HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:57 AM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPV FPV View Post
Hi Guys. I wanted to say thank you and introduce myself to the FPV community. I've been following this thread and building my own HT-FPV for the last few months. I've been flying 3D planes for 10 years, but always wanted to do some aerial photography. I knew a plane or even a heli wasn't the best platform for what I wanted to capture...enter the FPV quad. I'm completely addicted and have been loving every minute.

Thought I'd post a few pictures of my setup. It has expanded quickly, but I'm happy with it for the type of flying I want to do. (near range, low altitude, through obstacles)

Here's the link to my YouTube channel which has a few flight videos with quad specs and details on my backpack ground station.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jpryor27...ow=grid&view=0

Again, big thanks to the community for helping me get off the ground.
Looks like a similar setup to mine. What are your gain settings, what props, and are you flying in ATTI, is the battery voltage turned off. Just curious how you have it setup.

Thanks.
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
Regarding the new Flip FPV frame: Until what prop size will the Gopro video be propfree?

And have you tested out the CC3D board in terms of tuning? Is it as hard as the HT-FPV was to tune it so it's locked in? Or is it way easier as the arms of the new flip FPV frame are of equal length?
Quadrophil is offline Find More Posts by Quadrophil
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:50 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Tom, I really love my original HT-FPV machine and it has a bunch of flights on it!! I am very excited about the new FPV machine with Flip arm!! I have one of your Flip machines and I beat the dalights out of that machine and I can tell you…..those arms are amazingly strong Great design work!!!
AlanFlorida is offline Find More Posts by AlanFlorida
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:33 PM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2010
732 Posts
trying some high speed dives
trying some high speed dives with the ht-fpv (2 min 17 sec)
yosemitez is offline Find More Posts by yosemitez
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:51 PM
Rc Fan From Belgium
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2011
381 Posts
Whooohooo my new Flip FPV black with orange arms frame has been shipped

Now its just waiting for atleast 3 weeks before it arrives here and goes trough customs for another additional 40 USD taxes and then i can enjoy my present that i bought myself for my x-mass

Grts Dave

Ps: Thx Tom for the efforts u made and the customer service ect ect ect ( to much to say it all but ur doing a fab job m8 )
Anda Inc. is offline Find More Posts by Anda Inc.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:58 PM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,885 Posts
I ordered a Flip FPV with orange arms (If I could have gotten one in all orange, I would have) from Hoverthings today too! I've been waiting for the next generation FPV frame from Tom and just saw it today!

One of our members has been flying the little brother Flip quad at our indoor meets and it is one tough little bird!

I feel really good about supporting Tom because he has consistently shown how he is committed to supporting the FPV community. He gets top marks for his wonderful designs, professionalism, quality and service.
martinic is offline Find More Posts by martinic
Last edited by martinic; Dec 11, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:07 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,604 Posts
Me too...I've got a black and orange Flip FPV frame heading my way. I lost count how many of Tom's frames I've had...actually, I could count them, but I'm to lazy to. Anyway, I really look forward to this frame. I can't wait to get it flying and posting videos...
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:46 PM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
514 Posts
My custom Flip is on it's way too, Tom sure has been busy!. I've been re-thinking the power plant though. I was going to go with the SunnySky 2212 980kv motors but I don't think they will be up to the job at 145w each. I just ordered some 3530 1400kv NTM motors from HK. I should get 250-300w with 9x4.5 three blade props on 3s with around 25-30a draw. The motor is rated at 560w but I think those specs are fudged, I may end up getting the 1100kv version too just to see which one works best. Thanks again Tom, You 'Da Man!
Gadget-Geek is offline Find More Posts by Gadget-Geek
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:58 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget-Geek View Post
My custom Flip is on it's way too, Tom sure has been busy!. I've been re-thinking the power plant though. I was going to go with the SunnySky 2212 980kv motors but I don't think they will be up to the job at 145w each. I just ordered some 3530 1400kv NTM motors from HK. I should get 250-300w with 9x4.5 three blade props on 3s with around 25-30a draw. The motor is rated at 560w but I think those specs are fudged, I may end up getting the 1100kv version too just to see which one works best. Thanks again Tom, You 'Da Man!
I was using 920kv motors on 4S with 8" props on my HT-FPV frame (over 1600g) and it flew just fine. From what I've been seeing, the SunnySky motors are pretty nice and run smoothly. I'd try 4S and 8" props with them. I'm planning either 750kv or 800kv motors on my Flip FPV on 4S. Why? 4S is more efficient than 3S and I have 4S packs on hand.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:26 PM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2010
732 Posts
pano from ht-fpv, west of yosemite looking at half dome and el capitan

yosemitez is offline Find More Posts by yosemitez
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, MA, Hadley
Joined Oct 2006
221 Posts
Just wanted to say Thank You to Tom and Becky !! I just received my fpv frame and assembled it, what a thing of beauty.What a joy to put together a product designed and manufactured right here in the USA ,everything went together flawlessly,they even include the allen driver tool as well. I also purchased a HT-450 out of the classifieds. What a fantastic business you two have going, and I wish you continued success in your future designs. I can't wait to finish the build on these, and many more !
nighthawk117 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk117
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:22 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemitez View Post
pano from ht-fpv, west of yosemite looking at half dome and el capitan

Thats pretty darn nice. Good job.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:27 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,943 Posts
Thanks. I really love how this frame feels in my hands, and how quiet it flies. I wanted something small (close to a 450 in size) and fast for basically a "Sport FPV". You know spirals, flying through trees etc.. without fear of breaking an arm or something. Not just slow level flying.

I hope you guys like it. Martinic, I did actually order some orange material for HT-FPV arms, so I could potentially cut you some orange center plates for your FLIP FPV.

BTW I just put a bunch of new colors up for those who like camo, etc.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:37 PM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,885 Posts
That would be really great if you could cut me a fully orange one Tom. I spent a month this summer looking for a black quad in a hayfield. If you can swing it, please do.

Really looking forward to the build and flying this baby!!
martinic is offline Find More Posts by martinic
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:19 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,604 Posts
Tom, If you haven't boxed my Flip FPV frame yet....I sent you an e-mail with a special request. No worries if you can't...just a request. Thanks.

I like the brighter colored frames too...for the same purpose as others have mentioned...the ability to help spot it should it go down and I have to go looking. I'm good with the black frame and black and orange arms though. And I fully agree with you on the 'sport FPV' frame idea. The frame I'm playing with now uses the DJI arms and I worry about going on vacation with it and breaking an arm, grounding me for the duration of the vacation. The 'nearly indestructable' Flip FPV frame should fit the bill great or fun flying without worry of breaking. COOL!!!!
RCG Plus Member