HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:47 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juz70 View Post
I have no OSD on this frame (yet) and land after about 5.5 minutes and pump back around 2000 - 2200mah. I am kind of guessing these figures as I am not that obsessed with flight times etc. With an OSD I just fly until my pack has given me 70 -80%. Without OSD, for safety, I fly for 5mins. There is always another lipo!
Thanks Juz. I guess my 8 minute flights aren't so bad then. My OSD warning goes off at ~2000mAh consumed on my 2650 packs. I also have a waring that goes off when at 14v (4S pack), I also have a LiPo alarm that starts beeping (loudly) at ~3.5v/cell. I want to fly longer, but just have to make sure I take enough LiPo's with me per flying session.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:53 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
I got my flight data recording working again. I was hoping my 4S, 920kv, and 8x4.5 props props would show some decent flying time. Nope...3rd best. My 850kv RCTimer motors on 4S with 9x5x3 props is the winner for best fly time per mAh consumed. I might have to go back and put the RCTimer motors back on.

On a side note, I'm going to put back together an FPV tricopter I have. I'm going to test it with 930kv motors on 4S with 9x4.7 C/F filled Gemfan props to see how it does. One nice thing about tri's is the yawing is smoother as you don't have to monkey with motor speeds to make it yaw.

I did get some video of today's flying in a couple of different spots. I'll have to edit and post later. Attached are my motor/battery/prop tests with my HT-FPV frame.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 04:19 PM
PastorBikerBrewerPilot
United States, NE, Central City
Joined Mar 2012
193 Posts
Drift

Got my answer on the drift after some more post-Easter reading:

http://wiki.openpilot.org/m/view-pag...ageId=26214478

Thanks also for the battery and flight time info Vantasstic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I think you'll pretty much always have some drift unless you've got GPS position hold...even then it'll drift around some.
The RevKev is offline Find More Posts by The RevKev
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:16 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Here's a short video of some flying with my HT-FPV frame from today. I think I surprised some folks at the ridge of a mountain (large, rocky hill) when I came flying up the side and crested the top. Of course I ended the day crashing into a cactus...while trying to fly between them...some 20' apart from each other. I've got to work on my aim a little more. Enjoy...
HoverThings FPV Quad w/Crash Ending (1 min 41 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:20 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2009
725 Posts
I would love to fly there with you Lee. Looks amazing. cool video fella. Keep 'em coming. I love FPV quad videos! Break anything??
juz70 is offline Find More Posts by juz70
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:00 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
True that. I thought I'd do this "properly" and put loctite on every screw but the ones for the top plate and protection plate. I think this was a mistake. If I break an arm I have to buy new spacers and screws, it's impossible to get these out now. Crap. Think I'll order a new set of screws right away since I already have a spare set of arms.
Nope, just heat them with a lighter or propane torch for a few seconds and then back out the screw.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:04 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,939 Posts
Lee, that's an awesome place for FPV!! Florida is so FLAT

You know, I used to like to see the motors and props in the video.. but lately I find it not as cool as I once thought. These HD videos with the new frame and no arms in view are just awesome. I think I have spoiled myself
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:10 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juz70 View Post
I would love to fly there with you Lee. Looks amazing. cool video fella. Keep 'em coming. I love FPV quad videos! Break anything??
Thanks Juz. No, nothing broken...just roughed up the props a little. Some fine sandpaper and balance verification was all that was needed. I'm glad I crashed at an easy spot to get to. Had I crashed on the rocky mountain...well, lets' just say I'd probably be waiting for Tom to list the HT-FPV frame on his website so I could get another.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:14 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post
Lee, that's an awesome place for FPV!! Florida is so FLAT

You know, I used to like to see the motors and props in the video.. but lately I find it not as cool as I once thought. These HD videos with the new frame and no arms in view are just awesome. I think I have spoiled myself
Thanks Tom. I originally wanted to fly through the gully at the beginning of the video. The fenced/barricaded it all the way around. There were plenty of old dirt roads, but no way to get to them anymore. Oh well. Florida may be flatter, but it's greener than the desert...plus if I had crashed on the mountain side I'd of been out everything. No way would I of been able to reach the pieces. I'll try to remember to in more 'retrievable' areas...just in case.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
147 Posts
Vantasstic, nice flying. Smooth pan. I'm just starting my Open Pilot FPV build. I'm following Juz hardware recommendation for motors etc. At least I'll know what the quad will be capable of! This is a great thread!
disneytoy is offline Find More Posts by disneytoy
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:32 AM
Spins With Gliders
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Aug 2005
1,822 Posts
Vic20, when will the HT-FPV units be on the site?
djensen is offline Find More Posts by djensen
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:39 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,713 Posts
Agreed! nice video Vantasstic, I can't believe you went up the mountain side. I panic when I fly somewhere that will prevent me from getting my quad. Even fences... hehe

Paul
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:57 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidaho View Post
Agreed! nice video Vantasstic, I can't believe you went up the mountain side. I panic when I fly somewhere that will prevent me from getting my quad. Even fences... hehe

Paul
Thanks. I think it was 'in the moment' that got me to do that. It was a little turbulent up there...which I didn't realize until I crested the peak (I edited out the twitchy, bouncy stuff). I actually tried circling the people a little then thought...if I crash (on my side of the slope_I don't think I'll be able to get to it. So I dove back down the side and decided to stay in a more retrievable area.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2012
216 Posts
oops
ddoltar is offline Find More Posts by ddoltar
Last edited by ddoltar; Jun 20, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:50 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoltar View Post
Under construction - build log

Frame: Flying Robot-550
Flight Controller: FF v1.3
Power Distribution: -
Batteries: -
ESC: 30a exceed proton
Motors:1000kv
Props:
Rx:1047
Lights: -
Camera: -
Video Tx: 5.8ghz fatshark
OSD: -

Hi, what your building could be called a hover thing but it can't be called a "Hoverthings' FPV frame" which is what this thread is about.
lostheli is offline Find More Posts by lostheli