HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:49 AM
Australia, VIC, Mordialloc
Joined Aug 2009
924 Posts
Quad Flips LOS

so i got my quad flying well, only LOS so far, only just installed my FPV stuff onto the quad and havent had a chance yet to fly cause its been pretty windy.
Flying with the Quadrino Board mainly in Acro mode

https://vimeo.com/45809579
ScoRpiUs2009 is offline Find More Posts by ScoRpiUs2009
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:48 AM
Australia, NSW, East Maitland
Joined Mar 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Fist View Post
I really hope you don't have to mow all that grass.
No, me too! Public equine park, its pretty great. Some bogan took their 4wd in there after the rain last week and cut some pretty ugly tyre tracks all over it though, council will be pretty pissed.
Jef79m is offline Find More Posts by Jef79m
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:51 AM
Australia, NSW, East Maitland
Joined Mar 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingRookie View Post
Your skills are just fine .
Thanks! I was messing my pants during the rolls, last time I got inverted it cost me an arm, a baseplate, and a flight controller.

PS, thanks to Tom and Hoverthings for helping me out with the spares. You rock!
Jef79m is offline Find More Posts by Jef79m
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:47 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
83 Posts
i added some landing gear to mine...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11713
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11714

cheap and works well.

Im still using 1000kv and 10" props, i tried the NTM1200kv and 8" and it worked well but i couldn't get the gain setting as dialed in as on my first setup so i went back to 10". I will have to try that setup again soon.
Some videos to come soon!
Judar is offline Find More Posts by Judar
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:12 PM
32 ft/sec^2 sucks
Joined Nov 2006
162 Posts
Hey ScoRpiUs, are you using the purple APM2 or the older red board? If using the APM2 would you mind sharing your settings. I have an APM2 and a NAZA and can't decide on which one to use for my PFV frame.
yoadrian is offline Find More Posts by yoadrian
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:20 PM
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
Ok don't shoot me for saying this, but I seem to be one of the only people really unhappy with the way this frame flys.

I have my frame completely built, flying and hovering relatively stable. Don't get me wrong, it flies alright, hovers fine etc. Just not great in comparison to the litany of other frames I've tried.

There are numerous things which i don't like:

1. Lack of symmetry in the arms; it changes the way the quad flies. it's just not quite as 'locked in' as frames with symmetrical arm distance. Also get random changes in yaw, and elevator seems to be more sensitive than aileron due to the arm spacing.

2. Specific COG: the COG on this frame is just in front of the rear arms. If your battery is slightly too far back, or too far forward then you are not on the COG. It seems to be too sensitive in getting the COG exactly right. Plus there is not enough room for larger batteries to slide in between the slot on the top protection plate. It seems to only work fine if you use it in the standard config; i.e. go pro at front, 3000-3400mah battery on back. If you want to mount your battery on the top plate, or add your go pro protection case the COG is thrown way off again.

3. Short flight times: people (including me) are getting around 5-8mins flight on these frames. I want 10min plus. 5 mins flight is not goinhg to get you far seeing as you want to leave enough to get back!

4. On my F450 I had everything setup and flying awesome on a relatively crap frame. the only issue I had was the props in the go pro view. I would get 12minute flights, with NTM35-36 960kv motors, 11x5 props and 5000mah 3s battery. Plenty of power, nice and manouverable although it was no acro quad.

I'm going to mount the tppacks go pro isolator on the f450 frame and see if that helps to get rid of the props in view. Alternatively I will have a look at the QAV500, however I'm not too keen on their aluminium arms.

Either way, I may have my HTFPV frame for sale soon, so anyone interested can pm me to get in early!
slidins15 is offline Find More Posts by slidins15
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:50 PM
United States, PA, Bethlehem
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Well that's a bit discouraging to hear as Im just getting my frame together. Waiting on props ...

Maybe it takes some getting used to?

FYI: the tpp isolator works like a champ on my F450. You will like it but it adds some weight.....
robstach is offline Find More Posts by robstach
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:03 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean. I have 980kv motors and a 5000mAH 3S battery on mine. The top plate is tight, but it holds the battery in place extremely well. I only have a single velcro strap on as added security.

I don't think the COG needs to be where it says in the manual, that's just a guide.
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Joined Feb 2011
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoRpiUs2009 View Post
so i got my quad flying well, only LOS so far, only just installed my FPV stuff onto the quad and havent had a chance yet to fly cause its been pretty windy.
Flying with the Quadrino Board mainly in Acro mode

https://vimeo.com/45809579
man, you have some SKILLLZZZ in LOS. how did you even see it that high up?!
BayAreaCrasher is offline Find More Posts by BayAreaCrasher
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robstach View Post
Well that's a bit discouraging to hear as Im just getting my frame together. Waiting on props ...

Maybe it takes some getting used to?

FYI: the tpp isolator works like a champ on my F450. You will like it but it adds some weight.....
There's no one perfect frame. Some will like a frame and others will hate the same frame. I'm flying a prototype HT-FPV frame and have been very satisfied with it. I haven't had balance issues, no more yaw waggle than any of my other frames, and smooth in all axis'. Watch Juz70's vids with the HT-FPV frame...tell me he's having problems with his...even does loops and rolls with it. I can say I'm totally happy with my HT-FPV frame. The only thing I think it smoother (that I've flown at least) is my tricopter. Tri's don't have to play with motor RPMs for yaw action, thus seem so much smoother in yaw than anything else. I'm thinking about trying a Y6 tricopter (normal tri setup, but with over/under motors). I'm thinking this for the smoothness of a tri, but the redundancy of a Y6.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:11 PM
Australia, VIC, Mordialloc
Joined Aug 2009
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoadrian View Post
Hey ScoRpiUs, are you using the purple APM2 or the older red board? If using the APM2 would you mind sharing your settings. I have an APM2 and a NAZA and can't decide on which one to use for my PFV frame.
hey, im using the Quadrino board, i dont have a screen shot of the GUI cause i fried the board connecting too much power to it, i rushed putting my FPV gear into my quad and i think i squashed some wired when putting it back together and that shorted the FC and instead of having 5V go into the board i had 12V going in and smoked the ATmega32 Chip

but i used these settings so far

Roll P=4.0, I=.025, D=30
Pitch P=4.0, I=.025, D=30
Yaw P=9.0, I=0.00, D=20
Alt P=1.1, I=.005, D=9
Level P=2.5, I=.020, D=100
ScoRpiUs2009 is offline Find More Posts by ScoRpiUs2009
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:15 PM
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. I have 980kv motors and a 5000mAH 3S battery on mine. The top plate is tight, but it holds the battery in place extremely well. I only have a single velcro strap on as added security.

I don't think the COG needs to be where it says in the manual, that's just a guide.
I've tried putting a 5000mah 3s battery in and it doesn't fit in the between the top plate. I have to stand it up if I want to place it htere.

If I have it so that the COG is in another position other than where it should be, my quad will drift heavily forward or backward. So i have to have it as close to the COG as possible. the weird thing with the way this frame is designed is a small change in the placement of your battery etc will have a drastic effect on the COG of the craft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
There's no one perfect frame. Some will like a frame and others will hate the same frame. I'm flying a prototype HT-FPV frame and have been very satisfied with it. I haven't had balance issues, no more yaw waggle than any of my other frames, and smooth in all axis'. Watch Juz70's vids with the HT-FPV frame...tell me he's having problems with his...even does loops and rolls with it. I can say I'm totally happy with my HT-FPV frame. The only thing I think it smoother (that I've flown at least) is my tricopter. Tri's don't have to play with motor RPMs for yaw action, thus seem so much smoother in yaw than anything else. I'm thinking about trying a Y6 tricopter (normal tri setup, but with over/under motors). I'm thinking this for the smoothness of a tri, but the redundancy of a Y6.
What you are saying there is all true; there is no perfect frame. However I feel all the other frames I've flown have performed better than this, even the F450 with the crappy plastic arms.

Does anyone have a setup which is able to get them 10+ minutre flight times? I had mine with the NTM2826 motors 3S with 9" props and I need a slight power increase and am only getting 5 min. Was thinking of changing motors to the Gaui 500x motors with 4s battery and 9" prop. Has anyone tried these motors with this frame?

I'm going to try and make some changes again tonight to see if they make a significant difference. If not I'll probably try out another frame
slidins15 is offline Find More Posts by slidins15
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:20 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
I usually get at least 10 minutes, if not more.

There is my 5000mAH battery in. Here is what I found works best. Remove the fasteners from the second row from the back. Loosen the back row so they are barely threaded. Put the battery in. Tighten the back row all the way. The plate will bend slightly, but it's not a problem, and the battery is pretty wedged in there (It's not going anywhere). CG should be in the right spot as well. To remove, loosen the screws about 4 turns, pull out.

The picture has the second row from the back connections there, but I found it's easier to manage the battery with them gone, and the battery adds support to the plate anyway.

Only down side is you need to have your screw driver handy, but swapping a battery takes a whole 30 seconds. The up side is the added security to the battery.
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:21 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidins15 View Post
What you are saying there is all true; there is no perfect frame. However I feel all the other frames I've flown have performed better than this, even the F450 with the crappy plastic arms.

Does anyone have a setup which is able to get them 10+ minutre flight times? I had mine with the NTM2826 motors 3S with 9" props and I need a slight power increase and am only getting 5 min. Was thinking of changing motors to the Gaui 500x motors with 4s battery and 9" prop. Has anyone tried these motors with this frame?

I'm going to try and make some changes again tonight to see if they make a significant difference. If not I'll probably try out another frame
The more stuff loaded on a frame the shorter the flight times will become. I'm getting about 8min on 930kv motors, 8" props, and a 4S 3000mAh pack. I could probably get ~10 if I stepped up to a 4000mAh pack. The larger pack would equal more weight, would equal more power to fly, would equate to not as long additional flying time. I did some motor/prop/battery comparisons and posted screen shots of my spreadsheet (earlier on this thread). I think my best mA/min rate was with 850kv motors and GWS 9x5x3 props.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:32 PM
United States, PA, Bethlehem
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
I usually get at least 10 minutes, if not more.

There is my 5000mAH battery in. Here is what I found works best. Remove the fasteners from the second row from the back. Loosen the back row so they are barely threaded. Put the battery in. Tighten the back row all the way. The plate will bend slightly, but it's not a problem, and the battery is pretty wedged in there (It's not going anywhere). CG should be in the right spot as well. To remove, loosen the screws about 4 turns, pull out.

The picture has the second row from the back connections there, but I found it's easier to manage the battery with them gone, and the battery adds support to the plate anyway.

Only down side is you need to have your screw driver handy, but swapping a battery takes a whole 30 seconds. The up side is the added security to the battery.
That thing is mean looking - wishing I bought black now

More pics if you get a chance!
robstach is offline Find More Posts by robstach