HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:43 PM
United States, PA, Bethlehem
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
I too had a motor that was acting a little twitchy. Had the dji escs installed.

You have probably noticed that they are a very tight fit. When I looked at the esc of the twitchy motor it was really wedged in there and probably had some flex to it. Once I got it to where it wasn't wedged things were good again.

Im hoping to be back in action by Thursday.
robstach is offline Find More Posts by robstach
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:27 PM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robstach View Post
I too had a motor that was acting a little twitchy. Had the dji escs installed.

You have probably noticed that they are a very tight fit. When I looked at the esc of the twitchy motor it was really wedged in there and probably had some flex to it. Once I got it to where it wasn't wedged things were good again.

Im hoping to be back in action by Thursday.
Hmm, my ESCs are in the legs and seem loose enough.

My motor specs are:

KV 900
Configuration 12N14P
Stator Diameter 22mm
Stator Length 16m
Shaft Diameter 3mm

I am a little nervous about trying anything other than medium timing, but I guess I could try high. Don't want to burn anything up. Anyone have an opinion?
oddcopter is offline Find More Posts by oddcopter
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:34 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
I dont think you will burn er up, just come down after a minute and check the temps of each motor and esc, itll make some noises when you hammer it if it doesnt like the timing too
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:18 AM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
Tom,

I'm new to this thread, but I thought I saw you post something a couple weeks ago about pitch and roll gains should be different on the naza for this frame, or something like that, but I can't find it now. Not even sure if it was this thread or another.
It's not really that critical, in fact I set them the same. I mentioned it more for the quadrino not so much for the naza since most people are always flying the naza in autolevel mode.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:33 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2012
163 Posts
I'm a bit nervous to get the NTM 1200kV due to the timing issue I've read about - anyone have any thoughts?
Bhuwan is offline Find More Posts by Bhuwan
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:34 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post
It's not really that critical, in fact I set them the same. I mentioned it more for the quadrino not so much for the naza since most people are always flying the naza in autolevel mode.
Ah, ok. I have the quadrino also. couldn't remember where I saw it. Thanks
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:59 AM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Sep 2008
157 Posts
Couple Questions

I have a few questions...

I just received my FPV air frame and I plan on using my electronics out my Whitespy 450. I see a lot of people one here using electronics and batteries that are bigger than what comes one the 450. Am I going to be under powered? I plan on just using my goprpo for right now. I am waiting on the update on the fpv back pack to stream live.

Another question is why is everyone using both a gopro as well as a separate fpv cam? Does the gopro not record when using the video out on it? I suppose I could look into it myself as I have one. I was just looking for a quick answer.

Finally I am using the quadrino board does anyone have a good pic of it mounted on this air frame. I went through quite a few pages and did not see one.

Thanks ahead for the help!!

Jamee
huskerfreak is offline Find More Posts by huskerfreak
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:47 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
GoPro gives you a letterboxed, wide view as far as I know. The goggles we use have 4:3 LCDs. Also, I don't think any of the wide-angle HD cameras give you a picture as good as some of the regular FPV cameras out there. Some more expensive FPV cameras have a "wide dynamic range" feature which you can enable. I can fly my quad in any conditions, staring right at the sun doesn't blind the camera, you can see the sun, sky and ground clearly. So it's very very easy to fly with that.

My HoryzonHD on the other hand, is very hard to fly with because of how it adjusts the exposure. (Dark ground, clear sky. Or clear ground, white sky.) I assume that GoPro cams behave in a similar fashion.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:51 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
I use nothing but my gopro and have no issues. Works good for me!
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined May 2012
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I did some more flight data tests on my HT-FPV quad today. I tested the 920kv DJI motors on 4S with Gemfan 9x4.5 carbon filled props. I ended up with less mAh consume per minute than with the 8x4.5 props; however, to date the overall winner is still the 850kv motors with 9x5x3 props on 4S. My results are below. The very first reading was with 930kv motors on 4S w/o FPV equipment on a Tricopter. It, certainly won hands down for flight time and mAh consumed. Of course it's also lighter and only has three motors. I'm didn't have a GoPro mount for it so couldn't test it fully loaded...I'll do that next weekend. I will say that the tricopter seemed smoother in flight than any of my quads. I'm going to attribute this to the motors not having to change rpm to yaw the craft...so things stay on a much smoother key. I'll get a total weight and flying time test on it to really compare it against an FPV quad...that'll be later though. Anyway, here's the flight data:
Thanks for the info!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:58 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfreak View Post

I just received my FPV air frame and I plan on using my electronics out my Whitespy 450. I see a lot of people one here using electronics and batteries that are bigger than what comes one the 450. Am I going to be under powered? I plan on just using my goprpo for right now. I am waiting on the update on the fpv back pack to stream live.

Another question is why is everyone using both a gopro as well as a separate fpv cam? Does the gopro not record when using the video out on it? I suppose I could look into it myself as I have one. I was just looking for a quick answer.

Finally I am using the quadrino board does anyone have a good pic of it mounted on this air frame. I went through quite a few pages and did not see one.

Jamee
The new gopros will record while streaming video out... I use one on my fpv frame for my recording and fpv cam. Only problem with the older camera is that it is very bad in low light, ie around sunset... almost impossible to see. The new gopro hero 2 is better, and this issue has been fixed as far as I know.

I tried the Horizon cam, and while it was better in low light, in bright light it was very bad... vertical orange lines, etc, and the video did not look anywhere near as good as the gopro. Also, the mounting was really awkward.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:18 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I think the video quality is comparable, with a bit of tweaking in post it looks almost identical. And on a good day, sunshine, no clouds, sun high in the sky, it works very well for FPV. But if it's cloudy it's almost useless. And yes, it is awkward to mount on things and if you don't hold it down as hard as possible you will get jello. While with the GoPro I just put it on the anti-vibration tape, hold it down with a battery strap and voila, almost perfect video with zero effort.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:22 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Sep 2008
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfreak View Post

Jamee
Thanks for the gopro info. Can anyone help me on if I would be under powered using the motors and esc off of the Witespy 450??
huskerfreak is offline Find More Posts by huskerfreak
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:27 PM
United States, OR, Keizer
Joined Jul 2012
453 Posts
Hey guys- need some help. I took my HT-FPV out today and the thing cratered. I had transferred everything from my Witespy and put it in the HT-FPV. Unit had 980kv motors and upgraded ESC's- running 9x4.7s. (Also has the DJI Naza with GPS). The only thing I changed was to change to a 5000mah 3S battery (from 2200 3S). The battery is connected by a bullet connector to a XT-60 via an adapter. COG was in the right place, all props balanced, GPS calibrated and flashing green. I had the unit in ATTI mode and was pretty high (I had done some lower level testing and it was running aok). I reached a certain altitude and it wouldn't go any higher- I then maxed the stick- and it sat and wouldn't climb. Suddenly the quad lurched to the side and went down. I was hoping someone might be able to tell what's up by the engine noise on the video.

I also checked the battery when I got home and it had plenty of power.

Crash (0 min 43 sec)

Thanks in advance!
Banana Furikake is offline Find More Posts by Banana Furikake
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined May 2012
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Furikake View Post
Hey guys- need some help. I took my HT-FPV out today and the thing cratered. I had transferred everything from my Witespy and put it in the HT-FPV. Unit had 980kv motors and upgraded ESC's- running 9x4.7s. (Also has the DJI Naza with GPS). The only thing I changed was to change to a 5000mah 3S battery (from 2200 3S). The battery is connected by a bullet connector to a XT-60 via an adapter. COG was in the right place, all props balanced, GPS calibrated and flashing green. I had the unit in ATTI mode and was pretty high (I had done some lower level testing and it was running aok). I reached a certain altitude and it wouldn't go any higher- I then maxed the stick- and it sat and wouldn't climb. Suddenly the quad lurched to the side and went down. I was hoping someone might be able to tell what's up by the engine noise on the video.

I also checked the battery when I got home and it had plenty of power.

http://vimeo.com/46718006

Thanks in advance!
What a crash.