posts
I thought the DJI motors were 920KV? what is the advantage of going 4S instead of 3S other than runtime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post
Be careful with flashed ESCs... you can cook your battery if you fly too long since low voltage cutoff is disabled. Also, if you burn one up you will need to get an exact match (flashed). I have flown with and without them and I didn't notice a big difference. Some people do notice an improvement ... I guess it's preference.

As for motors and props, for the HT-FPV the most common setup seems to be a NTM 1200KV motor with 8" props for 3s, or a 750 kv motors (T-MOTOR, DJI, etc) with 8" or 9" props and 4S.

Battery usually between 2200mah and 3000 mah.

Some run 5000's but to me thats a bit heavy.. I tend to stay under 3000.

I am sure others will offer other good options.
compuatic is offline Find More Posts by compuatic
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:44 PM
MD2
Joined Sep 2012
70 Posts
Alright- been researching and reading more. What do you guys think of this setup?

Frame: HT-FPV
Controller: DJI Naza + GPS
ESCs: HK SS Series 50-60a ESC
Motors: GForce G10 700kv
Battery: HK Zippy Compact 4s 4000mah or 5000mah (100g difference)
Camera: GoPro Hero2 (Maybe)
Radio: Frsky Something haven't fugured that part out yet.

Anyways so the weight should be around 1600g (Not including Receiver/Antennae). The thrust for the motors with a 9.5 prop is about 3470g all together.

So what do you guys think? Any ideas on other motors or ESCs?

That's all about $1000 (2 batts), not including radio/tx and FPV receiver.

Also any ideas on the rest of the gear i need? (TX/RX, transmitter for FPV, antennae?) Not looking for the "best" stuff out there. Still hoping to get 2 or so mile range.

Thanks
MD2 is offline Find More Posts by MD2
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:12 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD2 View Post
Alright- been researching and reading more. What do you guys think of this setup?

Frame: HT-FPV
Controller: DJI Naza + GPS
ESCs: HK SS Series 50-60a ESC
Motors: GForce G10 700kv
Battery: HK Zippy Compact 4s 4000mah or 5000mah (100g difference)
Camera: GoPro Hero2 (Maybe)
Radio: Frsky Something haven't fugured that part out yet.

Anyways so the weight should be around 1600g (Not including Receiver/Antennae). The thrust for the motors with a 9.5 prop is about 3470g all together.

So what do you guys think? Any ideas on other motors or ESCs?

That's all about $1000 (2 batts), not including radio/tx and FPV receiver.

Also any ideas on the rest of the gear i need? (TX/RX, transmitter for FPV, antennae?) Not looking for the "best" stuff out there. Still hoping to get 2 or so mile range.

Thanks
Your ESCs are way overkill. I'd recommend in the 18A-30A range. You're only going to be pulling ~<8A per motor. I'm not familiar with your motors either. 10's sound a bit much too.

I'd recommend motors in the 28mm OD range, ~850kv on 4S and 9" props or ~1200kv and 8"props on 3S. I like the Simonk flashed ESCs. They're quieter and smoother than 'stock' programmed ESCs. You can find motors and flashed ESCs at RCTimer.com that will work well and not cost an arm and a leg.

For FPV equipment, I'd go with 1280MHz, 300-800mW. I'd recommend not skimping on the FPV equipment...go cheap and go pick up the pieces at the crash site. I've had good experiences with ReadyMadeRC, DPCav, and HobbyWireless for my FPV video equipment.

I don't think you're gunna get 2miles on a quad; however, you're best off with a UHF radio system for that sort of range. The standard 2.4G stuff isn't gunna work for you. I'm using Dragon Link for my UHF system and it's never let me down...at ranges of 6.5miles on my FPV fixed wing.

Don't just assume a large battery will give you lots more flying time. Larger mean more weight, means more power required to fly, means high current draw, means faster battery consumption, means shorter fly times than you might expect. There's a balancing act between capacity, weight, and power. Change one and everything else changes. I think you'll find most folks are getting 6-8 minutes on their loaded quad frames.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:11 PM
KK4LIK
United States, GA, Ocilla
Joined May 2012
91 Posts
Almost got it to where I want it...

Frame: HT FPV
Flight Controller: Naza W/GPS
Power Distribution: HT
Batteries: 3800-5000mah 3s
ESC: 30 amp optos
Motors: 1050kv Turnigy 16t
Props: 9' graupner E-prop
Rx: DR8-xp w/failsafe
Lights: yes
Camera: GoPro/ 5v NTSC 550 line RMRC
Video Tx: 600mw 5.8ghz Immersion w/Cloverleaf
OSD+Rx: Immersion EZosd/current sensor/Duo 5800+ SPlanar/8dbiPatch
AUW: Not sure if I want to know....

Well I've been working on this for a while now and I think I have this where I want it, save a UHF LRS tx/rx and possibly a 4s power system. The only problems I have right now are a slow GPS fix on the EzOsd and low flight times (5-7min) but I might just have to live with the later. Very happy with the frame, Immersion System and Cameras but I can only get the video to display inside the Fatshark Base connected directly to the Duo 5800. I cant get the vid on my HD tv, regular "glass" tv, or 7" ntsc/pal lcd tv I have. I just hate to toss a monitor over something simple when I could be using it at my "groundstation" uh I mean backpack.
Hope to help and possibly get some help here.
Blue Skys!
Someone elses pic got in my post somehow mine are the htfpv camo w/gopro on front. pic 2 & 3
theSouthGA is offline Find More Posts by theSouthGA
Last edited by theSouthGA; Sep 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Some other guys pic in my post. Dont know how that happened but mine are 2 and 3 camo htfpv
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:35 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuatic View Post
I thought the DJI motors were 920KV? what is the advantage of going 4S instead of 3S other than runtime?
Yeah they are, which is why they are 'ok' but not 'great' for the FPV frame. They really like 10" props but 10" props are big for the FPV frame. This is why most people are using 1200kv with 8" props or 750kv with 4S and 8" props.

I have seen some people using 4S with the DJI motors and 8" props... I am still waiting to see how long those motors last with that setup...
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:51 PM
MD2
Joined Sep 2012
70 Posts
What about using them with 9" props on 4s?
MD2 is offline Find More Posts by MD2