HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2003, 09:04 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
1 Posts
best GWS plane for newbie

Hi guys
As I say I am a newbie, I fly slope glider (still learning) but would like to have a go at electric park flyers.
Which plane would you recommand to start with?
I must admit I just love the TM, but I suppose the SS or the starter would not be bad either.
Can I have your opignion?
How does these planes fly in a bit of wind? I live in south UK and no wind days are rare...
Could these handle 10mph of wind?
I notice as well on GWS website that you can get different motors: IPS or 280 (for the TM)?
What difference and which one to go for?
Thanks for your help
A future GWS addict...
Mikael
navrog is offline Find More Posts by navrog
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2003, 09:54 AM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
e-starter can handle 10mph winds, though flying into it will be pretty slow -- tm would not, slow stick would be hard pressed and would get blown around ALOT

I'd get an e-starter if you have previous R/C experience. It's a good trainer and can do some basic aerobatics with a decent motor. Don't get IPS system or 280 speed motors... they are not going to work outside in any wind. The new e-starters come with a gws 350c motor. That motor with the GWS 8 cell 9.6.v 730mAh NimH packs will fly it pretty well... i can do loops, rolls, fly around inverted, etc. even in 5mph-10mph winds (just gotta be careful )
headless is offline Find More Posts by headless
Old Oct 24, 2003, 09:56 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
The slow stick is the best starter plane IMHO. It will get bounced a bit by 10mph winds. Get some training help and you will learn in no time and be able to pick a second airplane for windy days.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2003, 12:09 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,564 Posts
Coming from slope soaring you can skip the newbie planes that don't handle wind.

If you can handle a slope ship in variable winds then you can handle an "aileron trainer" just fine. You *might* be fine skipping to warbirds, but that depends on how good a slope pilot you've become. They are fast and maneuverable- but no more so than a good aileron sloper and you'll be flying them in (relatively) calm air so they won't bounce around so much.

I've only been doing the park flier thing for a short time, but I've flown slope and thermal, and the reflexes and eyes-on-the-plane you have to develop for good slope soaring (especially when wind is plentiful and turbulent) are far more demanding than my park flyers.

Learning aerobatics is a whole nother skill set, but slope experience will have you prepared for keeping the airplane aloft and alive.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Oct 24, 2003, 09:16 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,112 Posts
dont fly a mustang
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Oct 24, 2003, 09:44 PM
Oregon
Joined Sep 2003
133 Posts
Navrog

Try the Watt Age Hawk. A little e powered glider that will flat scoot
when you want it too. I have one and it is very responsive yet can be mellow at low throttle settings. I just have Al and El to keep the weight down. Start with no more than 3/16" up and down on the Al.
Scratch is offline Find More Posts by Scratch
Old Oct 24, 2003, 09:47 PM
Fishers, IN
Joined Aug 2003
134 Posts
E-starter. marvelous plane. flys well, fun, easy to fix, fun, looks good, has some room for growth (you wont be borred in 4 weeks).
msquared is offline Find More Posts by msquared