HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:49 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,341 Posts
Typically folks use zip ties for balancing the motor bells.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:05 AM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
514 Posts
Hmm, Learn something new everyday, I wouldn't have thought they would have enough zip to stay in place when the motor spins, Seems like they would slip.
Gadget-Geek is offline Find More Posts by Gadget-Geek
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:10 AM
Rc Fan From Belgium
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2011
381 Posts
I have ordered the new flip fpv frame also today
Looks awesome.....but i ordered the black version before i read here that there is also orange.
Sended email to change the order and hope they can still adjust my order to orange version

Grts Dave
Anda Inc. is offline Find More Posts by Anda Inc.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:16 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,341 Posts
Tom - got your email thanks, also sent you another reply regarding getting one of the new flip fpv frames. Pop me a Paypal invoice when you get a chance.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:25 AM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
514 Posts
I'm beginning to think that HT should have a "Build it how you want it" section and list each part and color choices available. It looks like this Flip FPV frame is really taking off!, No pun intended. These FPV trucks are just what the doctor ordered, I was getting tired of trying to cram all the gear into a frame that was barely intended to carry a battery (or two) big enough for FPV.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:38 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget-Geek View Post
I have to thank Tom for attending to my requests in such a timely manner. I have just ordered the Flip FPV from his store. Being different I thought I would see if I could get one with the natural greenish arms and cammo center plates. Tom said it wouldn't be a problem but it would take some extra time. This is what customer service is all about, Try explaining that to our overseas buddies and you would be lucky to get a response in a week!. Many thanks Tom, You have my recommendations!.

GG
Tom's ALWAYS been the best with his service and products. I first bought from him when he designed his upgraded frame to replace the Gaui X330 brittle stuff, then the X450, then a Hex 550, then....let's see...three custom frames he cut for me, then the HT-FPV frame, and now the Flip line. I don't know where he keeps dreaming this stuff up, but I'm glad he is. I can't wait to get the Flip FPV frame. I'm already envisioning folding arms, a camera tilt using a GoPro case on a tripod mount...or maybe a tilt using a flat mount. I've got some 750kv-1050kv motors for, possible, 4S power, etc. Yeah, I'm looking forward to this one and following videos...
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:42 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget-Geek View Post
Vantasstic, Is it me or do those motors in the pic you posted have zipties around them?, Would this be for balance or resonance?.
Yeah, looks like zip ties. It's not my picture, just one I pulled from another thread. I was just using to show how someone is using a flat plate arm (wood in the case of that picture) vs using the DJI arms that frame was designed for. I have one of those frames, but it's just so much bigger than I expected. The Flip FPV looks like it'll be a smaller package with plenty of room for all the FPV gear. Anyway, I digress, Yeah...I'm thinking the zip ties were used for balancing. I've yet to balance a motor yet and have been able to get jello free videos.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:21 PM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
514 Posts
I am going to use SunnySky 2212 980kv outrunners from HiModel (short shaft), 9X4.7 GF carbon/nylon props, F-20a's flashed with SimonK firmware. I was thinking of using a GoPro gimbal from GLB. I have found the SunnySky motors are of very high quality at a very low price, I have only found one other brand that had as nice of windings and it was three times the price. This motor ESC combo makes around 140-145w at 13a draw. The gimbal came with my locust FPV quad, It is pretty stout and they sell it seperately for $10 as seen in the pic. If you are new to GLB, I can personally say that I have not had any issues with them, Others have reported bad things but I must be lucky when it comes to them. I forgot to mention, RC Timer has the same motor at the same cost, Just a different color. Ooops, I almost forgot, EP Buddy sells the SunnySky motors as well theirs are green and EP Buddy is U.S. based, The only difference is that EP Buddy's motor has the shaft and uses a prop adapter.
Last edited by Gadget-Geek; Dec 09, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:22 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
437 Posts
I recently moved the NAZA to my HT-FPV, what gain settings are you guys using. I have the NTM 1200KV motors (28-26), gaui 8" props, Turnigy plush 30A esc, 3S 3.3 nanotach battery. Once I just start flying the NAZA starts blinking a red light really fast. Total weight with FPV setup is 1448g.

Full throttle in ATTI or GPS mode barely lifts it.

Any help would be great.
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:24 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwkeeper View Post
I recently moved the NAZA to my HT-FPV, what gain settings are you guys using. I have the NTM 1200KV motors (28-26), gaui 8" props, Turnigy plush 30A esc, 3S 3.3 nanotach battery. Once I just start flying the NAZA starts blinking a red light really fast. Total weight with FPV setup is 1448g.

Any help would be great.
You definitely need at least 9 in or bigger props if you are only running 3s...i think I'm running around 135 for basic and 85 for atti gains....runs like a dream
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:32 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:

Any help would be great.
I flew my HT-FPV frame with 920kv DJI motors, 8" props, on 4S with Manual gains of 175 and autolevel gains of 100. Mine flew fine like this and was over 1600g. Juz is/was using NTM 1200kv with 8" props on 3S and his flew great. Are you trying to fly/take off in Autolevel mode? If so, try in Manual mode and see if it makes a difference. Also, try turning off the Naza battery monitor to see how it does. I've noticed with the battery monitor on, in auto-level on, and a lower voltage battery the thing doesn't want to stay in the air. I learned to NOT fly in autolevel mode and switch over to manual mode when the battery is low. I've crashed once and almost a second time when I did this. Staying in Manual mode is my preference.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Dec 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
You definitely need at least 9 in or bigger props if you are only running 3s...i think I'm running around 135 for basic and 85 for atti gains....runs like a dream
so 10" Graupners work or should I go 4s with these motors props? 8" worked fine with my Openpilot CC
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Dec 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I flew my HT-FPV frame with 920kv DJI motors, 8" props, on 4S with Manual gains of 175 and autolevel gains of 100. Mine flew fine like this and was over 1600g. Juz is/was using NTM 1200kv with 8" props on 3S and his flew great. Are you trying to fly/take off in Autolevel mode? If so, try in Manual mode and see if it makes a difference. Also, try turning off the Naza battery monitor to see how it does. I've noticed with the battery monitor on, in auto-level on, and a lower voltage battery the thing doesn't want to stay in the air. I learned to NOT fly in autolevel mode and switch over to manual mode when the battery is low. I've crashed once and almost a second time when I did this. Staying in Manual mode is my preference.
Juz is using a CC controller or did he try this setup with a NAZA?
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:47 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Juz is using a CC controller or did he try this setup with a NAZA?
The controller really doesn't have much to do with the 'power'...save the Naza autolevel mode and low battery where it tries to autoland.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Dec 2012
26 Posts
New HT-FPV'er

Hi Guys. I wanted to say thank you and introduce myself to the FPV community. I've been following this thread and building my own HT-FPV for the last few months. I've been flying 3D planes for 10 years, but always wanted to do some aerial photography. I knew a plane or even a heli wasn't the best platform for what I wanted to capture...enter the FPV quad. I'm completely addicted and have been loving every minute.

Thought I'd post a few pictures of my setup. It has expanded quickly, but I'm happy with it for the type of flying I want to do. (near range, low altitude, through obstacles)

Here's the link to my YouTube channel which has a few flight videos with quad specs and details on my backpack ground station.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jpryor27...ow=grid&view=0

Again, big thanks to the community for helping me get off the ground.
JPV FPV is offline Find More Posts by JPV FPV