HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:50 PM
MD2
Joined Sep 2012
70 Posts
Links?

Also, anyone able to achieve 20 minute runtimes? What batteries?
MD2 is offline Find More Posts by MD2
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:04 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD2 View Post
Anyone?

Can any of you guys get 2+ mile Range FPV? What radio/antennae setup are you running?
I made it out a little over a mile but I think battery life would limit you more than range. I guess you could make it a one way trip though...

I used EZUHF for control and a ReadymadeRC 1280MHz 300mw VTx with 2 receivers on the ground with a patch and an omni.

This was with my HT FPV quad.

Paul
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:33 PM
Australia, VIC, Mordialloc
Joined Aug 2009
833 Posts
Quote:
Links?

Also, anyone able to achieve 20 minute runtimes? What batteries?
why would you want a 20+ min flight ? im happy with my 2200mah batteries giving me 6 mins and my 3300mahs 10-12 mins but im pushing the weight with my 3300. if you want a longer flight then invest in a plane not a quad.

the HT-FPV frame isnt designed for huge batteries, if you want that then you need to find a new frame like a hexacopter or octacopter something that will or can carry the extra battery weight
ScoRpiUs2009 is offline Find More Posts by ScoRpiUs2009
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:44 PM
MD2
Joined Sep 2012
70 Posts
I'm new to this- Why can't you put more powerful motors and a bigger battery for longer flight? Obviously the new motors draw more power, but a bigger battery can't compensate?
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:06 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,813 Posts
Quote:
I'm new to this- Why can't you put more powerful motors and a bigger battery for longer flight? Obviously the new motors draw more power, but a bigger battery can't compensate?
Bigger batteries means more weight means more power required to fly means higher amp draw means faster battery consumption means... In short, one change affects everything else. It's a matter of trying to find the combination of motors, props, battery to carry the weight for as long as possible. This often means having to experiment. Lower kv motors can spin larger diameter props which can produce more thrust (lift). Higher voltages systems are also more effecient...less amps to get the same watts. This also means you need to use lower kv motors or props to keep amp draws down. Again, one change affects everything.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:04 PM
MD2
Joined Sep 2012
70 Posts
Hmm ok- so is there a way I can run 4s packs with most of the electronics everyone uses? Voltage regulator?
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:15 PM
Canada, ON, St. Catharines
Joined Jul 2012
174 Posts
Ooops!

Only lost one prop.

Flip n Die (1 min 10 sec)
Keddy is offline Find More Posts by Keddy
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:16 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Did you flip on purpose?
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:21 PM
Canada, ON, St. Catharines
Joined Jul 2012
174 Posts
Yeah, was on purpose. I wasn't expecting that much of an altitude drop. It was also my first time flying FPV in manual mode.
Keddy is offline Find More Posts by Keddy
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:18 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,813 Posts
Quote:
Hmm ok- so is there a way I can run 4s packs with most of the electronics everyone uses? Voltage regulator?
Don't use (most) ESC BECs on 4S. I use a switch mode reg for my 5v and another reg for my 12v for the video system.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:34 AM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
I still need to build myself a cloverleaf antenna, but design wise I'm pretty much done. Here she is:

Maiden FPV (nothing fancy, as I was just testing everything out):

Spiritus - FPV Test (1 min 10 sec)
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:46 AM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Wish me luck.

Soon a Hoverthings FPV frame is coming.
It will be a challenge to get the gains according to the motors and ESC' s all dialed in again with the IMU. Not only that. There will be interference that has never separated on a small frame before. I am ready for this challenge.
It will have a noisy 690TVL Ultra WDR Pixim SEAWOLF HD CCTV Mini Camera onboard for FPV that will interfere with much electronics if just hooked up. However?
Wish me luck
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:00 AM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
RF Penetration with Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Fist View Post
I still need to build myself a cloverleaf antenna, but design wise I'm pretty much done. Here she is:

Maiden FPV (nothing fancy, as I was just testing everything out):

https://vimeo.com/49137511
I'm going 900 Mhz however a cloverleaf will be large and I guess that is why they don't make them.
However at 900 Mhz certain technologies go miles on ground such as this phone can do that is well proven in the past.
http://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-SN920.../dp/B000056V7S
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:48 AM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
I have been struggling with the same problem and think I just got it solved. I was running DJI motors with 10" Graupners and 3S with my Naza. Over the weekend I switched to 9" gemfans, then flew both 3S and 4S batteries. I noticed a huge difference between the two batteries. With 3S, evertime I would yaw in FFF, my roll would be affected, so I couldn't do banked turns. With 4S, it was smooth and much more controllable. It was a very calm day, so I still need to test in wind, but I am much happier with my machine. I'm going all 4S in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
Same here. I switched over to a 4s setup and the behavior of the quad was better. It yawed and banked with more authority. I noticed it was somewhat of a pig on a large 3s 4000mah pack. I've been playing with the gain a lot and it seems to like the ATTI gain high.

Im not particularly happy with how the HT-FPF performs in ATTI mode when you really fly it aggressively. I've been flying in MANUAL mode and performs very well. I fly in ATTI mode when doing slow flying and precision hovering.

Sunnysky 980kv motors with simonk esc's. Just bought some 9x5 graupners. Will test those out. Currently on 10x3.8 apc's.

Post your gain settings.
Right guys I made some progress with this, I too am using sunnysky motors and graupner 9x5s, I changed to graupner 10x5s and its a massive improvement in YAW whilst in FFF. Im also going to try to balance the COG a little better as its tail heavy at the moment.

Quadcopter KK2 Gopro - Dodging the Hay Bales (5 min 22 sec)

Im also having the vibrating arms issue (in hard/fast turns or climbouts) I tried hot glueing the underside of the motor plate where it slots into the side plates, its better but Im still getting them. Is this a common problem? Whats the best way to stop the motor plates vibrating?
MrBen. is offline Find More Posts by MrBen.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBen. View Post

Im also having the vibrating arms issue (in hard/fast turns or climbouts) I tried hot glueing the underside of the motor plate where it slots into the side plates, its better but Im still getting them. Is this a common problem? Whats the best way to stop the motor plates vibrating?
Put a layer of tape on the tabs and reinstall. You can also grind down the spacers a few thousands to clinch the frame tighter. Careful though.
Diamondback68 is offline Find More Posts by Diamondback68