HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:36 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,595 Posts
I just tried some Gemfan carbon filled 9x4.5 props on my tricopter on 4S and was surprised by the results. My WOT current was 10A per motor...well within my 18A ESC limit. Of course the tricopter is lighter than the HT-FPV quad, but the initial power consumption looks good. This weekend (winds permitting) I'll put the 9" props on my FPV frame with the 920kv motors and 4S and get some real flight data on them. I'll post my findings along with my other readings. I'm hoping it might end up with a lower mAh/minute result from what I'm getting now. I hope, I hope.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:24 AM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post

Also, if you are having strange issues, make sure your ESC's are all grounded together at the signal leads... some esc's work fine with just signal, but other require both signal and ground to work correctly.
Tom - I have the Turnigy Plush 30A ESCs and have just the signals (well only 3 of them, the first one has power and ground) plugged into the CC board, the other ground and power wires I just wrapped and tucked away. I don't think I have an issue, as anyone had an issue doing it this way with these ESCs?
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:35 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwkeeper View Post
Tom - I have the Turnigy Plush 30A ESCs and have just the signals (well only 3 of them, the first one has power and ground) plugged into the CC board, the other ground and power wires I just wrapped and tucked away. I don't think I have an issue, as anyone had an issue doing it this way with these ESCs?
I do this with most of my 'copters. (Most if not nearly all) grounds are common on the ESCs, thus the servo wire ground is on the same ground plane as the battery power gnd wire...thus creating a common ground for the system. I've read of others having problems without their servo wire grounds connected to the FCs though. For me, never had that problem though...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Dec 2011
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucross View Post
You know I haven't tried hanging on to the frame and feeling for vibes, but that solution sure sounds better than the chickens and goats I was about to sacrifice in an effort to get this thing going. I'm going to tighten everything up again and look for any possible vibes.

The only odd snafu during the build was that I shaved one of the arm tabs 1mm to short and it doesn't snap into its socket snugly.

Either way, vibes are the only culprit left at this point so off I go.
Here are my settings that it came level at and Trim on transmitter is neutral, now I just need to treat oscillation and get this thing really tuned in rate mode.
Changed settings to this to get level in air:

Accelbias -
(X) 75
(Y) -10
(Z) 14

When placing Quad Flat and hitting the Level button this is what the settings read:

Defauit -
(X) 13
(Y) -2
(Z) 14

Does anything here look offbase? Or is this pretty normal for this frame with all FPV gear installed?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
435 Posts
OK here is my HT-FPV Quad, a lot like Juz's

Here is my build

OpenPilot CopterControl

FrankenQuad CC protective case
Spektrum AR 7000 rx + sat rx
HT power distribution board
Turnigy Plush 30 amp ESCs
NTM 1200kv motors
NTM 28 series accessory pack

Gaui 8 inch props

Turnigy ESC programming card

400mW vTx
600XV camera
3dbi whip antenna
370mah 3s lipo for cam/vtx

GoPro Hero2 for onboard recording
LayerLens GoPro protection

Weight:
without batteries: 1138 grams
with 370 mAh battery and 3000 mAh battery: 1394 grams
with 370 mAh battery and 3300 mAh battery: 1420 grams
Last edited by shdwkeeper; Jun 06, 2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:58 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
If you're using the Naza controller then I'd go with the DJI ESCs. If you use 'other' ESCs then make sure you disable the ESC BECs by removing the red servo wires from the connectors. You don't want to try and have two different power sources fighting each other to feed your system.
FWIW I have run a Naza with other ESCs and left all wires connected, no issues.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:40 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,943 Posts
Quote:
Have you used these esc's on another quad without grounding them?

Also, how did you program the endpoints for the ESC?
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:35 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,595 Posts
Quote:
FWIW I have run a Naza with other ESCs and left all wires connected, no issues.
I've read of others doing the same with no issues. The advice I've gotten from some ESC manufacturers (Castle Creation being one) was to not run different power sources (ESC BECs) in parallel as they could interfere/fight each other. That was many years ago and the technology has evolved and maybe it's not as big a deal as it used to be. I've gone both ways on this...sometimes I connect up power wires on multiple ESCs and sometimes I don't. Usually if the frame is large enough to 'store' the removed wires I will remove them. If the frame is smaller and space at a premium I'll leave all the wires connected...and never had a problem either way.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:23 PM
Too many hobbies!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2005
145 Posts
Quote:
Here are my settings that it came level at and Trim on transmitter is neutral, now I just need to treat oscillation and get this thing really tuned in rate mode.
Changed settings to this to get level in air:

Accelbias -
(X) 75
(Y) -10
(Z) 14

When placing Quad Flat and hitting the Level button this is what the settings read:

Defauit -
(X) 13
(Y) -2
(Z) 14

Does anything here look offbase? Or is this pretty normal for this frame with all FPV gear installed?
I'm having the same pitch forward issues as others using the CC board, following the suggestions here and on the OP forum I have close to the same settings now:

AccelBias:
[X] 78
[Y] 10
[Z] -7

This is getting closer for having it semi-stable in attitude mode, but I guess it does not nothing for rate mode as even full aft elevator trim isn't enough to compensate. Would trying to recalibrate level with the quad tilted work? I did very the CG today.

Is it just the CC board that is having problems with the frame, or are others using the Naza having similar problems? Might try pulling a Quadrino fc off my working vic-450 setup.
fairview1100 is offline Find More Posts by fairview1100
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:57 PM
Joined Feb 2010
341 Posts
@ShdwKeeper

What size battery is that in the pic?

Beautiful setup, very clean
Magnumb is offline Find More Posts by Magnumb
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:06 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,595 Posts
In case this helps anyone. I was running these settings (attached picture) in my CC board when it was mounted in the HT-FPV frame. It worked pretty well for me in both Rate and ATTI modes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:43 PM
Joined Dec 2011
435 Posts
Quote:
Have you used these esc's on another quad without grounding them?

Also, how did you program the endpoints for the ESC?
Yes I have used these on the VC-450, and just moved them to the FPV frame.

After using a program card; I programmed the throttle endpoints by plugging the Signal ESCs into the throttle port of the receiver (thats for the ESC cable with all 3 wires attached), for the other 3 cables with just the signal wire attached, I plugged each of those into the throttle port and the first wire I plugged into the battery port of the receiver. Since I have a Futaba radio I have to have throttle in reverse mode, turn on radio put throttle all the way up, wait for two beeps, then move it all the way down it beeps a few more times than 1 long beep and I'm done.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Dec 2011
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumb View Post
@ShdwKeeper

What size battery is that in the pic?

Beautiful setup, very clean
Weight:
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Feb 2010
341 Posts
Quote:
Weight:
Ok, great info. I will be running 400mah for vTx and 3300 for mains.

Does it still perform well all loaded up? What's vertical performance like?

Cheers
Magnumb is offline Find More Posts by Magnumb
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
In case this helps anyone. I was running these settings (attached picture) in my CC board when it was mounted in the HT-FPV frame. It worked pretty well for me in both Rate and ATTI modes.
Did you touch the AccelBias in Attitude Mode?