SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:31 PM
BUILD.FLY.CRASH.REPEAT.
p0st4L's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2012
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
Actually the 3 lobe goes on the tx (on the quad). Let us know what your results are. I was interested in what difference it makes. About your feedback, is it constant? Does it get better with altitude? Is it lines across the video? Need more info
Feedback kicks up when about 100ft from base, at any alt. the image just starts to break apart. I was more concerned about returning to base instead of pushing it further when the crappy image started coming through... so next time I'll make the antenna swaps and see what happens.
p0st4L is online now Find More Posts by p0st4L
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:38 PM
Registered User
United States, CT
Joined Oct 2012
577 Posts
Ok guys I finally built my HT-FPV the other day and I'm as expected having some trouble getting it off the ground.

Specs:
Naza - Have GPS but not installed yet
iFlight iPower 2217Q 880kv
Next Level ESC with SimonK Firmware - 30A
4 to 1 Power Harness to hook it up
3s 2200 mah battery

I'm using a 3s 3300mah where the gopro camera would be to counter balance the thing to make CG right. I'm just trying to get off the ground at this point not add all my FPV gear. I am now stuck. I can't figure out how to get this thing up. So I need your help please

HT-FPV Help Needed (3 min 8 sec)


Does the Naza appear to be working? I have it in altitude mode and it just blinks yellow. If it's on manaul mode it doesn't blink at all. You can see in the video, I power on the quad it does the start up color flashing, blinks green three times, then just blinks only yellow nonstop while in alt mode or gps mode. Is something wrong with my Naza?

As you can the quad seems to be tilting as it's trying to take off. I might of just ruined a pair of carbon fiber props because they hit the grass and chipped a tiny microbit at the end. How are the props supposed to be? Since it's an X formation quad copter the / side of it is CCW and the \ side of it is CW right? Am I wrong about that? Because it seems that the props are fighting eachother as I'm trying to lift off. Maybe the two front props are CW and the back are CCW? Or the otherway around? I don't know I just need a little reassuring and will be very greatful for any.

Lastly, as you can see the back right motor doesn't turn at first when I arm the motors. It isn't until I push the throttle up and move the right stick that it starts to turn. I have done the throttle calibration, and I have gone into the Naza assistant software and to the Motor Mixer tab and made the Motor Idle Speed to the highest setting. Still that motor does not move when I arm the quad. I'm pretty sure the quad should still be able to fly because the ESC and Motor both work, it's just delayed or something.. as you can see in the video it tilts to the otherside with both working motors so I'm not sure why it is tilting like this.

I just want to get my new HT-FPV in the air. And I don't want to break any more carbon fiber props or anything for that matter (back to using gemfan props).

-So is it something with the Naza? Do the lights indicate I'm doing something wrong? Should it not be blinking yellow like that?

-Or do I have the CW and CCW props in the wrong spots?

Any suggestions/comments/criticism will be very very much appretiated. This is literally all I care about. I need to fly!

Thanks,
Matt
TimeTrave1er is offline Find More Posts by TimeTrave1er
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:47 PM
Registered User
United States, CT
Joined Oct 2012
577 Posts
Oh also the Naza appears the blink red when the quad starts to struggle to get off the ground. What does this mean? Also in the last video you can see at the end the Naza blinks red and then makes the start up noise again. Does this indicate a power problem maybe? Weird..

I am not familiar with how to fly a quad so I am: Arming the quad, putting the throttle up slowly more and more, then fooling around with the right sticks because the quad just starts tilting out of control when I put more throttle in. Any tips on how to fly would be appretiated too.

Thanks
TimeTrave1er is offline Find More Posts by TimeTrave1er
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:06 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Not to sound harsh, but did you read the Naza manual? The yellow flashing IS the indicator you are in Autolevel mode. Flashing red IS the indicator of the battery level dropping below your battery alarm settings via the Naza firmware. No flashing IS the indicator you are in Manual mode. All is working properly as per the Naza instructions.

For the motor starting issue...yeah, having the same thing with my Naza, with DJI ESCs and NTM 750kv motors. I have to manually 'spin up' motors that aren't catching right. I didn't have this problem with the same setup using other motors, so I'm thinking it's a NTM motor thing. I'm not impressed with them and will likely change them out.

How did you do your throttle calibration? I've found I get best results by connecting them one-at-a-time to the Rx throttle channel, turning on the Tx, going full throttle, connect power to the ESC, wait for the beeps, reduce the throttle, wait for the beeps, power down the ESC and repeat. I've tried doing calibrations simultaneously without good results, so one at a time for me

edit: To add...the Naza assistant show which way the motors are supposed to turn...make sure you do it exactly as shown. The front left motor is CW, the front right motor is CCW, the left rear motor is CCW, and the right rear is CW. If you set them up any other way you're not going to have any success.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:17 PM
Registered User
United States, CT
Joined Oct 2012
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Not to sound harsh, but did you read the Naza manual? The yellow flashing IS the indicator you are in Autolevel mode. Flashing red IS the indicator of the battery level dropping below your battery alarm settings via the Naza firmware. No flashing IS the indicator you are in Manual mode. All is working properly as per the Naza instructions.

For the motor starting issue...yeah, having the same thing with my Naza, with DJI ESCs and NTM 750kv motors. I have to manually 'spin up' motors that aren't catching right. I didn't have this problem with the same setup using other motors, so I'm thinking it's a NTM motor thing. I'm not impressed with them and will likely change them out.

How did you do your throttle calibration? I've found I get best results by connecting them one-at-a-time to the Rx throttle channel, turning on the Tx, going full throttle, connect power to the ESC, wait for the beeps, reduce the throttle, wait for the beeps, power down the ESC and repeat. I've tried doing calibrations simultaneously without good results, so one at a time for me.
Feel free to be harsh, i'll take anything as long as it includes advice. But thanks for the info. I did read the Naza manaul but it just did not seem like the auto level was working for me... then again I didn't really get off the ground. So I'm assuming you have to be off the ground for the autolevel mode to do anything...makes sense.

I did the throttle calibration exactly how you said. I plugged the esc's into the Rx throttle chanel, full throttle on the Tx, power the esc's wait for beeps, lower throttle, beeps. I did all 4 at once with a 4 way connector. After I saw that the one doesn't start with the rest I did that one individually and that had no affect.

So now that you've identified that the Naza isn't the problem,

what about the props CW and CCW direction? Do I have them right? Assuming X is facing away from you / is CCW and \ is CW?

Or do you not think prop direction is a problem here? What would you recommend? Just pushing more throttle and lobbing it in the air and hope autolevel levels it out?

Thanks,
Matt

edit: Ok so I do have the CW and CCW props in the right spot. Great.. that leaves what? Pilot error? How do I get this thing in the air!!!
TimeTrave1er is offline Find More Posts by TimeTrave1er
Last edited by TimeTrave1er; Dec 01, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:19 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
I soldered a jst connector to my VU for the Naza....that way i can power it separately... also it is necessary to power it separately depending on your escs
where does the jst connector plug into (where is that soldered to?) Does the other end of the jst attach to the power distro board?

Have a picture?
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:20 PM
Gary
glmccready's Avatar
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,083 Posts
To get my Naza to work correctly I had to plug in the battery to the ESCs/motors, and then power the Naza a few seconds later. So the ESC "chirp" and then play music when I plug in the Naza. No idea why that works but it does for me.
glmccready is online now Find More Posts by glmccready
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:27 PM
Registered User
United States, CT
Joined Oct 2012
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwkeeper View Post
where does the jst connector plug into (where is that soldered to?) Does the other end of the jst attach to the power distro board?

Have a picture?
I did the same thing. I soldered a jst to the VU and connected it to the jst that's connected to the deans connector for the main power battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
To get my Naza to work correctly I had to plug in the battery to the ESCs/motors, and then power the Naza a few seconds later. So the ESC "chirp" and then play music when I plug in the Naza. No idea why that works but it does for me.
Interesting... hmmm. I'm not enitrely sure the Naza is my problem here.

Do you think it would help to put the GPS on and take off in GPS position hold? I'm afraid to put the GPS on since the thing seems to just flip over when I try and take off. Man I need some help lol
TimeTrave1er is offline Find More Posts by TimeTrave1er
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:53 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTrave1er View Post
Do you think it would help to put the GPS on and take off in GPS position hold? I'm afraid to put the GPS on since the thing seems to just flip over when I try and take off. Man I need some help lol
Leave the GPS off. It's not going to save your copter from flipping over. Also, I'd try to lift off in Manual mode. Naza autolevel mode operates the throttle differently. Put in in Manual, arm, and slowly advance the throttle. Oh, make sure your Naza gains are in the 150 area...to low and it'll be uncontrollable, to high and it'll oscillate badly. Take a good, clear up close picture of your prop installation to verify you've got them on right. I have no idea what you mean by \ and /. Look at page 37 of the Naza manual That shows the prop/motor rotation for the different frame configurations.

edit: Oh yeah, and make sure your motor connections to the FC are exactly as shown in the manual too.

another edit: Don't install a battery up in the GoPro location. Just put your flight battery in the back and try to hover. You've probably got it way to nose heavy if you're putting a 3300mAh battery up front.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Vantasstic; Dec 01, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:56 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTrave1er View Post
I did the same thing. I soldered a jst to the VU and connected it to the jst that's connected to the deans connector for the main power battery.
I've never soldered a jst connector, I might just use an ec3. didn't know you could I thought they were crimped. I don't have any so thats my first problem, got plenty of ec3s though.
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:56 PM
Registered User
United States, CT
Joined Oct 2012
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Leave the GPS off. It's not going to save your copter from flipping over. Also, I'd try to lift off in Manual mode. Naza autolevel mode operates the throttle differently. Put in in Manual, arm, and slowly advance the throttle. Oh, make sure your Naza gains are in the 150 area...to low and it'll be uncontrollable, to high and it'll oscillate badly. Take a good, clear up close picture of your prop installation to verify you've got them on right. I have no idea what you mean by \ and /. Look at page 37 of the Naza manual That shows the prop/motor rotation for the different frame configurations.

edit: Oh yeah, and make sure your motor connections to the FC are exactly as shown in the manual too.

another edit: Don't install a battery up in the GoPro location. Just put your flight battery in the back and try to hover. You've probably got it way to nose heavy if you're putting a 3300mAh battery up front.
Ok thanks for the advice I won't mount the GPS and I won't mount the 3300 battery where the gopro would be to counterweight. I figured it wouldn't fly without the counterweight though. We'll see.

Also somebody on youtube pointed out something very important. He noticed in my video that one of the motors that's supposed to be turning CW is turning CCW. So now I need to figure out how to fix that. Hmmm. I will study the motor connections in the manual more. I'm not exactly sure how to get the motor to spin the opposite direction.

Thanks Van
Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwkeeper View Post
I've never soldered a jst connector, I might just use an ec3. didn't know you could I thought they were crimped. I don't have any so thats my first problem, got plenty of ec3s though.
It's very easy to solder the jst connector. Just take a wire that you don't need that has a jst connector and cut it. Then solder the red and black of the jst connector wire to the red and black of the VU. But you can do it with whatever connector you prefer. If you have a wire harness you can modify that or use an extra connection on it if it has one and if you have a power distro board you can use that too.
TimeTrave1er is offline Find More Posts by TimeTrave1er
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:43 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
Cervanchez's Avatar
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTrave1er View Post
Ok thanks for the advice I won't mount the GPS and I won't mount the 3300 battery where the gopro would be to counterweight. I figured it wouldn't fly without the counterweight though. We'll see.

Also somebody on youtube pointed out something very important. He noticed in my video that one of the motors that's supposed to be turning CW is turning CCW. So now I need to figure out how to fix that. Hmmm. I will study the motor connections in the manual more. I'm not exactly sure how to get the motor to spin the opposite direction.

Thanks Van


It's very easy to solder the jst connector. Just take a wire that you don't need that has a jst connector and cut it. Then solder the red and black of the jst connector wire to the red and black of the VU. But you can do it with whatever connector you prefer. If you have a wire harness you can modify that or use an extra connection on it if it has one and if you have a power distro board you can use that too.
Theres your problem if u don't know how to change the motor direction. Chances are u didn't get them all right, so you need top watch them closely and verify theyr rotating the right direction, if not then swap any two of the three motor to esc connections to reverse it.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:24 PM
Registered User
United States, CT
Joined Oct 2012
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
Theres your problem if u don't know how to change the motor direction. Chances are u didn't get them all right, so you need top watch them closely and verify theyr rotating the right direction, if not then swap any two of the three motor to esc connections to reverse it.
Yes I am 99% sure that was the problem. I mean it certainly is A problem. Hopefully it is was the only thing really screwing me up. I just figured out how to change the direction and did it and all the motors should be spinning the correct ways.

I will do a new test very shortly.

Thanks for the help everybody, any further comments are still highly appretiated. Sometimes I ask questions even though I am fairly sure I know the answer but I doubt myself because I like to be extra sure.
TimeTrave1er is offline Find More Posts by TimeTrave1er
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:31 PM
KK4LIK
theSouthGA's Avatar
United States, GA, Ocilla
Joined May 2012
91 Posts
...
theSouthGA is offline Find More Posts by theSouthGA
Last edited by theSouthGA; Dec 01, 2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Didn't fully read post.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:52 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTrave1er View Post
Yes I am 99% sure that was the problem. I mean it certainly is A problem. Hopefully it is was the only thing really screwing me up. I just figured out how to change the direction and did it and all the motors should be spinning the correct ways.

I will do a new test very shortly.

Thanks for the help everybody, any further comments are still highly appretiated. Sometimes I ask questions even though I am fairly sure I know the answer but I doubt myself because I like to be extra sure.
Okay...if you didn't know how to reverse the motor rotation...do you know how to tell the proper orientation for the propellers for each motor? Along with the motosr turning in the right direction you also have to have the correct direction prop that matches with the rotation direction.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Show Us Your Ground Station !!!! FPV Ground Station Design and Idea's found here :) JettPilot FPV Equipment 4070 Aug 29, 2014 06:11 AM
Discussion Show us your FPV Multicopter Derek_S FPV Talk 194 Feb 08, 2013 12:07 PM
Discussion FPV Successful? Show us setup and parts list Royalson FPV Talk 0 Mar 10, 2012 08:25 AM
Discussion Show us your FPV / RVP ground Base set up in action Trackercal FPV Talk 94 Nov 05, 2010 10:21 AM
Discussion Show Us Your FPV Helo Set Up Trackercal FPV Talk 2 May 11, 2009 11:05 PM