91 Posts
That's a good lookin frame!
theSouthGA is offline Find More Posts by theSouthGA
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:07 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,937 Posts
The FLIP arms come in Black, Clear green, Red, and Orange. I should have other colors soon... I can do them in nearly any color. Orange looks awesome.

The hole pattern will not work with DJI center plates, I just checked and it's not going to work. However, I don't mind cutting some which will work if someone (Lee) needs some.

The battery can be mounted on the top rack, and slid forward or back for balance, or if you need more travel to achieve balance, you can mount it under the frame and slide it to the front or rear, or all the way back to the rear camera tab (it also has battery strap slots in it) if you need to. If you plan to carry two cameras, you can center the battery. The arms will accept the larger pancake (FM4008) motors if you really want to swing 10" props and carry two cameras and a big battery. I have not tested these motors on it yet myself only because I don't own a set.

Landing gear is included to clear the battery and keep the motors out of the dirt.

Very large holes are cut under the motor mount area to allow air to flow through the arm into the motor. You can see the windings clearly through the arm. This has really helped keep motor temps down.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Last edited by vic20owner; Dec 07, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:16 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Tom,

I'd be mounting arm similar to the picture below. The frame is already drilled for the DJI arms. Your arms (same size and mount holes) as the DJI arms would be great...along with legs to lift the frame slightly off the ground. I'd be most interested in your arms based on price. I'm sure there'd be interest from others too for similar use too.

Back to your Flip FPV frame. What's the motor spacing...side-to-side, front-to-back, and across?
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:24 AM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Tom,

I'd be mounting arm similar to the picture below. The frame is already drilled for the DJI arms. Your arms (same size and mount holes) as the DJI arms would be great...along with legs to lift the frame slightly off the ground. I'd be most interested in your arms based on price. I'm sure there'd be interest from others too for similar use too.

Back to your Flip FPV frame. What's the motor spacing...side-to-side, front-to-back, and across?
It's 11" motor to motor on the side, and 14.75" motor to motor across the front (rectangular) or 18.25" diagonally. I started with a symmetrical frame and went more asymmetrical the more I tested. Performance was best with the shorter center plates. The long center plates were heavy, tended to twist and required way too much hardware.

It will accept a max of 10" props.

The sport flip frame is of course symmetrical, it's 15" motor to motor (diagonally).
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:16 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Thanks Tom...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:32 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Oct 2008
47 Posts
When will the black and orange Flip FPV frame be up on your website for sale?

And is there any videos of the new flip fpv frame yet?

Cheers
Auskenny is offline Find More Posts by Auskenny
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:45 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post
It's 11" motor to motor on the side, and 14.75" motor to motor across the front (rectangular) or 18.25" diagonally. I started with a symmetrical frame and went more asymmetrical the more I tested. Performance was best with the shorter center plates. The long center plates were heavy, tended to twist and required way too much hardware.

It will accept a max of 10" props.

The sport flip frame is of course symmetrical, it's 15" motor to motor (diagonally).
I measured out my current 'new' frame. It's ~16" square. I'm thinking your flat arms are probably shorter than the DJI arms if you're running 11" side-to-side. I think I'm probably bother you more by asking about modifying your arms. Perhaps I just need to buy the frame and give it a try. I've got all the electronics needed already. I think I'd like the Orange 'n Black arms too. Got these available for shipment???
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:09 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auskenny View Post
When will the black and orange Flip FPV frame be up on your website for sale?

And is there any videos of the new flip fpv frame yet?

Cheers
We have them now if you just send me an email (sales AT hover things.com).. I just have not had time to get pictures of the FPV frame with orange arms on it yet. Were you thinking of two orange or all 4 orange?
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:15 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Quote:
We have them now if you just send me an email (sales AT hover things.com).. I just have not had time to get pictures of the FPV frame with orange arms on it yet. Were you thinking of two orange or all 4 orange?
Tom, sent you an e-mail on the Flip FPV frame. I'd like two orange and two black arms. Do I need to place my order via your web site or just send you PP payment? Let me know. I'm eager to give this a try.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:15 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I measured out my current 'new' frame. It's ~16" square. I'm thinking your flat arms are probably shorter than the DJI arms if you're running 11" side-to-side. I think I'm probably bother you more by asking about modifying your arms. Perhaps I just need to buy the frame and give it a try. I've got all the electronics needed already. I think I'd like the Orange 'n Black arms too. Got these available for shipment???
Yeah this one was meant to be small and sporty. I do have orange and black, but email me at "sales@" before you order one.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:17 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Quote:
Yeah this one was meant to be small and sporty. I do have orange and black, but email me at "sales@" before you order one.
E-mail sent. Thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:51 PM
United States, CT
Joined Oct 2012
577 Posts
OMG OMG OMG I'm out of breath. I just got out of the woods. Was about a half mile in.

So I'm trying to get my HT-FPV setup hooked up with the OSD Camera, transmitter, current sensor and OSD GPS. My HT-FPV has finally been locked in on its settings and flying great with its Naza and GPS. However when I tried to fly with the camera osd and such onboard, it is extremely twitchy and seems like it will just flip over and wasn't even able to get more than a foot off the ground the one time it did get off the ground. I was using a 3s 3300mah battery.

Do you think a 4s 3300mah battery will help it get off the ground? I do have one laying around so I want to try it. I'm just not 100% sure if the Naza can handle it since it's powered off the ESC's. What do you think? Safe to try the 4s 3300mah?

Anyways so it isn't working at all with the OSD gear on, and I'm video recording this which I might edit and upload soon but right now I need to catch my breath still. It was like 9:30pm and I am testing this stuff under my motion activated light in my back yard. I give up on the OSD and camera for now. So I take that gear off and I put it back to just the Naza and GPS and go back out flying. Keep in mind it's pitch black once I go out of range of the motion light.

I take off and fly a bit and it's flying well but I can barely see it when I'm more than 10 feet away so I land quick and go get the red white and blue mini led spot lights Paul from witespy gave me for my birthday a couple weeks ago. I put those on with velcro, 2 where the camera would go facing forward and 1 on the battery facing backwards. Then I go back to flying and start flying around the yard like I normally do. I can see the outlines of the trees so I know not to hit them, lately I've been daring and have been flying up and over the 50+ foot trees that line my house. So everything's going as usual and I'm a solid 100 feet away and 100 feet in the air and I sort of lose orientation a bit so I'm like what the heck I'll just failsafe back over here. So I activate RTL and it stops like it normally does but this time it started drifting a bit closer to a huge tree and was threatening to hit a branch and then fall from practically 100 feet in the air. So I was like oh sh*t and got out of failsafe and put the throttle on to gain somemore altitude, so I saved it from hitting the tree by going straight up a bit but it was still drifting and since I didn't have orientation I couldn't figure out which way was what. What really confused me was that the Naza VU unit was blinking red and it was on the side but more near the front and the red light was on the back and the red lights were drowning out the other lights. So by now I'm way in the air above the forrest tree line and I it's still drifting away from me and I can't get it to come back to me. Looking back on it the smart thing to do would of been to put on home lock or course lock but I was having problems flying in that mode earlier and did not get used to it. So in a panic I start trying to get my bearings and move the stick to the left and then right trying to get control back. No luck I end up moving in the opposite direction to the other side of the woods. By now it's nearly 1000 feet away from me and I've almost completely lost it from my line of sight. Then all of a sudden my 72mhz Futaba connection is lost and my fail safe has NOT been working at all when I turn my radio off in midair. It tends to just start shooting in any direction randomly. And that's exactly what it does at soooooooo far away from me soooo deep over the woods. So I'm like ohh crap! And I turn my radio off and sprint closer, and turn the radio back on and I saw the connection got back and it was sort of hovering there still drifting a bit and not flying away fast anymore so I put failsafe on. I flick RTL switch and just stare at the dim lights out in the distance, praying, thinking this is it.... this is what happens to my $700 FPV quad. I really blew it.. it start's slowly moving back a little bit, very slowly, then stops, starts moving back a bit more, then stops. And then it hovers there for a minute. The boom all of a sudden it lowers very very very fast basically throws itself into the ground. I noticed that it somehow didn't hit the top of a tree and made it to the ground it seemed and I could even see a bit of light peaking through the woods. I'm like oh god time to go for a run. I run inside grab a flashlight and put on some boots then basically sprint through the woods towards the light. I got closer and closer and eventually came up to it and saw that there was no damage. Thank god.... that was some messed up sh*t. I've been given a second chance. I found it at 10:02pm.

I realized if it had been daylight out and I couldn't see the lights glowing through the woods, I would of lost it. So I am very thankful this happend at night and not during the day. I could of been searching every corner of the woods for days and it's very rainy over here and everythings wet. I'm so damn lucky.

I will NOT fly more than 100 feet away until I have proper failsafe tested and working perfectly. And I will not fly more than 100 feet away until I have masted the home lock and course lock functions. That was an unbelievably stressful moment.

I've been zooming around with my HT-450 with open pilot board and HT-FPV with Naza GPS and everything's been great and I've really begun to master flying but I just got a huge wake up call right here that I still have some major things to learn. Sorry for typing a novel I'm just in the heat of the moment, I thought I lost my baby.

PS. That new FLIP FPV frame looks cool
TimeTrave1er is online now Find More Posts by TimeTrave1er
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:29 AM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,937 Posts
TimeTraveler, what do you mean by "its not working with the OSD gear on it" ... I'm not sure if you are saying its too heavy or there is no display, etc.

Man that sounds like a scary night Glad you got everything back ok.

It's happened to all of us at some point!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:21 AM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
512 Posts
I have to thank Tom for attending to my requests in such a timely manner. I have just ordered the Flip FPV from his store. Being different I thought I would see if I could get one with the natural greenish arms and cammo center plates. Tom said it wouldn't be a problem but it would take some extra time. This is what customer service is all about, Try explaining that to our overseas buddies and you would be lucky to get a response in a week!. Many thanks Tom, You have my recommendations!.

GG
Gadget-Geek is online now Find More Posts by Gadget-Geek
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:45 AM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
512 Posts
ZipTies?

Vantasstic, Is it me or do those motors in the pic you posted have zipties around them?, Would this be for balance or resonance?.
Gadget-Geek is online now Find More Posts by Gadget-Geek