HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:12 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylite View Post
Awesome as usual, you have some metallic kahoona's there Juz.
What's the damage report?
He said, on the CC thread, 'It's a HT-FPV frame...no damage'. What a ride though.

Tonight I took my Tricopter in the back yard for a GoPro test. Things went well. When I reviewed the video, guess what...props!!!! Props in the video...man...I don't have that issue with my HT-FPV frame. I think my GoPro with Sunex lens would keep from showing the props at the expense of a narrower FOV. I hope to have some actual 'out and about' flight test with it this weekend to compare. The HT-FPV frame design is really nice in keeping the video view free of 'distractions'.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:22 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,657 Posts
Whilst i await stock of this nice frame a few questions...

On this picture ↓

The width from motor shaft to motor shaft appears to be 18" (457mm)
but on the hoverthings website Juz states the width is 17" (435mm)

Has the size increased from the beta design?

also as the motor spacing is different from a conventional quad does it fly different or does the FC handle the changes?

thanks!
badlands is offline Find More Posts by badlands
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:40 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlands View Post

On this picture ↓

also as the motor spacing is different from a conventional quad does it fly different or does the FC handle the changes?

thanks!
I don't think there's any 'size' changes from proto to release versions...probably just in the measuring.
Set your FC to Quad X configuration and go fly...nothing speical past that other than tuning.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:08 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2009
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlands View Post

On this picture ↓

thanks!
In that photo, Alex has used the "older" style motor mounts, the new mounts (in the bag in the rear of the photo) bring the motors slightly inboard.
juz70 is offline Find More Posts by juz70
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:20 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I don't think there's any 'size' changes from proto to release versions...probably just in the measuring.
Set your FC to Quad X configuration and go fly...nothing speical past that other than tuning.
Tuning is the key, thanks to Van and helping us with some starting points you can get this flying pretty well.
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Last edited by shdwkeeper; Jun 06, 2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:30 AM
PastorBikerBrewerPilot
United States, NE, Central City
Joined Mar 2012
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juz70 View Post
In that photo, Alex has used the "older" style motor mounts, the new mounts (in the bag in the rear of the photo) bring the motors slightly inboard.
Actually, I not only used an older style of mounts, but also enjoyed an older style of wine: I believe it was a 1996 chateauneuf du pape to be exact. Helps the build, but not sure about the flight... Yet.
The RevKev is offline Find More Posts by The RevKev
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:51 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2009
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The RevKev View Post
Actually, I not only used an older style of mounts, but also enjoyed an older style of wine: I believe it was a 1996 chateauneuf du pape to be exact. Helps the build, but not sure about the flight... Yet.
Sorry Kev. I thought that quad was Alex's (enthlapy). Nice quad BTW. Wine always helps
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Ht-fpv setup

Frame: HT-FPV
Flight Controller: Arduino Mega (Naza , Quadrino or Op CC)
Power Distribution: MultiCopter Connection Board 
Batteries: Need Help!
ESC: Turnigy Plush 18A
Motors: Turnigy 2217 1050kv
Props: 8"
Rx:
Lights: possibly
Camera: GoPro HD Hero
Video Tx:
OSD:

I need some help choosing a battery.
rphillips is offline Find More Posts by rphillips
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:20 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
>MFW people talk about motor mounts and I'm then reminded of the motor plate I put on backwards.. And I just saw that no, the motor mount holes are not centered on this plate. This could be why my quad has a habit of yawing a bit when I throttle up. Time to heat up the spacers, melt the loctite and take out the screws...

EDIT: And done, well, that was easier than expected. I'm definitely buying more of this loctite later on. Strong enough to hold the screws in, but easy to melt with a lighter if you need to get them out again.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Last edited by WiseDuck; Apr 20, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:02 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2009
738 Posts
It was bound to happen soon...
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,670 Posts
Quote:
What happened, get kicked by a kangaroo, run over it with your car?
scrape is offline Find More Posts by scrape
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:30 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,613 Posts
Quote:
What the 'ell!!!!! You broke an arm...but not the prop???? VIDEO!!!! I'm sure you're got a spare 450 arm set laying around (hopefully) to get back in the air quickly. Love watching your vids...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:56 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,613 Posts
Whew....I had a semi-close call with my HT-FPV frame today. Long story short...I bought a GoPro w/Sunex lens (used) a while back from a fellow RCGer. Well, I've not had good luck with it. It'll sometime run fine and sometimes just lock up and won't respond to anything. I flew it LOS in my tricopter today and it recorded with no problems...so...I put it in my HT-FPV quad for a flight. About 3 or 4 minutes into the flight the video froze up...ack!!!...and I was in a little canyon by FPV. I had live audio, but that was it. I flipped on my ATTI mode on my controller, and started (trying) to fly back from my last position without crashing into anything. I could here it was still flying so just hoped for the best. The video glasses I was using aren't full immersion so I can see over/under them for LOS...luckily. I started looking for my quad by LOS and FINALLY found it...above and clear of the canyon wall I was flying by. Whew...back to home by LOS and I installed my standard lens GoPro (which has never given me a problem, and finished flying off the battery. I'm going to count myself lucky today. While I might not have 'forever lost it' (it was a small canyon), it wouldn't of been fun searching through the scrub brush to find...so today was my lucky day.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 04:18 PM
Too many hobbies!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2005
145 Posts
Had a chance for a quick FPV flight on the HT-FPV frame and using new pair of Dominator goggles. At least I didn't go in the lake. Switched back from a secondary camera to using the GoPro video output. With that and the Dominators compared to the older Fatsharks I've been using there is a lot of difference in perspective and distance. If that's not good enough I'll find a few other excuses I think I need to take the 360 degree sonar range finder off one of my robotics projects and put it on the frame. Start sending alarm tones when anything is in proximity out of camera view. Flipped since the propeller came off when it started chopping the palm leaves. No damage other than having to re-tap the threads on the right rear motor. Not even a broken prop.

HT-FPV frame test flight (1 min 15 sec)
fairview1100 is offline Find More Posts by fairview1100
Last edited by fairview1100; Apr 21, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 04:19 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairview1100 View Post
Had a chance for a quick FPV flight on the HT-FPV frame and using new pair of Dominator goggles. At least I didn't go in the lake.

[URL=http://player.vimeo.com/video/40782650" width="500" height="341" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen>[/URL]
Nope...just copy the link from the address bar and paste that in your reply..then we'll be able to view it on the thread. I think you probably tried to 'imbed' it...doesn't work right.
RCG Plus Member