HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:41 PM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,854 Posts
I plan to use a CC3D in a franken quad case on my Flip FPV. An alternative would be the Naze32 in a similar case. I also have the OpenPilot Revo on order and that could end up on there. None of my boards would end up on standoffs; just mounted foam tape.

The 1.25" spacers would be better to acommodate more options.

Tom, this is the the advantage of dealing to you. Amazing service and ability to accomodate special requests, the ability to offer options or to adjust designs quickly based on feedback. Simply fantastic!
martinic is offline Find More Posts by martinic
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:25 PM
LOAD "FLIP360FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochaboy View Post
Just to pile on - I took 2 - 3/4" spacers and gorilla glued them together so I had room to park my crius aio on the middle plate (skywalker ESC is in the bottom plate).

I couldn't 1.5" standoffs so I just made them - but if you had them as option that would have been great

I love my htfpv btw
Next time you order something remind me to throw in some grub screws and a handful of 3/4" spacers. These will give you 1.5"
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:27 PM
LOAD "FLIP360FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
All sorts of stand-offs here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#threaded-standoffs/=kk8ats . I'm not sure what type Tom is using...stainless, zinc, aluminum. The aluminum ones are in the 50 cent each range, the stainless and zinc a bit more than that. I'm sure his hardware is 4-40 size...at least all my other Hoverthings frames used 4-40 hardware so I'm not expecting different on the Flip FPV frame.
4-40 aluminum, 3/16" OD

Screws are 4-40 stainless button head, 3/16" length and 7/16" length for the FLIP

4-40 x 1/4" length for HT-FPV

The mcmaster ones will work they are just big and heavy... a few is fine, but a whole frame full is nuts!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:17 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,294 Posts
So can the flip hold all the usual fpv goodies?...from the talk it seems that it's a little smaller than the ht-fpv frame...I'm already running out of room on that...
Ooh...will the flip arms fit on the ht-fpv frame? Just curious...i will probably just get the whole thing anyways...i really like the layout
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:26 PM
LOAD "FLIP360FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,857 Posts
The HT_FPV arms will fit the flip center plates, but not the other way. I did this so the HT-FPV owners would have an option to use the center plates. Like I said I may drop this at some point but I could do it so I did it... just trying to keep options out there.

The FLIP FPV is kinda small, it was meant to be a sport FPV (translation: taking risks and crashing often), but I have a horizon camera, a 900mhz 800mw transmitter, naza, GPS, and a 4S lipo. It all fits no problem. I can get an OSD on there easily (not the big DJI one but a small more reasonable one). The new gopro's are smaller and lighter so that's what I designed it around.

I am using a distribution board, but with 1/4' standoffs and 3/16" screws. The standard power board kit ony my website won't work, it's too tall. I will probably change all of my power board kits from here out to be shorter so they will fit and eliminate confusion.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:50 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post
The HT_FPV arms will fit the flip center plates, but not the other way. I did this so the HT-FPV owners would have an option to use the center plates. Like I said I may drop this at some point but I could do it so I did it... just trying to keep options out there.

The FLIP FPV is kinda small, it was meant to be a sport FPV (translation: taking risks and crashing often), but I have a horizon camera, a 900mhz 800mw transmitter, naza, GPS, and a 4S lipo. It all fits no problem. I can get an OSD on there easily (not the big DJI one but a small more reasonable one). The new gopro's are smaller and lighter so that's what I designed it around.

I am using a distribution board, but with 1/4' standoffs and 3/16" screws. The standard power board kit ony my website won't work, it's too tall. I will probably change all of my power board kits from here out to be shorter so they will fit and eliminate confusion.
Ok..thank you!
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:54 PM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
So as you thrill seekers are moving on to CC3D's, I'm just getting to the point where I'm finally getting my Crius AIO/HT tuned out.

I spent 3 very cold sessions out today with Mission Planner and my rig to get those oscillations tuned out. I ran into one bad issue tuning RATE D and it cost me a prop - but the rig on balance is still good to go.

Don't expect any beautiful vistas or sunsets - my goal for this video was to tune out recovery oscillations from max stick deflection in acro mode and by the end - I think I got it.

I should also note that this was my 1st time with the goggles and I was shocked at how difficult it is judge climb rates (evidence by not so graceful landing at the end of the video).

Anyhoo - PID settings I ended up with are at the end of the video.
PID Tuning for Acro mode (3 min 20 sec)
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:45 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post
4-40 aluminum, 3/16" OD

Screws are 4-40 stainless button head, 3/16" length and 7/16" length for the FLIP

4-40 x 1/4" length for HT-FPV

The mcmaster ones will work they are just big and heavy... a few is fine, but a whole frame full is nuts!
Thanks Tom. I'm building an order list of hardware stuff from McMaster-Carr. I'll probably add some aluminum spacers to the order. First, though, I'll wait for the Flip FPV frame to arrive so I can look at it and see if/what 'spacer' changes I may do. Can't wait for this baby to arrive...
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:46 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Sydenham
Joined Jan 2012
6,340 Posts
I just bought the HT-FPV version and will post my setup and any video when it arrives
irun4fundotca is offline Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:52 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,930 Posts
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Last edited by flitelab; Jan 10, 2013 at 03:29 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Dec 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwkeeper View Post
Throw up a screenshot of your battery voltage monitor
Dont think I changed a thing...
JPV FPV is offline Find More Posts by JPV FPV
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:29 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,776 Posts
There's a HT Flip FPV thread started here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=flip+fpv
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:38 AM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPV FPV View Post
Dont think I changed a thing...
Yeah looks stock. How much flight time you getting on the 3300, are you flying 3000mah batteries at all, if so flight time on those?
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:39 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Sydenham
Joined Jan 2012
6,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
If you ever need any spare parts or another frame let me know as I usually have a few in stock here in Canada. I have 2 of the new flip fpv on the way, will do one as a build review then for resale as arf probably. www.flitelab.com
thanks i bookmarked it !!
you never know how fast ill need replacemnt parts lol
irun4fundotca is offline Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:58 AM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
I have a tuning question for you guys.

My setup looks like this
HT FPV
Crius AIO
NTM 2826 1200s spinning 8x4 cf props
5000mah zippy compact
MegapirateNG r247 build
Mission Planner

STAB
P 4
I 0
D 0

RATE
P .083
I .020
D .002

The bird is stable in the air but I'm seeing something really weird in forward flight. I expect that for Stabilize mode, but when I fly in ACRO mode and if I let go of the sticks (ail/ele) - it auto levels.

I come from a heli background so I'm expecting that if i pitch forward - it maintains that attitude (at least in acro mode).

Am I doing something wrong? Or is that the expected behavior for Acro mode?
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member