HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:18 PM
United States, OR, Keizer
Joined Jul 2012
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Furikake View Post
I'll play with some low level flight to see if it may be a motor issue. Thanks!
Flew it for 10 minutes straight with no issues. Left it in GPS mode and let it hover in pretty strong winds.

Oh well. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep working through it and see if it crops up again.
Banana Furikake is online now Find More Posts by Banana Furikake
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:11 AM
Anchorage, AK
Joined Dec 2002
280 Posts
Pull up on the motors and make sure that the little C-clip is on the bottom. My first guess would be a motor problem. I think Tom has it right. One motor isn't able to spin any faster for some reason and the other three are holding their RPM to compensate. I'm going to guess that it's your front, left motor. I suppose it could be an ESC issue of some sort but I'm guessing it's your motor.
KC10Chief is offline Find More Posts by KC10Chief
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:23 AM
United States, OR, Keizer
Joined Jul 2012
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
Pull up on the motors and make sure that the little C-clip is on the bottom. My first guess would be a motor problem. I think Tom has it right. One motor isn't able to spin any faster for some reason and the other three are holding their RPM to compensate. I'm going to guess that it's your front, left motor. I suppose it could be an ESC issue of some sort but I'm guessing it's your motor.
got it. will try tonight. thank you!

Banana Furikake is online now Find More Posts by Banana Furikake
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:29 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
Good point. Also make sure there IS some play in the motor bell. It should pull up a little. If it's to tight it will bind as things heat up and expand.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:58 AM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,943 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys- need some help. I took my HT-FPV out today and the thing cratered. I had transferred everything from my Witespy and put it in the HT-FPV. Unit had 980kv motors and upgraded ESC's- running 9x4.7s. (Also has the DJI Naza with GPS). The only thing I changed was to change to a 5000mah 3S battery (from 2200 3S). The battery is connected by a bullet connector to a XT-60 via an adapter. COG was in the right place, all props balanced, GPS calibrated and flashing green. I had the unit in ATTI mode and was pretty high (I had done some lower level testing and it was running aok). I reached a certain altitude and it wouldn't go any higher- I then maxed the stick- and it sat and wouldn't climb. Suddenly the quad lurched to the side and went down. I was hoping someone might be able to tell what's up by the engine noise on the video.

I also checked the battery when I got home and it had plenty of power.

http://vimeo.com/46718006

Thanks in advance!
Ok I have another question: Which receiver are you using, and does it have a satellite? What are the failsafe stick positions programmed to?
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:11 PM
United States, FL, Miami-Dade
Joined Jan 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfreak View Post
I have a few questions...

I just received my FPV air frame and I plan on using my electronics out my Whitespy 450. Am I going to be under powered? I plan on just using my goprpo for right now. I am waiting on the update on the fpv back pack to stream live.

Another question is why is everyone using both a gopro as well as a separate fpv cam? Does the gopro not record when using the video out on it? I suppose I could look into it myself as I have one. I was just looking for a quick answer.

Finally I am using the quadrino board does anyone have a good pic of it mounted on this air frame. I went through quite a few pages and did not see one.

Jamee
In my opinion you won't be underpowered but your flight time will be less, regarding update of Gopro wifi bacpac, I have been waiting for the release and just gave up, they promised things that are not true, and you will not be fpving through a wifi stream as they led us to believe, the remote will work, the wifi streaming is only for transfering video while you have wifi but not live stream, it is way to fat and heavy for fpv(wifi bacpac) invest in a transmitter..regarding, I use it for fpv but you must remember to charge it, the camera use the power from you batteries so you don't have to worry about, did I charge my camera? Regarding quadrino, I would say get a franken quad case for it if quadrino works for you to protect it and mount it easier, but I would go with the naza controller especially if your goal is fpv
Estuardon is offline Find More Posts by Estuardon
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:27 PM
United States, FL, Miami-Dade
Joined Jan 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys- need some help. I took my HT-FPV out today and the thing cratered. I had transferred everything from my Witespy and put it in the HT-FPV. Unit had 980kv motors and upgraded ESC's- running 9x4.7s. (Also has the DJI Naza with GPS). The only thing I changed was to change to a 5000mah 3S battery (from 2200 3S). The battery is connected by a bullet connector to a XT-60 via an adapter. COG was in the right place, all props balanced, GPS calibrated and flashing green. I had the unit in ATTI mode and was pretty high (I had done some lower level testing and it was running aok). I reached a certain altitude and it wouldn't go any higher- I then maxed the stick- and it sat and wouldn't climb. Suddenly the quad lurched to the side and went down. I was hoping someone might be able to tell what's up by the engine noise on the video.

Thanks in advance!
Definitely not the battery! As you can hear the motors still going while your banking left during the descent, i am assuming that it has to do with the transmitter/receiver, which one are you using? It appeared that your receiver was accepting commands and then it stopped receiving command until you were llike 20 ft above ground when it received your transmitter input command and pulled right. My best guess is that your transmitter/receive jumped, glitched, maybe due how hot it was,or some kind of interferrence, looks like a hot day. Chalk it up as undetermined pending further incidence..lol if it happens again the you should invest In a data logger. Personally I'm starting to think of having my wife film my quad as I fly to get a different point of view, since sooner or later a crash will happen. You never know maybe a bird dinged it
Estuardon is offline Find More Posts by Estuardon
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:42 PM
United States, PA, Bethlehem
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estuardon View Post
In my opinion you won't be underpowered but your flight time will be less, regarding update of Gopro wifi bacpac, I have been waiting for the release and just gave up, they promised things that are not true, and you will not be fpving through a wifi stream as they led us to believe, the remote will work, the wifi streaming is only for transfering video while you have wifi but not live stream, it is way to fat and heavy for fpv(wifi bacpac) invest in a transmitter..regarding, I use it for fpv but you must remember to charge it, the camera use the power from you batteries so you don't have to worry about, did I charge my camera? Regarding quadrino, I would say get a franken quad case for it if quadrino works for you to protect it and mount it easier, but I would go with the naza controller especially if your goal is fpv
Not to mention - the best I've seen from a wifi backpack is .2 miles (1k feet or so). Not sure if that's what you're looking to fly but it's rather close in terms of range.
robstach is offline Find More Posts by robstach
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Jul 2012
23 Posts
if anyone is selling their ht-fpv pm me! looking to get one
arctyler is offline Find More Posts by arctyler
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
It's Alive!

Well, I received my new motors and props today. Just in time for my weekend exodus for vacation!

Installed T-Motor MT2208-18 11Kv motors and Gemfan 10" props. What a difference!!!!

My HT-FPV wants to fly now! It's no "rocket" on the verticals but it lifts off at the right level of power, holds wicked steady with the Naza, and was a true joy to see flying the way it was meant to be.

Props still need to be balanced but I couldn't resist running a pack through it just to see how she would perform. Life is good and vacation will be even better now that my FPV rig is up and running!

I need to play with gains a bit as a quick yaw will induce some wobble but it's not a concern.

Anyway - if you're thinking about the t-motors I say go for it, they're really nice. I'm not sure I was in love with the Graup E-Props but they sit on my F450 now and I do seem to get longer flight times... I think I'm sticking with Gemfan.

Anyway - that's my update. Finally where I wanted it!
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Update

Got another pack in .. motors were pretty hot after landing. Need to look into this. ESCs are cool to the touch , so that's good at least. Maybe I need 8 or 9 inch props? Thoughts?

Also - not sure if anything has changed since the seesaw fix with the frame or I haven't balanced the props well enough but I get some pretty annoying vibe via the gopro.

Back to tweaking but that's part of the hobby ......
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:45 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,341 Posts
I'd go with the 8" or 9" props on those motors, they are fairly small and higher kv for 10"
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
I'd go with the 8" or 9" props on those motors, they are fairly small and higher kv for 10"
Yep - kind of what I was expecting. Needed someone to kick me in the right direction ... thanks! Appreciate your input!
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Vibration Update

Switched back to the E-Props and all (and I mean all) vibration is gone.

I balanced the Gems pretty well but I'm not confident in their prop adapter. I'm thinking that it's not exactly doing the job. The props needed quite a bit of help to get into balance.

Video to follow once I get this pack charged
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Aug 2004
987 Posts
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Judging from the audible increase in rpm followed by what looked to be the right front motor power dropping out could it possibly be?
1. The prop adapter came loose (if it's a the collet style).
2. Motor shaft may have come loose inside the endbell housing.

Let us know what you find.

shawn
sbmon is offline Find More Posts by sbmon