HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:11 PM
United States, PA, Bethlehem
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoadrian View Post
Looks like a stick of C4
Maybe it will be if that thing ever decodes to puff up? Looks cool though.

Hmmm... Wonder if I need camo tape now!
robstach is offline Find More Posts by robstach
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:08 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2011
96 Posts
The power distribution board on my HTFPV just shorted

I plugged my battery in for the first time and I see a spark fly out from the frame and I smell something burning. Freaked, quickly unplugged the battery, and took the frame apart to expose the power distro board and it looks like it shorted in the connection between the positive battery wire and the board. The board seems to be visibly singed there. What're the odds that the rest of the components are toast?
Casey_S is offline Find More Posts by Casey_S
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:06 AM
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jan 2009
179 Posts
oops..wrong thread, sorry
tamron is offline Find More Posts by tamron
Last edited by tamron; Jul 27, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:31 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_S View Post
The power distribution board on my HTFPV just shorted

I plugged my battery in for the first time and I see a spark fly out from the frame and I smell something burning. Freaked, quickly unplugged the battery, and took the frame apart to expose the power distro board and it looks like it shorted in the connection between the positive battery wire and the board. The board seems to be visibly singed there. What're the odds that the rest of the components are toast?
Electricty follows the least path of resistance. The majority of your juice was flowing through the short, not the peripheral electronics. Shorts are hard on batteries...even if for just a split second. Everything else that isn't directly between the battery and power distribution board should be fine.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined Jul 2012
27 Posts
i have this frame and it is flying flawlessly because of the 2 alu bars that i had tie wrapped to the frame.

if i remove this 2 alu bars, the quad is yawing randomly to the right or to the left and the whole frame is vibrating.

i don't know if i did something wrong...

what do you think?
Quadrinus is offline Find More Posts by Quadrinus
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:41 AM
USA, TX, The Colony
Joined Dec 2005
762 Posts
The HT FPV frame is not what you have pictured. Yours looks like the VC-450 frame. On my VC-450, I have never had a vibration issue or any other odd flying characteristic. The VC-450 is like one of the best, most stable frames out there.

Make sure all your bolts are tight and that you don't have any hairline cracks somewhere.
cquian is online now Find More Posts by cquian
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:14 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,441 Posts
just purchased my FPV gear this morning...will post pics of ht-fpv when all is set up...
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Mar 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Electricty follows the least path of resistance. The majority of your juice was flowing through the short, not the peripheral electronics. Shorts are hard on batteries...even if for just a split second. Everything else that isn't directly between the battery and power distribution board should be fine.
Good to know. Battery's fine, tested it. Knowing how volatile lipos are though I was afraid I'd have an explosive situation on my hands.

Took another look at the board in the daylight. It looks like the copper connection to the positive battery wire and the rest of the board "popped". Is this something that I can fix with a bit of solder?

Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:37 PM
Canada, ON, St. Catharines
Joined Jul 2012
195 Posts
I would figure out why it happened in the first place. It would take a lot of current to do this. Something shorted and the copper acted like a fuse.
Keddy is offline Find More Posts by Keddy
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Jul 2012
195 Posts
Also, those battery lead solders look poor, as well as the one at the bottom right.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Mar 2011
96 Posts
My guess would be a poor solder between the XT60 plug and positive wire. I'm going to open the patient up for exploratory surgery, but before I scrub in, is that an issue I can fix by soldering the popped connection back together or would it require a replacement distro board?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Jul 2012
195 Posts
I wouldn't risk it. It's such a cheap part to replace..
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Mar 2011
96 Posts
Oh I ordered a replacement last night. I was just curious.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:14 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_S View Post
My guess would be a poor solder between the XT60 plug and positive wire. I'm going to open the patient up for exploratory surgery, but before I scrub in, is that an issue I can fix by soldering the popped connection back together or would it require a replacement distro board?
My guess would be you had a solder blob that shorted the positive and negative wire pads. As for repairs, unsolder the positive lead from the current pad and solder it to one of the empty + pads on the inner part of the board. If the original copper pad has lifted from the board I'd cut it out and remove it so it doesn't run the possibility of shorting against another negative pad. So is it fixable, yes, by relocating the wire to a different + pad.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Jul 2012
195 Posts
Also, something does quite look right here. Looks like solder went under the paint and got really close, this may have arced.