HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, PA, Bethlehem
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Fist View Post
No the one I ordered you need to cut. I've read people have cut them with a very thin soldering iron connection. I'll definetly be taking my time.
That's good. You'll get a much more secure fit. Cut it a tad smaller than the actual size of your subject and if that's the method you choose don't be breathing that stuff in!

There are also tons of DIY foam cutter plans out there. Many of which can be powered by just 2 D-cell batts. I have some spare cutting wire. I can send you one if it will help.
robstach is offline Find More Posts by robstach
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:10 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robstach View Post
That's good. You'll get a much more secure fit. Cut it a tad smaller than the actual size of your subject and if that's the method you choose don't be breathing that stuff in!

There are also tons of DIY foam cutter plans out there. Many of which can be powered by just 2 D-cell batts. I have some spare cutting wire. I can send you one if it will help.
I have a variable transformer on my bench, so a good power source is something I already have. I'd accept any help offered. I've never done this before, and obviously I'd like to get it right. What is cutting wire? How does it differ from say, a hanger?
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
I have a variable transformer on my bench, so a good power source is something I already have. I'd accept any help offered. I've never done this before, and obviously I'd like to get it right. What is cutting wire? How does it differ from say, a hanger?
Take a look at this .. it should give you an idea as to what I'm talking about:

http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/-K03P-...Table-Kit.html

I have that particular model but there are dozens of plans out there that you can get that will essentially give you the same thing.

The wire is more like a guitar string rather than a hangar. Thin and it will slice through the foam like a hot knife through butter!

I'll go take a look for that extra wire (in my basement somewhere!). I'll PM you when I find it - might not be until tomorrow night
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,670 Posts
GoPro HD HERO2

$235
w/ coupon
+ free shipping

http://dealnews.com/Go-Pro-HD-HERO2-...ng/595956.html
scrape is offline Find More Posts by scrape
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:55 PM
Passaic, New Jersey
Joined Mar 2010
160 Posts
starting to build my ht-fpv, i will be using the electronics off my f450 (dji 30amp esc, 920kv motors, naza, and gps), what would be the better combo 4s with 8'' prop or 3s with 10'' prop, im gonna have to buy new batteries so just want to know which way would be better to go with for longer flight times, also for those that have used this same setup how are you connecting the esc to motor because when i mount the distribution plate in the middle my motors and esc dont reach each other, thanks
ff954 is offline Find More Posts by ff954
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Found it Right where I thought I put it (for once!)

PM me where you'd like me to send it and I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow.

- Rob

Edit: Here's a pelican case I did a few years back and the foam is still holding strong! Yes, I'm legal so no need to ask! The "scroll saw" method is really the best way to go when cutting foam for your cases. It gives you a nice platform to work on and you can get some really intricate cuts.

In it's simplest form it's just a hunk of wood with a hole in it, an arm, and a wire hooked up with a spring for tension - easy as pie to make and since you have a transformer already you are 95% of the way there.

Last edited by robstach; Jul 19, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff954 View Post
when i mount the distribution plate in the middle my motors and esc dont reach each other, thanks
I had the same problem. The ESC wires are short on the DJI optos and they don't really fit inside the arms well at all!

My "solution" was to make little pigtails that I soldered a female deans connector to. I soldered these to the power distribution board. Then I soldered the male deans to the ESC. Sort of a modular system now....

The goal was to make it more portable and if I decide to get a case for it the arms can be separated from the body with ease. Otherwise they're at the mercy of the length of whatever wire length you go with.

Not sure if this is the best method or if it will cause issues (doubt it) but I'll know next week when she's finally airborne.

Otherwise - I'd say get some wire and extend the ESC leads.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:22 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Quote:
Found it Right where I thought I put it (for once!)

PM me where you'd like me to send it and I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow.

- Rob

Edit: Here's a pelican case I did a few years back and the foam is still holding strong! Yes, I'm legal so no need to ask! The "scroll saw" method is really the best way to go when cutting foam for your cases. It gives you a nice platform to work on and you can get some really intricate cuts.

In it's simplest form it's just a hunk of wood with a hole in it, an arm, and a wire hooked up with a spring for tension - easy as pie to make and since you have a transformer already you are 95% of the way there.

I sent you a PM. Thanks a ton.

What gun is that? Looks a lot like my paintball gun.
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:23 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2012
163 Posts
Never mind
Bhuwan is offline Find More Posts by Bhuwan
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
I sent you a PM. Thanks a ton.

What gun is that? Looks a lot like my paintball gun.
It's called a "Max-11". Essentially a 9mm sub-machine gun but slowed down so that it's not a 1600rpm bullet hose. Now it's only 750 rpm

Another one of my expensive hobbies.

I played paintball for many years when I was still able to run without falling over!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:27 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff954 View Post
starting to build my ht-fpv, i will be using the electronics off my f450 (dji 30amp esc, 920kv motors, naza, and gps), what would be the better combo 4s with 8'' prop or 3s with 10'' prop, im gonna have to buy new batteries so just want to know which way would be better to go with for longer flight times, also for those that have used this same setup how are you connecting the esc to motor because when i mount the distribution plate in the middle my motors and esc dont reach each other, thanks
I'm using the DJI motors on 4S with the DJI 8x4.5 props...works fine. With a 4S 2650 and 3000mAh packs I normally get 8 minutes with some to spare. I'm thinking of going to a 4S 4000mAh pack for ~10 minute flights.

I built my own power distribution hub and used 2mm bullet connectors to attach the ESCs to the distro board. When I travel I only need to remove the arms, disconnect the bullet connectors and done...no soldering, no messing, just plug and unplug. It worked so well I did the same thing with my DJI 550 frame.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:55 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,943 Posts
Quote:
It's called a "Max-11". Essentially a 9mm sub-machine gun but slowed down so that it's not a 1600rpm bullet hose. Now it's only 750 rpm

Another one of my expensive hobbies.

I played paintball for many years when I was still able to run without falling over!
Nice, funny you posted a Mac, I just picked up a semi M11 today.. it's just for messing around but it'll be fun to bump since I am not rich enough to get something with a tax stamp. Expensive is an understatement when you get into class 3 stuff, although I have seen some SMGs as low as 3K-4K.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post
Nice, funny you posted a Mac, I just picked up a semi M11 today.. it's just for messing around but it'll be fun to bump since I am not rich enough to get something with a tax stamp. Expensive is an understatement when you get into class 3 stuff, although I have seen some SMGs as low as 3K-4K.
Yep - I'm a "stamp collector". Congrats on your new piece! You can find an FA M-11 for 3k.

I get some great footage from the quad at the range though although it can be a little dicey at times That's one of the reasons I purchased the camo version!

Anyway - back to Hoverthings! Sorry for the temporary derailment everyone!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:54 PM
Australia, VIC, Mordialloc
Joined Aug 2009
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhuwan View Post
THANKS! What electronics do you have hooked up? I have the HP-FPV frame on the way and now need to think about power motor props, etc.
i put everything im using in this post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=515
ScoRpiUs2009 is offline Find More Posts by ScoRpiUs2009
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:58 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2012
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoRpiUs2009 View Post
i put everything im using in this post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=515
Thanks