614 Posts
custom made HT-FPV frame using 1.5mm 3k carbon fiber sheets

trinco is offline Find More Posts by trinco
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:53 AM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Isn't Carbon fibre more breakable and G10, and an electric conductor?
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:43 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Fist View Post
I do believe CF is more rigid. Which can mean more breakable....the willow bends in the wind while the mighty oak breaks. As for conductivity...probably not very much so...if at all. It does look cool and lots of frames use CF...and cost more.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:01 PM
United States, PA, Bethlehem
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Bean field. We don't need to stink'n bean field. Can you help me find my HT-FPV frame? I know I set it down somewhere...but now I've LOST it!!!!!
Quote:
Nope, I found it...right under the pile of junk. Hey...aren't you supposed to be on vacation??????
This IS vacation. I'm snuggle up with a vodka tonic while the wife and kid are at the beach. It's 1pm. I dont do well in the sun so I'm back at the beach house wishing the freakin' wind would die down.

Maybe it is nap time!
robstach is offline Find More Posts by robstach
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Hey EF, did that foam cutting wire ever make it to you? How's that project coming along?
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:09 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robstach View Post
Hey EF, did that foam cutting wire ever make it to you? How's that project coming along?
Not yet, but I did receive the case. Unfortunetly it's pluckable foam unlike the 'foam insert' advertised on the sale. I'll probably look at buying an insertable foam insert for it shortly as I much prefer the regular foam to pluckable foam. I may use the pluck to help lay everything out first though.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Not yet, but I did receive the case. Unfortunetly it's pluckable foam unlike the 'foam insert' advertised on the sale. I'll probably look at buying an insertable foam insert for it shortly as I much prefer the regular foam to pluckable foam. I may use the pluck to help lay everything out first though.
Jeez! I sent that out like a century ago. I did wonder if some eyebrows would raise if they saw a wire in an envelope ...

Hope but gets there soon.

Yeah. The pluck able foam will work but it's not quite as custom or as tight of a fit.

Best bet when you do get non-pluck is to trace your pieces with chalk and cut inside the lines. It will be super snug!
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:53 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,112 Posts
I did some reconfiguring on my HT-FPV frame the other day. I installed 750kv NTM motors and a set of Simonk flashed ESCs. On 4S with 9" props it just didn't feel it had the power....plus I started getting some bad vibs in one motor at higher throttle (probably a prop needing better balance). I just stuck my DJI 930kv motors back in and flew it today with 9x5x3 props (vs the 8" 2-blade ones). I'll have to look at my data recorder to see what they were doing in flight. They didn't feel to bad, but needed a little over 1/2 throttle to hover. Looks like it's time for more motor/prop experimentation. I wonder how the 750s would be with 10" 3-blades...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:28 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
693 Posts
I've got my HT-FPV maidened today.. and WOW! What an absolute thrill when my HT-FPV / NAZA combo leapt into the air with perfect stability the very first time! Truly fantastic and a leap ahead of my old multiwii tricopter. The DT-750's are running great on 4S fully loaded with gopro.

The ONLY problem I have is that two of the arms are still uneven / won't lay flat on a table. I've tried the recommendations here regarding tightening of screws at different points etc but I get the exact same results no matter how I tighten the screws. Unfortunately it appears to be causing the two motors on those arms to get quite a bit hotter than the other two.

Any ideas?

Chris
imagebuff is online now Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Feb 2011
647 Posts
I 've had really good luck with the GemFan carbon-filled 11x4.7's with 4S and Avroto motors. 3S just didn't do it, and I even tried 900 Kv RCTiger motors as well. Maybe try the 750's again but with 10 and 11 inch props?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=570

-John-

Quote:
I did some reconfiguring on my HT-FPV frame the other day. I installed 750kv NTM motors and a set of Simonk flashed ESCs. On 4S with 9" props it just didn't feel it had the power....plus I started getting some bad vibs in one motor at higher throttle (probably a prop needing better balance). I just stuck my DJI 930kv motors back in and flew it today with 9x5x3 props (vs the 8" 2-blade ones). I'll have to look at my data recorder to see what they were doing in flight. They didn't feel to bad, but needed a little over 1/2 throttle to hover. Looks like it's time for more motor/prop experimentation. I wonder how the 750s would be with 10" 3-blades...
jpsabo is offline Find More Posts by jpsabo
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:42 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
My 1000mw video TX just arrived, and it's HUGE. It doesn't fit in the tail, and weighs about 130gs. I've removed the case, and it fits now (and is 60g less weight), but how important is the case for heat dissipation since it's obviously acting as a heat sink? The bottom of the board has a metal heatsink attached to it. I was thinking of flipping it upside down, and if required, adding a small computer heat sink directly on that spot since that was the only part even touching the case.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:59 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsabo View Post
I 've had really good luck with the GemFan carbon-filled 11x4.7's with 4S and Avroto motors. 3S just didn't do it, and I even tried 900 Kv RCTiger motors as well. Maybe try the 750's again but with 10 and 11 inch props?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=570

-John-
Thanks. I think I got some 10" carbon filled Gemfans...I think. I might give them a try on the 750s. I do have 10" 3-bladers so I can try something in the 10" size with it.

I pulled down my in-flight data tonight. I'm averaging ~15A-18A (total) on the DJI 930kv motors with 9x5x3 props...so about <4.5A per motor. I added an LED driver to the frame. Now I need to add some LEDs so I can have blinking lights!!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:00 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,112 Posts
Quote:
My 1000mw video TX just arrived, and it's HUGE. It doesn't fit in the tail, and weighs about 130gs. I've removed the case, and it fits now (and is 60g less weight), but how important is the case for heat dissipation since it's obviously acting as a heat sink? The bottom of the board has a metal heatsink attached to it. I was thinking of flipping it upside down, and if required, adding a small computer heat sink directly on that spot since that was the only part even touching the case.

Thoughts?
You'd be best to have it mounted so it gets plenty of air to dissipate the heat. I use a 300mW VTx on my frame mounted up front, just behind the GoPro. You really don't need that much power for a quad...they can't fly that far before they run out of battery.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:00 PM
A Snickering Hound
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jan 2012
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagebuff View Post
I've got my HT-FPV maidened today.. and WOW! What an absolute thrill when my HT-FPV / NAZA combo leapt into the air with perfect stability the very first time! Truly fantastic and a leap ahead of my old multiwii tricopter. The DT-750's are running great on 4S fully loaded with gopro.

The ONLY problem I have is that two of the arms are still uneven / won't lay flat on a table. I've tried the recommendations here regarding tightening of screws at different points etc but I get the exact same results no matter how I tighten the screws. Unfortunately it appears to be causing the two motors on those arms to get quite a bit hotter than the other two.

Any ideas?

Chris
Similar issue here too. No matter what I've tried I get that same "seesaw" effect which, in my experimentation, causes the motors on the affected arms to run hotter.

I'm just not totally comfortable flying this frame until I can get this figured out.
Muddie is offline Find More Posts by Muddie
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddie View Post
Similar issue here too. No matter what I've tried I get that same "seesaw" effect which, in my experimentation, causes the motors on the affected arms to run hotter.

I'm just not totally comfortable flying this frame until I can get this figured out.
I'm stil not sure how I did it but here's when my see saw went away:

I had 3 arms tightened and had left the left rear arm loose but rotated on its side within the frame. I then twisted it into place with the deck screws fairly tight. Once it snapped into place my seesaw was gone. It was strange.