SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:37 AM
Just Starting..
Joined Oct 2012
13 Posts
I had to get the props right for each of the motors. I set my Frame up in X
config so M1 and M3 rotate the same way and M2 and M4 Rotate the
other way. M2 and M4 have CCW props - the others on M1 and M3
are CW props. ( I am running gemfan 9X4 carbon filled)
I spent a few hours since I was having the same results in your first video
and started thinking it was to heavy.... I validated the props by
putting the props on a pencil an spinning them in the direction of the motors
if they are setup right - they should spin right off the pencil - best to do this
over carpet or grass - as if you have expensive props and one hits the
concrete floor cause you can't catch it off the pencil - it will chip... ask me
how I know..... (all part of the learning process)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTrave1er View Post
Feel free to be harsh, i'll take anything as long as it includes advice. But thanks for the info. I did read the Naza manaul but it just did not seem like the auto level was working for me... then again I didn't really get off the ground. So I'm assuming you have to be off the ground for the autolevel mode to do anything...makes sense.

I did the throttle calibration exactly how you said. I plugged the esc's into the Rx throttle chanel, full throttle on the Tx, power the esc's wait for beeps, lower throttle, beeps. I did all 4 at once with a 4 way connector. After I saw that the one doesn't start with the rest I did that one individually and that had no affect.

So now that you've identified that the Naza isn't the problem,

what about the props CW and CCW direction? Do I have them right? Assuming X is facing away from you / is CCW and \ is CW?

Or do you not think prop direction is a problem here? What would you recommend? Just pushing more throttle and lobbing it in the air and hope autolevel levels it out?

Thanks,
Matt

edit: Ok so I do have the CW and CCW props in the right spot. Great.. that leaves what? Pilot error? How do I get this thing in the air!!!
Kosmos is offline Find More Posts by Kosmos
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:13 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfaix View Post
Got the string chorus part as my ringtones.

Nice videos too!
Lmao nice
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:42 AM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,473 Posts
Trouble shooting checklist:
First check to see that your motors are in the correct order. Some FC (fight controllers) count from one clockwise, some counter CW.
Now make sure you are setup for X or +. Mine Naza reverted once.
Make sure motor one goes to the correct servo connector. Make sure your Rud, Elev, and Alis are all correct.
Make sure your FC is pointing the correct direction. Calibrate Esc, if necessary before hooking them to the FC.
Spin up the motors without props. How do you tell the direction? Put your hand lightly on them and you can feel it, give very little throttle. Never full throttle without props, they can get too hot without air flow.
Make sure your props are balanced and facing up. You can figure which way they need to turn just by rotating them by hand and see how they would bite the air, forward edge up. With Naza and MK: make sure you calibrate your Transmitter in the software, checking the channels. The throws need to be in certain perimeters.
Other misc things: battery charged and correct voltage? Tx on first? For mine, Esc plugged in and powered before Naza? I think that takes care of most major issues?

I've made all of these mistakes that can be made at least once, so don't feel bad! I Have 6 multicopters, two gaui-340, 1 Naza, 1 Multiwii and two Mikrokopters.
glmccready is online now Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
My first flight with FPV.

First FPV Flight (3 min 37 sec)
Ice Hound is offline Find More Posts by Ice Hound
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:03 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,943 Posts
The new HoverThings "FLIP FPV" frame...

Arms do not bend or flex, less drag, and are nearly unbreakable. We haven't succeeded in breaking one yet after many many crashes of multiple quads into concrete, signs, trees, other quads, etc. It will accept landing gear from the new "FLIP" frame.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:39 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Looks longer than the HT-FPV.

Is there a beta version, or are you going right to release?
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:55 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post

Arms do not bend or flex, less drag, and are nearly unbreakable. We haven't succeeded in breaking one yet after many many crashes of multiple quads into concrete, signs, trees, other quads, etc. It will accept landing gear from the new "FLIP" frame.
Tom - Pop me an email with pricing, I'll probably order some in for the flitelab for the Canadians.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:02 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,452 Posts
Like the new frame....is it available now?
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:14 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,596 Posts
Quote:

Very nice Tom. So on the arms...are they, perhaps, set up to match the upper screw hole spacing for the DJI arms. I could see these being used for different applications. What material are they made from...Delrin?
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:24 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,338 Posts
Ya the arms alone might be good for the DIY guys.

I'm guessing they are 1/4" G10.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:42 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Ya the arms alone might be good for the DIY guys.

I'm guessing they are 1/4" G10.
Yeah, Tom's teasing us with this one. Looking at the frame...it almost looks like you can mount the arms further in if you wanted to 'shorten' them....or maybe that's the Flip Quad frame that looks like that. Anyway...yeah, I'm really curious as I have a frame that takes DJI arms that I'd LOVE to bolt a set of Flip arms to...if the mount hole pattern matches....I hope, I hope, I hope...

Oh, Tom, how tall are the snap on legs...from ground to bottom surface of the arm?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:09 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Tom…..Looks absolutely fantastic!!! I am loving my FLIP and look forward to building a new FPV as well…..GREAT DESIGN work!!!
AlanFlorida is offline Find More Posts by AlanFlorida
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:16 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,943 Posts
Hi guys
The arms are G10. No, they do not match the DJI frame hole spacing, because that would take up a massive amount of space between the center plates (my holes are much closer together). The landing gear is Delrin, and snaps into place without removnig the arms. It can be installed and removed in seconds, no tools. The arms can be removed by removing three screws (one hex driver, no pliers or anything else).

Just in case the HT-FPV owners wanted to use the new style center plates, I made the FPV center plates accept HT-FPV arms. So if you wanted to, you could switch center plates, and then later switch to the new arms. I dont know if anyone will actually do this and I may just remove those arm slots eventunally.. but for now they are there.

It would be easier to just drill new holes through the DJI center plates.. but you *might* have to use plastic hardware since the DJI center plates act as a dist board.

The landing gear is short, about the length of the DJI landing gear. Just enough to clear a 2800mah battery. Other gear options will be avialble eventually.

We just really wanted a "sporty" and strong FPV frame. Crashed mine again the other day when I lost a prop at 75 feet. No damage
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Last edited by vic20owner; Dec 07, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:32 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,452 Posts
Where do you place the battery on this one? Looks like in the center?
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:45 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,596 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys
The arms are G10. No, they do not match the DJI frame hole spacing, because that would take up a massive amount of space between the center plates (my holes are much closer together). The landing gear is Delrin, and snaps into place without removnig the arms. It can be installed and removed in seconds, no tools. The arms can be removed by removing three screws (one hex driver, no pliers or anything else).

Just in case the HT-FPV owners wanted to use the new style center plates, I made the FPV center plates accept HT-FPV arms. So if you wanted to, you could switch center plates, and then later switch to the new arms. I dont know if anyone will actually do this and I may just remove those arm slots eventunally.. but for now they are there.

It would be easier to just drill new holes through the DJI center plates.. but you *might* have to use plastic hardware since the DJI center plates act as a dist board.

The landing gear is short, about the length of the DJI landing gear. Just enough to clear a 2800mah battery. Other gear options will be avialble eventually.

We just really wanted a "sporty" and strong FPV frame. Crashed mine again the other day when I lost a prop at 75 feet. No damage
Thanks for the info Tom. The frame I'm playing with now uses DJI arms. If the 'Flip arms and egs' provide the same height as the DJI arms then they'd work on my frame...with just drilling new mount holes for the arms. I'll keep an eye the HT website for when they are available. What colors? Orange and Black I'm guessing.

I asked in an e-mail, but maybe better answered here...got any weight ranges on the new FPV frame?

edit: re the Flip arm vs DJI arm bolt spacing. I'm not looking for a DJI 'replica' arm. I was just curious if the Flip arm bolt holes would line up with the upper four space mount holes in the DJI arm. The frame I'm trying now uses DJI arms, but it isn't a DJI frame. The upper and lower plates are ~1.5" apart, separated by spacers. I'd be looking at mounting the flat Flip arms only to the upper plate on the frame using the existing DJI mount hole spacing. Still...looking forward to seeing more on the arms and your new frames.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Vantasstic; Dec 07, 2012 at 07:17 PM.